Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Free Member

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine why my VirtualDub installation is not behaving normally. My hardware workflow is feeding into a Pinnacle 710 USB (S-Video connection) and into my computer via USB. (JVC SR-mV45 or Panasonic AG-1980 into a TBC-3000 - Thanks, Lordsmurf!) Here is the behavior:

When following this thread - http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html - I get to the part with the Overlay and Preview modes, and the Histogram, and sometimes the program hiccups when loading preview mode, other times not. Then, regardless of which mode I am in, sometimes the program completely locks up as soon as I select Capture Pin. Other times I can get into this menu.

Eventually, once the program has locked up, I can force quit it, but one thread will remain in process monitor on Windows 7 x64. This thread cannot be killed with end process and will remain until reboot. Eventually, what I presume to be some kind of memory issue locks up the entire computer and the mouse/keyboard no longer respond, resulting in a hard reboot requirement.

Just for fun, I tested this exact same scenario on my other install, Windows 10, as I'm dual booting with two SSDs (1 per OS, separate data drive). Same results, though I was surprised it detected the 710 properly in the first place.

Note that I am leveraging Crossbar Thing to force the input from Composite to S-Video, and I am using HuffyYUV, but have not otherwise modified the VirtualDub package from this site, just done in-program configuration.

I saw a note here http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-freezing.html about disabling DirectX, would that be Options -> Preferences -> Display, uncheck Use DirectX for display panes, or is there another option?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-08-2019, 12:53 AM
Free Member

Have you tried disabling Aero in Win7 before opening VirtualDub? It may help with the Overlay/Preview issue. Probably not with Capture Pin problem.
09-08-2019, 09:42 AM
Unconfirmed User

My Pinnacle 510 USB is very fussy in Windows 10 when configuring Virtualdub. As far as I can tell it's display related with the preview modes or overlay. The first thing I do when entering capture mode is to set Display to None. Then I set capture file, and all the other settings. Only when everything is set do I got to Preview mode, and that seems to have the least problems.

Erich
09-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Free Member

Thanks both, I'll try ensuring Aero is off as well as hiding the preview display until I'm ready to go then report back!
11-25-2019, 02:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Which VirtualDub version is being attempted here?

Perhaps try VirtualDub2 capture mode, see if that makes any difference? In general, this is NOT suggested, as there are various known issues with 1.10.x capturing, of which the VDub2 fork is based. But it's still an interesting test. Also try both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: dudewiththepants (11-25-2019)
11-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Free Member

I don't know of any USB capture device that will work properly in Overlay mode. They all require Preview mode. I think its a limitation of the method of blending capture frames with the video generated by the graphic card. Essentially they come from two different sources, one a USB bus the other an AGP or PCI bus.. so they have to meet in the CPU (hence Preview Rendering by the CPU is required).

Overlay attempts to offload the blending task to the video card GPU by-passing the CPU, which it does by letting the GPU access the video capture ('video capture card' not 'video capture usb device') through DMA.. since you can't do that, because a usb device is not on an actual 'bus' DMA is not possible. -- round about way of saying it will never happen.

VirtualDub (does) allow you to save its default start up state.

Once you have selected 'Preview'

Go to the [Device] menu and click on the [Device settings..] item

The pop up box labled [Capture device options] has a series of checkboxes:

_Save current display mode as default
_Switch audio source when changing video source
_Disable overlay display when display menus
_Disable preview display when displaying menus

'Check' the first option and leave the others alone.

Then click on the [OK] button.

The next time you start VirtualDub it will remember the last default start up state and set it for you.

(Its a little wonky how you set the defaults.. but it works)
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: BruceOlsen (12-23-2019), dudewiththepants (11-25-2019)
11-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Free Member

Thanks both. Good to know about the device settings jwillis, it'll save me a little time. I'm slowly making my way through all the family tapes with preview mode - I temporarily disable all preview and overlay during config then swap to preview.
12-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Free Member

I'm using the Pinnacle 710 USB and Crossbar Thing on windows 7. I was opening the CB Thing and setting the switch to s-video and then closing it before opening Virtualdub. This worked about 1 in 4 times, but mostly Virtualdub locked my machine.

So now I launch the CB Thing, open Virtualdub, select capture video, then set the CB Thing to s-video and leave it open. I haven't had a lockup since.
The following users thank WarbirdVideos for this useful post: dudewiththepants (12-13-2019)
12-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdVideos View Post
I'm using the Pinnacle 710 USB and Crossbar Thing on windows 7. I was opening the CB Thing and setting the switch to s-video and then closing it before opening Virtualdub. This worked about 1 in 4 times, but mostly Virtualdub locked my machine.

So now I launch the CB Thing, open Virtualdub, select capture video, then set the CB Thing to s-video and leave it open. I haven't had a lockup since.
Interesting, I'll have to try that! I've gotten a little slowed down with capturing as we just got a dog, but probably resuming after NYE. Thanks again, will report back.
12-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdVideos View Post

That's not been my experience.

I generally open CB or a Graph in GraphEdit, set the crossbar to S-Video and close it. Then open VirtualDub and capture without regards to the Input setting, it persists across reboots.

I am using VirtualDub 1.9.11 (32 bit) on Windows 7 x64 with Pinnacle 500-USB, 510-USB, 700-USB, 710-USB

I do have to specifically change the settings for each device (once). The settings are saved in the registry per device.

In older days.. I experimented with Pinnacle Studio.. and (that) resets the registry settings back to Composite each and every time it is opened. Other capture programs do the same thing.. they manually mess with the capture device crossbar default settings.. even if it doesn't succeed at capturing.

"Experimenting" with other capture apps.. can and (will) reset the Input for the crossbar even if they do not work.

They do not return things to how they were when they are closed.. they are like bad visitors to your house that leave a mess when they exit.

As long as I use VirtualDub, and only VirtualDub.. the settings persist and its very easy to spin up a new capture session.

Knowing what to expect though.. if the Input is "blank".. I reach for CB or GraphEdit to clean up the mess and swear off using whatever I think "messed things up".

One other Tip!

VirtualDub normally opens in Overlay mode, change that to Preview Mode and then [Save Device Settings] from the VirtualDub menu. The next time VirtualDub opens it will be in Preview mode and you won't have to remember to switch from Overlay mode to Preview mode to get a picture.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: BruceOlsen (12-23-2019)