08-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Free Member

My VCR has only composite out, but my TBC has both composite and video out. When capturing standard VHS tapes, best to feed my capture device with composite or SVHS?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I think you're confused. SVHS is a tape forrmat. It has nothing to do with cables or connection jacks. "S_video" is a type of cable and a type of wire and its associated signal transmission. It can be used for DVD, SVHS and VHS tape, cable broadcasts, and many other formats, but is analog and standard-def only.

S-video is almost always a cleaner and sharper signal than composite, but TBC's don't generally convert well from composite input to s-video output -- it's not what they're designed to do. You didn't specify your TBC, but in most cases a frame TBC unit works best with composite in-and-out or with s-video-in-and-out. Proc amps also work in a similar manner.

You can always test to see what you get.

What you're missing is a line-level tbc which causes geometric distortion and scanline error noise. An outboard frame-level tbc won't correct for scanline timing errors.
08-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
s-video = separated video, meaning the luma and chroma are carried on separate lines.
composite = both chroma and luma composited (merged) onto the same carrier line

S-VHS = the Super VHS format

Some TBCs can convert incoming composite to s-videeo quite well, but mostly Cypress models, not DataVideo.

Which TBC do you have?

As mentioned, your VCR is going to give low quality output. The external TBC will not clean visual quality, only signal quality. You need both kinds of TBCs to capture VHS with quality.

You need a better VCR, a S-VHS unit with line TBC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Free Member

It's easy to get confused when even manufacturers and sellers often use the term SVHS cable.

TBCs typically decode the colour when digitizing the signal, so any artifacts from that process is likely already going to be baked in in the video signal coming out. As such I would think S-Video from the TBC would be preferable as it won't add any more artifacts. Though, you can always test as mentioned, and see if there is more ore less artifacts (flashing colour and dots/squares).
08-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Free Member

DNR lowers noise in the video signal, Line TBC (inside VCR) corrects lines timing and Frame TBC (external) corrects frames timing, For the external TBC it's always better when done composite in composite out, or S-Video in S-Video out, Ultimately S-Video In/Out is the best option.
08-17-2019, 05:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
s-video = separated video, meaning the luma and chroma are carried on separate lines.
composite = both chroma and luma composited (merged) onto the same carrier line

S-VHS = the Super VHS format

Some TBCs can convert incoming composite to s-videeo quite well, but mostly Cypress models, not DataVideo.

Which TBC do you have?

As mentioned, your VCR is going to give low quality output. The external TBC will not clean visual quality, only signal quality. You need both kinds of TBCs to capture VHS with quality.

You need a better VCR, a S-VHS unit with line TBC.
I need a nicer car, but drive what I own. I use what I have and it gives quite acceptable results. I'm not after perfection and realize the limitations of VHS. I don't have an oscilloscope to measure signal quality. My TBC is AVT-8710. As has been suggested, I have tried both ways and just observing the capture on a TV can't see any difference. I thought maybe there may be factors involved other than visual. Thanks to those with kind suggestions.
08-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdycus View Post
I need a nicer car, but drive what I own. I use what I have and it gives quite acceptable results.
Understandable, but if your car drives as noisy and clunky as your capture results, we're concerned for your safety. Technically and objectively the results would be unacceptable in most circles but any case I'd advise that you keep your most prized tapes for later, when you begin to notice the annoying distortion. Unfortunately it can't be fixed after capture and can be fixed only during capture with a line tbc device, which you can use with a pass-thru unit that's far less expensive than a high-end VCR. The results would be a dramatic improvement.

Quote:
I'm not after perfection
We never expect perfection. We just don't think distortion-on-purpose is anything to be happy about.
Quote:
and realize the limitations of VHS.
Saying poo-bah to a line tbc is a limitation imposed by the user, not by the medium.

Quote:
I don't have an oscilloscope to measure signal quality.
We don't use those. A line tbc is cheaper and easier.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-17-2019)