Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Free Member

I just picked up a JVC HR-S9800U, but when I try to capture with it, the video looks grainy and has jagged edges (see attached).

If I use my old low end VCR, the edge is much more straight and the letters look clear. If I use a different capture card & capture software, I still see the same grain/blur.

1. Is the grain/jagged edges that I'm seeing in the JVC menu normal?
2. If not, what might be causing it?

Attached Images
File Type: png Panasonic-menu.png (267.8 KB, 22 downloads)
File Type: png JVC-menu.png (383.6 KB, 21 downloads)

Last edited by numb3rs; 12-10-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added attachments
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Free Member

The menu is stored graphics/computer generated. They are aliased and look normal to me. What does the video look like?
12-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Free Member

Your thread title says Poor Playback but in your post I only see reference to the menus looking bad. Quoting myself and hodgey from previous threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
VCR menus and blue-backs aren't great as test material. The Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U's menus, for example, seem to be generated as a composite signal which is then decoded in a dirty/careless manner for the S-Video output. Viewing the menus over composite looks better, even though viewing tapes over S-Video looks better. Many VCR menus seem to be "240p" like a NES, which some devices either can't handle, or handle differently than 480i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
VCRs very often output noise on these screens. I've found that on my JVC and Philips (JVC "clone") SVHS decks output the composite signal on the Y(luminance channel) in the menus. It easy to see on EU models when using the scart connector as the same wire is used for Y in S-video mode and Composite video in composite video mode, so if the scart out is connected to something that accepts composite in, you get colour even when the device is set to S-Video mode. This is normal, and doesn't affect playback. When using S-Video the filters that separate out the higher frequency parts of the signal to decode colour are normally not active (since the colour is on a separate wire, and as noted by dpalomaki), so it shows up as noise instead. Different A/D Converters react differently to it, usually looks a bit different to your example, so I don't know for sure if that's what's it is as there are other things that can cause such noise like RF interference.
12-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Free Member

This is a brief capture that I took. It looks like there's some horizontal lines that aren't in sync, especially noticeable on vertical objects in the video. To me it looks similar to the distortion that I see on the menus.

Attached Files
File Type: avi VirtualDub.avi (94.11 MB, 19 downloads)
12-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Free Member

Use S-Video cable and your problems will be solved.
12-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Here's a frame with little camera movement, to rule out interlacing artifacts. Is this tape a copy or an original?

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2019-12-11-11h33m59s089.png (646.5 KB, 11 downloads)
12-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Free Member

I think they are originals, but they're my uncles tapes, so I can't be 100% sure. After reading more, I think I'm failing to deinterlace the video. I setup AviSynth and QTGMC, then ran the original AVI file through it. I think the output looks better, but it also got too large to upload. Attached is a still image, what do you think?

@latreche34 I tried the s-video capture and it looked very similar.

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2019-12-11-20h58m13s106.png (619.4 KB, 10 downloads)
12-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Free Member

Use S-Video. Whether or not you see the dot crawl on your sample, it's there.

I would use the EDIT Picture Mode (and Lordsmurf would disagree). I don't know how you guys can stand the after-image trails of JVC's DNR.

One way to view interlaced captures at 60fps/50fps: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...nterlaced.html
12-12-2019, 12:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I would use the EDIT Picture Mode (and Lordsmurf would disagree). I don't know how you guys can stand the after-image trails of JVC's DNR.
The flaw you refer to is heavily dependent on the source tape(s). I rarely see any "trails", and I'm looking for flaws. Other times, added flaws are superceded by a signal that gets overall better from the filter, and that's the goal of restoration. Restoration is about making it better, not making it perfect (though you do try). Video is not one-size-fits-all.

Just don't be a video purist ("always use EDIT").

I use EDIT as well, but I start with AUTO/NORM (which generally looks best). Also realize that when EDIT looks better, I find that entirely switching from JVC to Panasonic AG-1980 looks better yet.

And not all JVC filters are equal on all models, or even unit to unit. This is something I test for when grading decks, and any smeary video from filters demotes it to B+ at best.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs