Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

Maybe this might sound like a strange question, but does anybody have any experience with using audio as a video input?

I have been doing this with analogue TV's by using a strong audio signal into the AV input, and the result is beautiful distorted images. Higher frequencies produce thinner lines and lower freqs produce bigger/wider stripes. I have been using this for an audio visual art project if you are curious about why.

Me and my colleague own a Datavideo TBC-4000, which makes it possible to send these images to a video projector. By simply feeding the TBC with the audio signal and taking the output to the projector.

But, i have not managed to do the same with any other equipment. I have tried to do it with a video mixer connected to a LED TV and feeding the mixer (edirol, which is supposed to have a build in TBC), but it doesn't work. I have tried to do it with a DMR-ES10 DVD recorder. But didn't work.

I have tried to find another Datavideo TBC online, but they are very rare and generally unaffordable.

I am looking to find a relatively cheap solution to add to our TBC-4000 setup, and have more inputs and outputs to video projectors and or LED TVs. Any ideas? Thank you!

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Audio signal itself doesn't carry sync signal for a stand alone video projector to display a stable frame, that's why you need a frame sync device or a genlock signal, An external TBC has a frame sync option that's why it worked, Just look for a video mixer or one of those old rack mounted studio TBC devices. I will be listing a BE75 online if you are interested it has a frame sync and can accept a genlock signal from another video source.
07-28-2019, 04:43 AM
Free Member

Thank you for answering.
I have tried it with a video mixer (Edirol V-4), but it didn't work.
"one of those old rack mounted studio TBC devices"
This might be an option indeed. I will see if i can find some cheaper one to try it out with.
I will be listing a BE75 online if you are interested it has a frame sync and can accept a genlock signal from another video source. That sounds interesting if you think this might do the trick, but i think i won't be able to afford that actually.
07-28-2019, 05:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Perhaps with a DataVideo or Cypress distribution amp?
I've seen those sell for as low as $25 to $50 in past months.
The DataVideo model if the VP-299.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf,
I will definitely look into that. If that would work it would be a great solution in my budget!
08-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Free Member

found a VP-299, but it didn't do the trick...

Tags
tbc, time base corrector