Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Free Member

I get no sound from the captured video. running windows XP with VirtualDub

my hook up is like this for sound

Jvc Vcr (rca > out > ati aiw rca-in

In Virtual Dub tried all the sound settings... no sound still.

no clue what to try next.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Did you enable Audio Preview in VirtualDub? You cannot capture while preview, it will drop frames, but you can pre-capture verify if audio is present.

If not a VirtualDub setup issue...
Go into Device Manager, and take a screen shot of the audio/video drivers list. Let's see if all are installed, and if not having conflicts.

Was this a clean XP install?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Audio preview in VirtualDub is off

screenshots posted.

when choosing the option Ati Tv Wonder USB 2.0 Video Audio in VirtualDub audio...VirtualDub crashes.

I got windows XP off the net ...maybe have a bad copy... can you please send windows xp iso if you have it.
Thanks for all your help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg device manager.JPG (39.2 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg VirtualDub.JPG (51.1 KB, 12 downloads)
06-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Clean install = new install, not reusing old existing computer, was fully reformatted.

Random internet downloading OS is rarely a good idea. I'll PM you some info on where to acquire a legit copy.

In VirtualDub, don't try to select ATI. "Capture device" is correct.

Now select "Enable audio playback" and you should hear audio. Again, that's just preview, you cannot capture with this card with playback enabled. But it will capture the audio. To actually listen to the audio, either Y-split the RCA audio output, or also output from a second audio output on the VCR (some have this feature, some do not). Then take the split audio, and feed it to your audio card line in, or even directly to some speakers. VirtualDub is recording from the capture device, the Line In should not interfere with it.

06-27-2019, 11:34 PM
Free Member

Yes, new install, HDD was formatted.

I captured a test video and still when playing back the test file...no sound

Maybe it is my Windows XP... That would be great if I can get info where to get a legit copy.

Thanks

-- merged --

This became very frustrating please help...I reinstall clean windows xp...still no sound when capturing. please help me.
07-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Free Member

Can you post a screenshot of the Properties Window for your Operating System?

right-click the computer icon and select properties

-- merged --

This will not be 'very helpful' without knowing the state of your operating system from a screen shot.

However from the screen shot you posted before it appears you do not have the:

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver

installed so the Audio Driver for the capture device has 'nothing' to plug into.. and that is why you are getting a Yellow Safety Warning Cone in the Device Manage tree. Its warning you the audio device driver is attempting to load.. but the socket it plugs into in the operating system is missing.

This was a common occurence back in the day as Windows XP was really at least four different operating system releases. Each Service Pack added new features in addition to the security fixes.

Without knowing (which) windows XP your running.. I can only guess the fact you got a specific warning message in the Device Manager means it knows what is missing.. so it is probably XP2 or XP3.. (instead of XP1 or XP0)

To get it to work you have to:

1. Uninstall the Audio Device driver
2. Install the (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver
3. Then re-install the Audio Device driver

It will then insert itself into the socket the High Definition Audio class driver exposes, and create an instance of the device driver down in the 'Sound, video and game controllers' collection of devices.

I am bounding into this discussion without the proper information to guide you, but I hope that gives you an idea of what is going on.

These might provide some better background information:

how do you correct the microsoft hd audio bus not installed error on xp sp3 so i can install realtek hd audio controller driver

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver version 1.0a available for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver available for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Window 2000

I am also not certain if you are speaking about the:

AIW USB2.0 N
or
ATI TV Wonder 600

They tend to get referred to by each others names.

If its the former (the AIW USB2.0N) please be aware that the cdrom that came with that device specifically 'works' only with Windows XP SP1.

The cdrom disk ID is: 180-V01089-100

The last three digits indicate which XP Service Pack the installer was designed to work with. It will fail to install correctly on versions of XP1a, XP2, XP3 but will work on XP0, XP1.

The device drivers are on the cdrom and can be installed 'manually' on XP0, XP1, XP1a, XP2, XP3 by pointing the Windows Device Driver Installer at the specific directory with the drivers.. however, the cdrom includes the capture software that ATI bundled with the AIW USB2.0N.

For AIW video cards this a bigger deal, not so much for the AIW USB2.0N, because the video capture cards could use the GPU of the video capture card to run graphic "filters" over the video real time to clean it up. The USB version has no GPU so it doesn't matter as much. VirtualDub would work just as well and be easier to setup.

The ATI bundled software for the video capture cards could also run some compression routines on the GPU so that it could produce MPEG2 DVD compliant video files, or other types of compressed video files 'partially' by using the video card GPU. The USB version cannot do this and must stream fully Uncompressed video over the USB2.0 connection to the PC where it can be compressed only with 'software'.

Generally people will use the native ATI Bundled capture software if they want a hardware assisted compressed video file result. And they will use VirtualDub if all they need is an Uncompressed .AVI file which they plan to further process in some other editing and compression software later. With a video capture card you can choose between the two options. With the USB capture device you generally capture straight to Uncompressed .AVI and do the rest later.

VirtualDub (can) do software compression 'on the fly' in realtime and store everything in whatever compressed format you like, but you run the risk of overloading the CPU and missing 'frames' which causes 'frame drop' and can lead to lip sync issues in the final video. Generally you don't want to try to over tax the CPU while making a capture through a USB video capture device. (And) that includes turning off audio playback while capturing. The audio will be captured, but it simply won't be played back during the capture session. This maximizes the chances of keeping audio and video in sync. For even more risk avoidance you can also turn-off video playback during capture and get the best capture possible.. then review it after the capture to make sure everything is alright.

The (AIW USB2.0N) is perfect for laptops running Windows XP. To get the best of both worlds when choosing between Uncompressed capture or Compressed capture you can choose a Third option. Usually the choice between Uncompressed and Compressed is to save disk space, but it costs time on the CPU and for Mobile CPUs that can be higher than you would like. The Third option is to use a 'Lossless' compression that 'squeezes' the file quickly to a smaller size, without over taxing the Mobile CPU and saves disk space.. but not as much as you could save with a fully Compressed file.

This Third option is also 'Lossless' meaning unlike Compressed files, nothing is lost during the 'Lossless compression' meaning later you can get it 'all back' and then run a heavy duty Compressor on a bigger PC later.

The 'Lossless' options are Huffyuv or Lagarith. Huffyuv is by far the most used Lossless Compressor, and lightest on the CPU. The Lagarith however is more popular with Professionals who have the CPU to spare, but really want to save the most disk space in a Lossless format such that they can get it all back to work with later.

VirtualDub has 'filters' or compression algorithms for Huffyuv and Lagarith which you can choose to use during a Capture session by configuring it to do so before starting the capture.
07-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Free Member

Hi, ok will give that a try... I am running windows XP sp2... now trying to find the download file (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver...not easy finding drivers for old software.

Last edited by priya69; 07-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.
07-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Free Member

The High Definition Audio class driver is attached in the two last links.

You can download it from other sources, but its probably best to download it from Microsoft.

Be sure to uninstall the audio driver if possible first, otherwise you may have trouble getting it to (try and insert itself again).

Generally once a device driver has thrown a (yellow cone) its given up and will not try again until you specifically remove it and reinstall it, or try disabling it and re-enabling it. The disable/re-enable is not as certain to work as removing it first and then reinstalling.

Also.. be aware of what was said above ^ the cdrom was designed to install everything only on XPS1, if you are on XPSP2 then you have already overshot what it was designed to work with. Its possible the XPSP2 'design' for UUA had changed and that is why the device driver did not fit.. they kept re-releasing the same interface over the generation of XP tweaking things. If you go back to a base install for XPSP1 its very likely you will not need the UUA device driver at all. Everything will just.. work. I'm preparing a physical machine with XPSP1 to test the cdrom install as I am typing this and should have the results in a few moments.

After everything is properly installed and working, then you can apply Service Pack updates.. if you like.. but really XPSP1 is the prime optimal for this device. I would stick with that unless you have a particular reason for going with XPSP2. they started introducing the Firewall and Security Action Center with SP2 and things went down hill performance wise from there. You will notice a Performance "bump" going with SP1 over SP2.. its real.. its not imaginary.
07-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Free Member

Really appreciate all this info... will install Windows XP SP1 after seeing your results...will need to find a good copy first... I tried the links for the High Definition Audio class driver but did not find any link to download it...maybe I need to look closer...need better reading glasses.
07-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Free Member

Generally.. I find it best not to chase the UUA and do a reinstall of the operating system. But that is my choice.

XPSP0 and XPSP1 are the best, most stable versions but they come with cavets. SP0 could only support up to 137 GB partitions and activation required a live internet connection to even generate a visible activation code on screen.. so it wasn't all puppies and rainbows. XPSP1 however was very stable for a very long time. People forget how long.

XPSP2 only came along after a massive worm attack pretty much forced them to.. and it shows.. its got reluctance and disabled new services all over the place. It was a bad update.

XPSP3 was 'meh' more a phoning it in thing than anything else.. more trouble for users.. but it did start adding many familar tools the earlier version did not have. It was the last hurrah.. and people remember it fondly.. but it was broken.. no doubt about that.. it needed lots of patching.
07-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Free Member

Ok, will try to find a good copy off Windows XP SP1...is it possible you can send me your Windows SP1 iso...Please
07-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Free Member

No I don't think I can send you a copy of the XP media without getting into the details of how its going to be activated. I think I have a 120 day demo installer for XP somewhere, but it would take time to track down.

Its best you figure out how your going to use it long term first. Some people even buy an old PC with a Dell or HP copy of Windows XP already on it, or with the recovery disks so that long term they do not have to activate, its BIOS activated and they don't have to worry about Microsoft activation at all.

Long term support for the XP operating system is something best sorted out by the individual.

Your other option is clearly to install the device drivers yourself on the XP operating system that you have now. That has already been sorted out and it is an option that will work, but you'll likely want to use VirtualDub rather than try to install the ATI MMC 9.02 < that doesn't buy you a lot anyway for this device so no great loss.

The only problem you will have however is the (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver first then the install of the capture device audio driver on top of that. Its a problem, but is solvable.

I completed my install with XPSP1 and the cdrom from ATI 180-V01089-100.

Tips:

Don't plug the device into the computer until prompted by the installer, insert the cdrom first and let it start up, Press Install and use the Express option to install everything. It will then prompt you to connect the device, which may take up to 1 minute with no visual feedback that the operating system is detecting that something has been plugged in. Simply walk away or get some coffee.. when the installer detects the OS trying to install drivers for the device, it will intercept the call and continue to install device drivers and DirectX and then a software patch for the operating system.. this may all take up to 5 minutes. It will then also ask for your permission to install the Guide+ program.. give it permission and it will complete that and the MMC install then suggest you reboot the system, let it do that.

Upon reboot you may want to "proactively" unplug the device before it gets to the operating system because the software patch to the operating system will update the USB 2.0 device support to "High Speed" support. USB 2.0 had two speeds, legacy and high speed. The video capture device "needs" high speed to work. If its left plugged in then the updated device driver will not be installed and the TV tuner app will fail to load saying the connection is too slow.

If you did unplug the device before the operating system booted, then it will reinstall the device with the new USB 2.0 high speed support and the device drivers for the device inserted into its software sockets properly.

Then you should get a gadget bar on the Right side of the screen, select the Top icon for the TV tuner app and it should attempt First time setup.. autoscan for channels can be aborted once it is started since there are no NTSC analog channels or QAM Cable channels it can find.. aborting simply skips the step and proceeds setting up the TV application.

If it does not start, there may be a problem with your motherboard or video card device drivers, if they do not fully support DirectX9.0 then the TV tuner application will fail to start and suggest running diagnostics.. these are usually inaccurate and can point to the wrong problem with your system. Generally if your motherboard and video card device drivers are up to date and DirectX works with them.. you won't see this problem.

Clarification: You "can" install Windows XP with default out of the box device drivers, that are lowest common denominator and fail to support DirectX9.0 properly. These won't work normally. You need the WHQL or Manufacturer approved and provided device drivers for the motherboard and video card. If you don't have them there are options online like "Snappy Driver" which can find equivalents for you.. but that is an advanced topic. Mostly your system should be fully setup before adding third party products like this.. and it won't be an issue.

After First configuration and the TV tuner application starts, you can click the Coax Cable icon to "switch" the video input from the Tuner to Composite, click again and it will switch to S-Video and round robin back to the TV tuner again.

Be careful on first start of the TV tuner application, if the Audio driver is working it could blow out your speakers or headphones due to the static it detects from the tuner.

That about all I can think of, everything generally works after that. You may want to investigate VirtualDub if you use VirtualDub across many machines and versions of operating systems.. its rather consistent. The ATI MMC TV tuner application can capture video and has a few controls for adjusting brightness, contrast and hue or saturation.. or adjusting the compression ratio of the files it makes. But in general I find the ATI MMC TV tuner application a bit overkill and lethargic simply for capturing video. that's my opinion.

attached are screenshots of the machine and the device drivers that were just installed:

(note: the video controller device driver was installed after this screen shot so that the TV tune app would start)

(note2: this device has the "one-driver" problem common to many video capture devices, its an advanced thing to explain, but while VirtualDub will work with this video capture device.. many other third party video capture software will be unable to capture the audio. Capturing audio with this device at the same time as video works for the ATI MMC TV tuner application and it will work with VirtualDub, but most likely fail for other Third Party capture software.)

(note3: the MVD - is the Macrovision Copyright Detection driver which scans the VBI for Copyright signals. the PCD - is the Parental Control Detection driver which scans for age appropriate content signals in the video.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg os.JPG (30.3 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg AIW USB2.0N.JPG (59.3 KB, 6 downloads)

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-04-2019 at 11:44 PM.
07-04-2019, 11:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

I don't agree that SP2 isn't the best OS for ATI AIW. I've been using it for that for more than a decade now. non-SP and SP1 had issues, and SP3 was just "security" junk on SP2 that caused dropped frames. SP1 does work, but certain software balks at it.

However, I do think the issue is simply a bad install.
Or lack of a good audio card.
Or both.

07-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Free Member

XPSP2 "can" be used, it will install a bad device driver update "older" than the one supplied on the cdrom, but pressing the Rollback device driver in the drive tab can fix that.

XPSP0 and XPSP1 did have issues, so did XPSP2 and XPSP3, no argument from me, all trade offs.

the USB device does not need a sound card, it can capture it at the same time as the video over the USB connection, but doing the audio capture separately with a dedicated sound card is a good idea.. it does require a bit more coordination and thought.. it is easier on the USB connection

Focusing on XPSP2 -

it is "possible" the (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver, was "not" installed by default "before" the AIW USB2.0N "because" there was no sound card in the system at all, since the installer was designed and tested with XPSP1 it may not register the required prerequisites with XP on install and fail to install the UAA "first".. so the device driver may have failed on that count.

two possible fixes:

1. install a sound card, manually select the yellow warning cone and "uninstall", unplug the device and plug it back in.. that should trigger a reinstall attempt and the UAA should be present and everything should work

2. try manually "uninstall" the yellow warning cone for the audio driver, and unplug and then plug it back in again.. second time perhaps will be the charm? if its left inserted all the time, then on reboots it will continue to fail to load the UAA. Its almost like you have to "force" it to rebuild the chain of device drivers when a mistake is made.. hopefully this will be the fix, since its the easiest to test.. just be sure to "uninstall" the yellow warning code for the audio device or it won't even try to do anything different when it gets reinserted

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-05-2019 at 12:08 AM.
07-05-2019, 12:30 AM
Free Member

I am using Asus p8h61-i r2.0 motherboard with Intel i3 chip...using onboard audio and video...do I need to buy an expansion audio card to fix my sound issues.

I will reinstall Windows XP SP2 again and follow your guide on installing audio drivers...hope that solves my dilemma.
Boy one driver can cause so much grief. lol
07-05-2019, 01:05 AM
Free Member

Then you want to download this driver:

Quote:
It is 473 MB all for the audio drivers for XP through Windows 8

I looked inside and the VIA chipset on that motherboard requires some "very" specific audio device driver support.

It also does apparently include all the Microsoft patches required for that motherboards version of UAA.

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-05-2019 at 01:20 AM.
07-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Free Member

Ok, will try everything today and hope it works...thanks again for all the guidance...will report back hopefully with good news.

About the audio capturing, you still think it is a good idea to invest in a sound card.
07-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Free Member

Don't try to try everything at once.

Small moves.. one at a time.

I would try installing the "complete" motherboard audio driver upgrade package on XPSP2, the 478 MB download has the UAA patches.. it may be all that you need.
07-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Free Member

redid the system adding drivers as you mentioned.
No sound still when capturing or playing back a captured video file... ahhhh! getting to the point why waste the time and leave the videos on VHS tapes.
Posted a screenshot of device manager... I never thought this would be so hard to get going... capturing seems the easiest part right now with no sound.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg device manager 2.JPG (41.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg device manager.jpg (50.3 KB, 6 downloads)

Last edited by priya69; 07-05-2019 at 05:41 PM.
07-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Free Member

That looks perfect now.

I don't know if you are using the ATI MMC or VirtualDub.

If you are using VirtualDub, you will need to (1) make sure to check "capture audio" (2) if you want to hear the audio make sure to check "audio playback"

I am not in front of my home computer so I can't be more specific.

However.. you should "be there" it should work now. Its simply a matter of getting the capture application to work now.