08-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Free Member

How is it best for the vitality, performance, operation of the VCR and everything it consists of ?
It is good, for example, to be for some time before using it to play the VHS tape in standby mode ? Or maybe it is best to be turned on all the time before (without playing tapes - without using it) ?
How long should a given time last for a given activity ?
How should be ?

I ask in the context of the fact that often(probably) VCR's are used once in a while and then they go to a closet or somewhere else for a long time and are only run in total for a few hours a year to play VHS cassettes.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Unplug when it won't be used for more than month.
Or if your power grid is unreliable, as it is in some countries.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Unplug when it won't be used for more than month.
Or if your power grid is unreliable, as it is in some countries.
He should unplug it always after using the machine, even if he's going to use it again the next day. If he wants the power supply to last that's what he should do. I always keep all my video gear turned off and unplugged when not in use.
08-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem84 View Post
He should unplug it always after using the machine, even if he's going to use it again the next day. If he wants the power supply to last that's what he should do. I always keep all my video gear turned off and unplugged when not in use.
No, that's bad advice, and this is why:

Whenever you turn on an item, or plug or unplug from the wall, you cause a power surge. Once-drained (fully or partially) capacitors are flooded with electricity. It's not as large as power loss, or a lightning strike, but it's still a small surge. And sometimes that process can go sideways, harming the gear. This is the reason that many items are left on 24/7, not due to laziness.

The VCR should not be left "on", as VCRs tend to heat up quite a bit, used or not. But neither should it be entirely removed from having any power whatsoever. The on/off process is far less damaging that plug/unplug, which is far less damaging that loss/spikes or lightning.

It's a balance.

The Panasonic AG decks are probably the most susceptible from simple plug/unplug, in fact the worst device I've probably ever seen. I had another AG-1980 blow again recently, it suddenly will not track, and it had previously been serviced by TGrant. Something happened when it was unplugged for a day, to move around hardware, and plugged back in. This is now the 3rd time this has happened to me. Different locations each time, different decks.

But VCRs in general do not like plug/unplug, more than other electronics.

I also lost my favorite bedroom fan. After unplug, move some stuff, and plug back in (and turn back on) ... POOF!!! ... and the room was full of electronics burn smoke.

08-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
No, that's bad advice, and this is why:

Whenever you turn on an item, or plug or unplug from the wall, you cause a power surge. Once-drained (fully or partially) capacitors are flooded with electricity. It's not as large as power loss, or a lightning strike, but it's still a small surge. And sometimes that process can go sideways, harming the gear. This is the reason that many items are left on 24/7, not due to laziness.

The VCR should not be left "on", as VCRs tend to heat up quite a bit, used or not. But neither should it be entirely removed from having any power whatsoever. The on/off process is far less damaging that plug/unplug, which is far less damaging that loss/spikes or lightning.

It's a balance.

The Panasonic AG decks are probably the most susceptible from simple plug/unplug, in fact the worst device I've probably ever seen. I had another AG-1980 blow again recently, it suddenly will not track, and it had previously been serviced by TGrant. Something happened when it was unplugged for a day, to move around hardware, and plugged back in. This is now the 3rd time this has happened to me. Different locations each time, different decks.

But VCRs in general do not like plug/unplug, more than other electronics.

I also lost my favorite bedroom fan. After unplug, move some stuff, and plug back in (and turn back on) ... POOF!!! ... and the room was full of electronics burn smoke.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...#ixzz5vjkMn9KE
This is advice from someone I trust who's been working for Sony for the last 25 years.

Another recommendation. Keep your vcr "busy". Use it once in a while. It's not good for them to stayed unused for long periods of time.

Last edited by josem84; 08-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
08-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Another recommendation. Keep your vcr "busy". Use it once in a while. It's not good for them to stayed unused for long periods of time.
I agree with this aspect.

08-09-2019, 01:43 AM
Free Member

Thank you all.
So for example: Regardless of how long the VCR was not connected to the power supply (it was not turned on or played), I would like to start it before the planned playback of the VHS cassette.

In what mode should it run: standby (only for power) or on?
How much time before plan to play the cassette do it ?
Quote:
I think you mean, for example, playing a VHS cassette, not just connecting to the power supply. Yes ?

How often ?
Once a week, a month ?
And then for how long to run the VHS cassette ? For an hour, three ? Doesn't that matter ?
08-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Hi,

Think of it as if it was a mechanical watch. You want all the gears to run smoothly keeping the oils from drying out. And you do it by using it. Same with a VCR.

You don't have to wait before playing back a tape. You can start using it straightaway. Just make sure you don't keep it running for long periods of time. If you need to, let it cool down and rest for some time after say 3 hours or so, before using it again.

Keep those cleaning tapes as far away from your VCR as possible. Those are pretty abrasive on the heads. Use some print paper with isopropyl alcohol (99%+) instead. Trust me, it's the safest and most effective way of cleaning the heads.

Keep moldy & scratched tapes away from your VCR.

Buy yourself a rewinder. Try not to use your VCR as a rewinder. Your heads will thank you for this.

Also beware of high humidity levels. Humidity can ruin video gear very very fast.

Just my two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima View Post
Thank you all.
So for example: Regardless of how long the VCR was not connected to the power supply (it was not turned on or played), I would like to start it before the planned playback of the VHS cassette.

In what mode should it run: standby (only for power) or on?
How much time before plan to play the cassette do it ?

I think you mean, for example, playing a VHS cassette, not just connecting to the power supply. Yes ?

How often ?
Once a week, a month ?
And then for how long to run the VHS cassette ? For an hour, three ? Doesn't that matter ?
The following users thank josem84 for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-12-2019)
08-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Free Member

Thank you.
08-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Just my two cents...
Good advice there, worth at least 10 cents.