Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Free Member

Hello, I was reaching out regarding a DVD/VCR Combo Unit: Toshiba DVR-620KU.

My in-laws bought it at an estate sale for probably $10 or less. Anyway, when they took it home and plugged it in, a DVD was smashed inside it, it took a while for them to get out. Long story short, the Disc tray will not open/close properly, or even initiate reading discs (the VCR works fantastic, may have never even been used).

So I decided to bust the case open and take a look inside at the disc tray. I only have very minimal experience with electronic repair, very simple gaming unit things. This is my first time with a DVD Player, let along a DVD Recorder/VCR unit. I love VCR's, CRT TV's, and retro games, so I always wanted to one day take a stab at trying to learn to repair them.

So I unplugged the device, opened it up, unplugged everything on the disc tray and pulled it out. I tried to find some videos/photos of this particular unit for a guide, but had no luck. So it's hard to tell what the issue might be. With comparing it to a Samsung DVD/VCR player I have, it seems that this Toshiba Disc Drive, first of all does not open via a rubber track (I think by model design?). Ultimately I think the main issue is that somehow the spindle section is supposed to raise, and the laser is supposed to move back and forth, but neither of those things happen once the disc tray closes shut fully. I'm not sure if it's mechanical or power driven.

I've messed around with it a few days and can get it to either:
1. Both open and close property, but the laser does nothing, disc does not spin
2. Close and spindle does a faint half, spin, laser lights up faintly very instantly, nothing happens except the tray auto opens (but the tray won't open itself)
3. Huge grinding noises when the disc tray closes, then tries to reopen immediately

I have a few short videos, and can provide photos as well (video lengths: 2 mins, 11 secs., & 9 secs.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCLmFNCwuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_racTcTEnYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_Yt3I_Ohs

Any help or tutorial links/guides would be great! Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2020, 11:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Even when working, this unit is garbage, an infamous Funai POS.

Not good for quality VHS playback, and the DVD player tends to fail within a few years.

The DVD side is easily damaged beyond repair. With a busted DVD having been inside, you'll have micro shards in the electronics, probably scratched the laser eye.

Just toss it in the trash, and move on.

The seller knew it was trash, and scammed your in-laws, rather that properly recycling it.

You can buy equally-crappy VCR/DVD units at Goodwill for $9 -- and those tend to actually function. (Anything that doesn't function is recycled or trashed.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-28-2020, 11:41 PM
Free Member

Smurf - thank you for the quick reply. Didn't realize it was Funai, that makes sense why the disc tray even as a DVD recorder felt cheaper than the Samsung/Sony units I compared it to which were just players.

Makes sense that the laser is probably scratched. I guess I was just trying to see if I could repair it for experience for preservation purposes in the future for units I am more interested in.

Thank you for the feedback!
05-28-2020, 11:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yeah, I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but it seems common lately.

Lots of the "estate sellers" are real shysters, and will sell obvious broken garbage. (I guess it's fine to sell broken stuff for parts, but it should be labeled as such, yet almost never is.) You have to assume that electrical/electronic items are completely non-functional, until proven otherwise with full-use testing.

Most of those estate finds land on eBay, which is why I'm constantly telling people that eBay is not a place to get quality gear. You're gambling, not buying. (If you want to gamble, great! Go for it. Buy if you want to buy, be wary, odds are not in your favor. This forum has many eBay horror stories.) Those resellers often just parrot whatrbrt the estate seller showed/said ("works", "tested!"). But it's not even remotely tested for proper functionality (not just any functionality, mean lights came on), or even working at all (no included power plugs are a huge red warning sign).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs