Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Free Member

I had not used the VCR in several years. I turned it on and all was fine. I inserted a tape and once the tape loaded (the tray dropped and locked into place) the VCR made a few clanks and attempted to eject the tape. The VCR was not able to eject the tape. To get the tape out I had to remove the cover and push & pull a bit to get it out (perhaps a bit too much.)

Now when I power the VCR on it enters a continuous process of, what appears to be, attempting to eject a tape. I have looked closely at what it is doing and do not see the issue. I've attached two links to videos which show the issue - one from the top, one from the bottom. I would appreciate any help with this.

Thank you,
CT

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...QqCVRbMVjKJS7X
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...IAtqENM8u1gaHy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Free Member

This is the fragile G deck, and any misalignment of the gears from pressing a tape out or even just a dirty mode switch will jump the gears. The problem is that there is no loading motor - everything is done via the powerful capstan motor and a selector solenoid - which work together. The clanking is likely a gear running and continuously skipping. It needs evaluation and most likely a new mode switch and maybe a few new gears - now unavailable but you can likely use gears from another cheaper deck like the FJ30. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but these mechanisms are a real headache even for the pro's.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: CrazyTiger (04-13-2020), lordsmurf (04-19-2020)
04-13-2020, 06:28 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply. I thought that might be the case. I've had it for nearly 30 years. I won't be so worried about taking it apart now that I know it's unlikely to hurt it too much.
04-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Free Member

I'm working on a G-mech deck myself (Panasonic AG5700) right now, so thought I'd share some helpful resources I found. On bit of the full erease head holder plastic had broken off and blocked the mechanism when loading a tape, which caused something in there to go out of position.

There seems to be a few versions of them, judging by the service manual the FS100 has a newer version of it that has an an extra motor and belt, same with FS200 and AG5700 and related decks. Not sure what the exact use of the extra motor is, but it seems to be connected to a gear that moves the sliding metal piece. This FS200 service manual has a part on this version of the mechanism at the end though it's a bit hard to follow. There's a full G deck manual here, though it is a slightly different version without the extra motor and belt. There also seems to be some slight variations on the metal bracings that go over the centre gear. Also, which pins have retaining rings and washers on them also seem to vary a bit, so make sure you take pictures before doing anything!.

There are two factory training videos on the G mech on youtube, here and here (worse quality but includes strip down.)

12voltvids on youtube also has 2 videos (1, 2)on gear timing on a G mechanism deck, though that one seems to have another, probably older, variation of it with a square (?) belt instead of a toothed one and is missing the capstan brake pad thing.

I managed to fix some of the issue on mine by re-assembling it, but seems I did something wrong when reassembling as it's still not turning the take-up reel properly when in play mode.

Be very careful with the retaining rings when/if taking them off, they can easily fly off and being hard to find again.

Last edited by hodgey; 04-13-2020 at 07:22 PM.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: CrazyTiger (04-15-2020), lordsmurf (04-19-2020)
04-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Free Member

Thanks for all the info and great links. I will reference them before taking any parts out. It's always good to hear from people who have been through these struggles themselves

Tags
clank, vcr