07-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597...rom-mitsubishi

Its official, Mitsubishi is out of the optical media business. Whether or not this spells the end of high quality AZO dye media remains to be seen. The local Microcenter doesn't seem to stock it anymore, but blank media has been a shrinking market for awhile now.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: jwillis84 (07-09-2019)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Does this mean that now is the time to buy bulk orders of old stock?
07-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote from the article:
Quote:
"CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality. Meanwhile, since the whole Verbatim supply chain will now belong to CMC, it is possible to expect the media to get slightly cheaper. Furthermore, with IP from Verbatim, CMC will be able to improve its own-brand products without paying for a license."
Why do I suspect that given their track record, CMC won't keep AZO around. Why continue to offer a product that makes the rest of your product line look even worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
Does this mean that now is the time to buy bulk orders of old stock?
Only if you store them in a plastic bag with silica gel, in a black cardboard box, inside another black cardboard box, inside a lead lined closet!

I'm sure when gamey reads this news he's gonna poop his pants and this forum with "Verbatim gone, what good media?"
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: JPMedia (07-09-2019)
07-09-2019, 02:10 AM
Free Member

Verbatim was also the 'last' manufacturer of DVD-RAM which was high profit since it was still used in medical, dental and IBM mainframe circles.. perhaps 'dental' was hitting a bit too close to home.. but there is a lot of the Military that still depends on it.

I really don't know what to think.. DVD recorders that depended on high quality AZO media to work at all.. may be in for hard times, especially if they consolidate their product lines to reduce costs.

Don't forget IsoBuster can read the DVD recorder recordings off many brands and models hard drives even if you can't find DVD media to burn them off, you can get them to a PC and then burn them to PC DVD media or PC Bluray, mastered or unmastered as DVDvideo or MPEG data files.

I just re-capped a Panasonic E85H and tested it with IsoBuster, works fine. And I have a E95H and E80H that I will test tomorrow night. Magnavox H2080MW8 testing coming soon. These still make darn good capture systems.

I can easily see people with the ATSC tuners using them all Season long and dumping all their recordings to DVD or Blu-ray once a year. If they have Sat boxes that will still record with them.. they can do that too.
07-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Only if you store them in a plastic bag with silica gel, in a black cardboard box, inside another black cardboard box, inside a lead lined closet!
I don't literally laugh out loud that often from something I read online, but that did it.
Needed a good laugh for the day.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I don't literally laugh out loud that often from something I read online, but that did it.
Needed a good laugh for the day.
I am here to serve the lord...smurf that is!

*Paints self blue*