Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-01-2019, 11:40 PM
Free Member

By the way, I'm currently using a surge protector for my VCR. Is this considered bad?

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-01-2019, 11:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
A "surge protector" does nothing to actually stop voltage overage/underage, and it can easily kill that VCR. Get a battery-backup UPS, which both regulates power and provides battery in total power loss.

The cheap $37 Cyberpower 425VA unit at Walmart ($44 at Amazon or Newegg) is better than nothing.
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...language=en_US

I use the Cyberpower 1500-AVR-LCD units, about $150 each.

The difference is mostly battery life, how many minutes you get in a power fail. If you don't leave gear on when not at home, then you can probably shut it down really quick in a loss. The better units also show you the exact time left on the unit on the LCD, you have to guess with the cheapest ones (5 minutes).

The CyberPower CP825LCD is about $85, a nice middle unit, one we use here as well as 1500.

Everything at here is on UPS: TVs, computers, video hardware, games. That stuff costs too much to get blown. The only things literally not on UPS are lamps and the toaster.

UPS is cheap insurance policy for electrical problems.

Protect your pricey items.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Sirworm (08-02-2019)
08-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Free Member

Sounds good! I'll probably get the cheapest one, not quite sure what the reasoning is behind the more expensive ones (if there is reasoning I should get the more expensive ones please notify me). Should I leave the VCR plugged into the surge protector while the VCR is turned off, or unplug the cord connecting to the VCR?

Last edited by Sirworm; 08-02-2019 at 01:18 PM.
08-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Only unplug gear when it won't be used for a month or more.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Free Member

Typical surge protectors mainly clamp voltage spikes, but the clamping voltage is much higher than normal line voltage (i.e., in the range of 330 to 500 volts per UL standards) and thus damage can still happen depending on how robust the gear power supply, how high the spike is, and how much energy is behind the spike. It does not protect from under voltage or moderate over voltage issues.

As noted above the UPS provides much more protection.
09-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Free Member

I have several of the Cyberpower 1500 PFC model of the UPS, which ran me about $200. The PFC line is more important for modern computer power supplies that have the Active PFC and needs a pure sine wave.

Another thing that is ideal is having a whole house surge protection that's installed in the main breaker box. I installed one a few months ago in the panel and will provide an extra layer of protection, in addition to the UPS inside the house.