Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Free Member

I have an old JVC camcorder that I really like. It records to mini-DVD tapes. Recently I purchased a Dazzle device for exporting the video from the tape to my computer. I then use my favorite video editing software to create my video clips for sharing with friends or posting to Facebook or YouTube.

The Dazzle works pretty well for what I need it to do, namely transfer mini-DVD video to digital video so I can work with it. What it is not really good at is handling the audio transfer of the process. While the video portion comes across nice and clear, the audio is always breaking up, about once every couple of seconds or so. That is really annoying to listen to. Most of the time I end up splitting the video and audio, then deleting the audio altogether.

Can anyone suggest a transfer device that can export both video and audio in a consistent manner?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
MiniDV is already a digital format. It is never captured, re-recorded, or re-encoded to get it onto a computer. It is copied 1:1 via Firewire and specific software such as WinDV or Scenalyzer. Capturing DV sources with an analog capture device involves a serious quality hit and is the method used by those who have no idea how to work with DV video.
08-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

If you mean MiniDVD (8 cm. DVD disks), you can use your regular DVD player to access the media. Just treat it like a regular DVD and copy the contents to your hard disk. You don't need any software to do this.

If you are working with MiniDV tapes, use the FW connection to stream copy. Just plug it into your computer and use any of the suggested software. If you're working with Mac OS, you can use Final Cut Pro, iMovie...

Or plug it directly into your DVD recorder if you want to transfer it to DVD. Make sure it has the correct 4 pin plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
I have an old JVC camcorder that I really like. It records to mini-DVD tapes. Recently I purchased a Dazzle device for exporting the video from the tape to my computer. I then use my favorite video editing software to create my video clips for sharing with friends or posting to Facebook or YouTube.

The Dazzle works pretty well for what I need it to do, namely transfer mini-DVD video to digital video so I can work with it. What it is not really good at is handling the audio transfer of the process. While the video portion comes across nice and clear, the audio is always breaking up, about once every couple of seconds or so. That is really annoying to listen to. Most of the time I end up splitting the video and audio, then deleting the audio altogether.

Can anyone suggest a transfer device that can export both video and audio in a consistent manner?
08-23-2019, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
MiniDV is already a digital format. It is never captured, re-recorded, or re-encoded to get it onto a computer. It is copied 1:1 via Firewire and specific software such as WinDV or Scenalyzer. Capturing DV sources with an analog capture device involves a serious quality hit and is the method used by those who have no idea how to work with DV video.
Thank you so much for your arrogant response. I never said I was a professional.
08-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem84 View Post
If you mean MiniDVD (8 cm. DVD disks), you can use your regular DVD player to access the media. Just treat it like a regular DVD and copy the contents to your hard disk. You don't need any software to do this.

If you are working with MiniDV tapes, use the FW connection to stream copy. Just plug it into your computer and use any of the suggested software. If you're working with Mac OS, you can use Final Cut Pro, iMovie...

Or plug it directly into your DVD recorder if you want to transfer it to DVD. Make sure it has the correct 4 pin plug.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll look into them, I appreciate your reply.