digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   VCR won't load nor eject cassettes? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/10308-vcr-load-eject.html)

meeshu 01-29-2020 03:33 AM

VCR won't load nor eject cassettes?

I have a Mitsubishi VCR that used to work fine, but recently cassettes now fail to load, and prior to that, cassettes failed to eject.

I've had a look inside the unit, and found the cassette "basket" or "cage" stuck about halfway along the range of movement that the cage makes when loading and ejecting cassettes. The cage is slightly askew. I tried straightening it and moving it by hand carefully, but the cage will not move.

Powered the VCR off and then back on, and tried the eject button on the VCR. There is a whirring sound like an electric motor running, but the cage will not budge.

The VCR will probably require professional attention.

Anyone else have have a similar issue? And if the issue was resolved, how?

lordsmurf 01-30-2020 05:06 AM

Something may be stuck.
Or the motor may be failing or failed.

Without the unit in-person, it can be difficult to troubleshoot. However, at minimum, we need images (and attached to the thread/post).

josem84 01-30-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeshu (Post 66194)
I have a Mitsubishi VCR that used to work fine, but recently cassettes now fail to load, and prior to that, cassettes failed to eject.

I've had a look inside the unit, and found the cassette "basket" or "cage" stuck about halfway along the range of movement that the cage makes when loading and ejecting cassettes. The cage is slightly askew. I tried straightening it and moving it by hand carefully, but the cage will not move.

Powered the VCR off and then back on, and tried the eject button on the VCR. There is a whirring sound like an electric motor running, but the cage will not budge.

The VCR will probably require professional attention.

Anyone else have have a similar issue? And if the issue was resolved, how?

Huge mistake there... never force the mechanism. Unplug the VCR and complete the loading cycle by hand to see if there's any broken part. It could be a belt too... We're just speculating as we don't have anything to look at.

meeshu 01-31-2020 04:19 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I'll try to take some photos of the cage and surrounding parts tomorrow.

The cage was not forced hard by myself. I only applied gentle force to see if it moved, so I doubt my attempts would have caused any (further) damage.

meeshu 01-31-2020 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of the VCR cassette "cage". Top, left, and right views of the cage.

I believe the VCR was attempting to load a cassette when it "jammed".

latreche34 01-31-2020 11:33 PM

You need to unscrew the tape cage and reset it, Look for broken gears on the sides.