Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Free Member

Hi all, I bought a Sony DSR-PD100A back in 1999 (about a $2,500 camcorder back then) that took 60 minute miniDV tapes and recorded 40minutes on them in high-density broadcast quality output. Yes I'm stupid, but I'm trying to transfer my tapes from 10-20 years ago now to my computer and the tapes seem to have deteriorated. My 1st attempt using the camcorder that took the video, most of the screen was blue and I'd only get fragments of video. Useless... I bought another Sony DSR-PD100A used off e-bay and it plays them but it's still messed up. They will usually start with green and pink blotches, parts of the screen won't update to the new image, and the sound goes in/out. The defects get less and less as the tape goes on, eventually with about 5 minutes to the end of the tape it's good. Then I put in my next tape, and it's the same thing.

I've now tried two camcorders, is there a professional device that may work with my tapes? What I don't get is, my tapes were bought, used, unsealed, and recorded at different times over the past 20 years yet every tape does the exact same thing you'd think some would be better than others. I'm thinking the new camcorder has slightly different tracking than my original camcorder until the end of the tape. Thoughts? Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Free Member

The magnetic material may have deteriorated to the point where it clogs the heads, Try cleaning the video drum on the camcorders if the picture improved you know you have bad tapes if it didn't you may have faulty camcorders with bad SMD capacitors.
08-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Free Member

I did buy a cleaning tape, didn't help. I wonder if there is some kind of professional miniDV device that may have more options/controls. First, to handle the fact my camcorder records more data (recording 40 minutes of video on a 60 minute miniDV) and secondly allow tweaking as I think the tapes are fine but the camcorder(s) sensitive to any imperfection/alignment issue and the tapes after this amount of time may have gotten a tad stretched out (at the ends) and the camcorder just has no ability to handle it, and why all my tapes go from terrible at the start and get better and better until the end is fine (and that's over 25 tapes). Thanks!
08-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Free Member

It's possible there could be an tape path alignment issue too, though it's a bit harder to see when dealing with MiniDV than analog formats, at least unless you have a scope. Not something I would expect happening easily on a high-end professional camcorder though.

I'm guessing the format you are referring to may be DVCAM?, In which case, it means you should be able to use any DVCAM capable camcorder or VCR to play back, not just the original camera.
08-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
I did buy a cleaning tape, didn't help. I wonder if there is some kind of professional miniDV device that may have more options/controls. First, to handle the fact my camcorder records more data (recording 40 minutes of video on a 60 minute miniDV) and secondly allow tweaking as I think the tapes are fine but the camcorder(s) sensitive to any imperfection/alignment issue and the tapes after this amount of time may have gotten a tad stretched out (at the ends) and the camcorder just has no ability to handle it, and why all my tapes go from terrible at the start and get better and better until the end is fine (and that's over 25 tapes). Thanks!
Your camcorder is DVCAM not MiniDV it uses 15μm track pitch, which is 50% wider compared to baseline DV/miniDV. Therefore tape is transported faster, which reduces recording time by one third if a miniDV tape if used. It doesn't necessarily mean better quality, It does however track better due to wider tracks if a compatible DV machine is used to playback DVCAM tapes, DV has 12μm track pitch I believe.

Just buy a cheap consumer DVCAM from recent years off of ebay hoping that it doesn't have the SMD capacitor syndrome. anything before 2000's has a high risk of being defective. Unfortunately they are hard to find as DVCAM was basically a pro format, here is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DSR-PD...MAAOSwOxFdOwf1

Last edited by latreche34; 08-26-2019 at 06:10 PM.