Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Free Member

Panasonic Blu-Ray DMR-BW880 Blu-Ray/DVD reader/writer.

I have acquired one that has had a DVD-cleaner disc put through it, and of course now the Blu-Ray laser appears stuffed. DVD still works OK. BR does not recognise that a disc is present.

There are still a few mechs ( Panasonic VXY2077-A ) available for a ridiculous price, and I was wondering if anybody has any info or suggestions for what could be done to attempt to repair this one.

None of the hair-thin wires to the lasers appear damaged, and the focusing linear-motor and laser block moves freely and does not appear to be off-centre. The one with a blue tinge is very slightly more distant than the other (normal, due to different wavelength ?).

Maybe the range of the focus- assembly has been reduced ?

Grateful any suggestions. (I am an experienced tech, though not at optical drive internals ! )

geoff
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-19-2020, 04:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That DVD "cleaner" disc probably made matters worse. Those just smear dirt/dust, and don not actually clean anything. Some even scratch the optics. Then the drives is really done.

Cleaning an optical drive isn't much different from cleaning VCR heads or dSLR sessors. Open it up, use the correct swabs and alcohol. (Correct! Otherwise you'll again screw it up badly.)

That all said, optical drives have finite lifespans, many in just 2-5 years. People always want "100 year" CDs/DVDs/BDs, but fail to realize that drives to read those media will likely not exist even in 50 years. As a good comparison, society already has a hard time playing back audio cones from 100 years ago.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Free Member

With the price of used Blu-ray players I would just buy another one and in the process you may pickup some new features you never had in your current player, I've seen them in thrift stores go for as low as $5. The demand for optical media players has gone to almost zero since everyone has a TV, tablet or smart phone linked to youtube and netflix, sad.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-20-2020)
04-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Free Member

Thing is this is not just a Blu-ray player.
It is a Blu-ray/DVD player and burner, with (internal)HDD recording/playback/burn-to BR-DVD, with twin FreeView tuners.
Neither common or inexpensive just now ....
04-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Free Member

Sorry didn't notice you are in new zeland, things are different here in the US, Our free to air channels are not worth recording, they contain more commercials than programming. DVR's are not worth anything here.
04-19-2020, 08:24 PM
Free Member

... not to mention your sport (well grid-iron at least)

The box was also a quick&easy route from camera or other file to disc.
The following users thank geoffwood for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-20-2020)
04-20-2020, 05:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Swapping the drive may still be an idea. I have DVD burners in a box, on standby, to replace bad burners in my recorders.

(Part of having a professional setup is having lots of extra units and parts, as explained here.)

I actually need to replace the drive in my RCA when I find time, it failed. Right now, thanks for Mr. ISOBuster and our member jwillis, I'm using the HDD>PC route, bypassing the burner, which is easier anyway.

No love of NFL here (or soccer/football), but I'll take baseball over cricket any time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
blu-ray, mechanism, optical, pickup, repair