11-30-2021, 07:13 AM
Free Member

I recently acquired a VCR television combo that has no problems with any of the normal functions (stop, play, fastforward, etc.) except for rewind.

When pressing the rewind button, it rewinds for a few seconds then stops the VHS. This problem exists across different VHSs.

I read this guide http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrfaq.htm#vcrvwnfforw
which suggests that the issue may be "a worn idler tire, worn or broken idler clutch, bad belt, or lubrication problem is likely".

Here are some videos of the VCR performing some functions:
normal playback: https://imgur.com/a/HARYSg6 fastforward: https://imgur.com/a/fEDR9bq rewind: https://imgur.com/a/FRcchCi

Any ideas of which part exactly needs replacement? And if so, where to get it from? If there is a more appropriate place to ask for this help, please link me. thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I know know the model, or where you are the in the world but over here in Brexistan at least most of these TV/Video machine combo units were of objectionably poor quality. They were designed solely for kiddies bedrooms, student flats etc and designed to work as long as the warranty period was valid. Usually, they were graced with low-cost Funai mechanisms or something completely off-the-reservation from some forsaken cheap manufacturer.

We do actually have a few of them laying around, they're great for previewing tapes with customers to find cue-points etc when we're doing VHS transfers and they sit on a desk nicely but unless it is of tremendously sentimental value or it is from a quality manufacturer I personally wouldn't honestly bother investigating and just dispose of it as per your local regulations.

It does sound very much like a slipping idler.
11-30-2021, 07:51 AM
Free Member

Ok so the model is SHARP 13VT-H60, I am in the United States. I'm in a situation where if the parts necessary are not too costly I would definitely like to fix it.

I read online a bit, it seems like sanding the idler tire would expose fresh grippy rubber, which may solve the issue. Are there any other approaches you would suggest (if parts required, where might one find those parts)?
11-30-2021, 08:04 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

It's as good an approach as any, or see if you can turn the tyre (tire) inside-out as that's often a way of squeezing more life out of them.

Just be gentle, a fine piece of emery cloth or wet&dry can work wonders. Clean everything that needs to be cleaned, don't lubriate unless you're certain as to what you are lubricating and go from there.

If you just want it as a little project to view some tapes, why not? It won't be a sparking performer though, I have no idea what North American Sharp products were like by the time these things came out by they carried little-to-none cachet in the EU market. I **think** Sharp may have been split up though, but meh, you can look that one up!

It's gonna be a pig to work on though!

Also consider that this is primarily a television, and consider the safety implications when working on it. A kV or two is more than enough to make you seriously unwell so be very careful.
11-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Free Member

appreciate your concern (and will definitely be careful!), I'll go from easiest to most tedious in terms of potential resolutions.

As for it's use, I've unwillingly picked up electronic restoration as a hobby (started as favors for family members haha). Interestingly enough in the United States there are "retro gamers" or people who like to play old video games (and as such, need old televisions) who would pay well over what it's worth so they can play their games on it. After fixing the rewind function I might put it out there and see if there's any interest.
11-30-2021, 09:28 AM
Free Member

update:
Cleaned the VCR, rewinding still doesn't work but it looks different than before.

Whereas before rewinding would lead to an immediate "STOP", now rewinding will actually pull the tape to be rewound inside of the VCR, but the second half of the mechanism (the actually re-winding of the tape) doesn't take place, and the whole process is aborted. A video can be found below. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/yoX01Wn
11-30-2021, 08:31 PM
Free Member

My local system (I'm on the road) does not display the video link. With that in mind, if all else fails you might try some rubber rejuvenater. I do NOT know if it will work, but could be tried carefully as a last resort. This might apply if you can identify a rubber part that is actually slipping. I would not use it willy-nelly. Read the literature before you try to be sure it is suggested for the type of part you are working on.
12-01-2021, 05:45 AM
Free Member

The pinch roller seems to be dragging the tape but looks like the left reel isn't operating as it should so the tape isn't being pulled back into the cassette when rewinding. It could be as simple as a dirty mode switch (the service manual for the TV or another device with the same mechanism should tell you where it's located, usually under the mechanism somewhere.) If it's not that it could be some issue with the clutch/gearing that drives the tape reels.

EDIT: This mechanism might be using an optical sensor rather than a mode switch actually, so maybe that's not it.

I'm not super familiar with sharps, but it looks like a sharp mechanism rather than funai or LG or something, so it's not completely bottom of the barrel stuff.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: RobustReviews (12-01-2021)
12-01-2021, 08:13 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

Your responses have been really helpful. I found some diagrams of the VCR from above and below and I thought that might help. I also found some troubleshooting flowcharts in the same manual, they're a little elaborate though so if we can't figure it out together I'll look them over this weekend.

https://imgur.com/a/zJEf9c1