Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I have a JVC SR-MV45 that was in fine working condition until about a week ago. Since then, I receive no video output when playing a VHS. What's interesting is that I hear the audio from the tape, but no video. The on screen display overlay, works fine. If I press the TBC button, I simply get no output whatsoever. With the TBC button pressed, I get snow. I have tried multiple tapes with the same issue (tapes work fine in other VHS).

Are there any ideas for what could be the cause of this? I searched around quickly but didn't see anything. I found the posts about the "Loading" issue, but mine does not have that problem. I took a quick peak inside and didn't spot any bulging or leaking caps, but I'm not sure exactly where to look as there are a lot of caps under metal parts.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The model has caps, and bad caps can cause it. However, note that this specific model has really resilient caps, appears to be from the post-espionage era. So not the same as the AG-1980, or even the JVC DR-M10. The most common problem with caps on this unit is the caps getting "zapped" from not using UPS. I've seen many, many of those. Are you using a UPS?

I've never seen this exact error before.
Also do not remember reading about it, hearing about it before.

LOADING is the most common error, but not the only one.

Did you also try other inputs/outputs?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Free Member

Hi LS, thanks for the reply.

I'm happy to say that the picture has returned.

I was some more poking around inside, and I played a tape with the cover off and the picture returned! However, I did notice a louder (than normal) buzz coming from the tape head. Could the motor be going bad?

I'm not sure why it started working again, perhaps it being unplugged for two days had something to do with it.

I have a video of the tape head and buzz, I'll see if I can upload it somewhere.

Thanks!
07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Free Member

Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMOSfjTMts

It's a bit quieter on the video than in person, but hopefully that gives you an idea of what I'm hearing.

Thanks!