Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Free Member

Hello,

Great site—I’ve been reading a ton of threads on the forum since the Corona virus lockdown!

I am interested in getting into both analog video capture and player repair. I’ve been watching a ton of YT videos and reading a lot of background information, but I still feel like I’m missing a large swath of general knowledge.

I was wondering if there were any old periodicals, manuals, or even books that are a well regarded primer on the subject of video deck repair. I’ve been absorbing stuff from MisterBeta, video99.co.uk on YouTube, the AG-1980 cap replacement thread here etc.

Thank You!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-11-2020, 01:06 AM
Free Member

I am not an expert on this, but I do know that the Internet Archive (archive.org) has several books on VCR repair that you can borrow for free once you create an account.

This site also put together a list of service manuals: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...r-manuals.html
04-11-2020, 09:14 AM
Free Member

For learning about the inner workings of VCRs, this book is nice.
04-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
For learning about the inner workings of VCRs, this book is nice.
I second that this book is great (VCR Troubleshooting and Repair by Capelo & Brenner - 3rd ed is 1998).

A few other books specifically about VHS VCR that I like:
Practical VCR Repair by David Ronan (1995)
Troubleshooting and Repairing VCRs by Gordon McComb (1st ed is 1988)
Home VCR Repair Illustrated by Wilkins & Wilkins (2nd ed is 1999)

There's a brand of electronics test equipment called Sencore and they published "Sencore Tech Tips" and "Sencore News" both of which have some good info on VCR stuff (some of it is in reference to their "VCR Analyzer" the Sencore VC93).

An old magazine called Electronic Servicing & Technology has some random VCR articles sprinkled throughout it's long history. It's a nice resource for general old electronics stuff. There is this great website (americanradiohistory.com) that has scans of most of the issues (along with many other old magazines, GREAT WAY TO SPEND A SATURDAY AHAHA): https://www.americanradiohistory.com/PF-Index.htm

Two youtube channels I've found helpful specifically for video/VCR stuff: 12voltvids and DrCassette. I'm sure there are others, just don't remember them. Two youtube channels that are helpful for general electronics stuff: EEVblog and w2aew.

Some books that aren't VCR/VHS specific but I've found useful in trying to understand the video signal fundamentals/history:
Video Engineering by Luther & Inglis (1st ed is 1993 and 3rd ed is 1999)
Television Engineering Handbook edited by K Blair Benson (1986)
The History of Television, 1942 to 2000 by Abramson (2007)
Electronics Engineers' Handbook edited by Donald Fink and Donald Christiansen (3rd ed is 1989)

If you want to learn more about general electronics stuff, the classic textbook is The Art of Electronics by Horowitz & Hill (3rd ed is 2015). They even have an appendix "tutorial" reviewing the television/NTSC signal as a working electronics example which is kind of cool.

Sorry that got a bit off topic/rambly. All of that being said, the first book recommended by hodgey (Capelo & Brenner) would be a great starting point. Also, it is hard to beat the service manual if you are working on a specific piece of equipment.
The following users thank sevarre for this useful post: Aidy80s (05-21-2020), msgohan (04-23-2020)