Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-28-2020, 01:56 PM
Free Member

Go VIDEO
I Have a Go Video VR3930 DVD Recorder/VCR combo unit. The device was eating VHS tapes so I took it apart to try to clean it thoroughly.

When I tried to put it back together I could not insert a VHS tape into the unit. If I take the cover and the front panel off the VHS tape will insert properly, but each time I put the cover back on it does not allow the tape to be inserted. I don’t see anything obvious that would prevent the tape being inserted.

I also assume the front panel is hitting something because with it on the DVD tray will open but then doesn’t stay open but immediately closes and turns the unit off. Once the panel is taken off the DVD works properly and plays discs with no problem.

Back to the VCR side, it looks like once I get a tape in it will play, FF and REW without eating tapes, but there was nothing but a hissing sound on the audio portion. The unit looks like it uses the same component cables for both the DVD and VCR. I then played around with the manual tracking on the remote to try to clear up snow on the video portion, and all of a sudden the audio came on. So now I have audio but can’t adjust the snow, and the audio sounds like it is playing at 1.5 or 2x speed.

The manual says there is no adjustment for the playback speed. I did notice when I first inserted the tape and pressed play there were two forward arrows, but now there is only one forward arrow.

Looking for possible solutions. There are no local repair shops I can find, and hard to replace a combo DVR unit without paying mega bucks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2020, 11:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The VCR is terrible anyway. You're wasting your time with it. It's gone from terrible playback, to no playback AND eating tapes. Move on.

I made this for a reason: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html
Use it.
Good deck = good quality, good experience.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs