digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-DVS3U No picture in play, but image in pause/FF? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/10838-jvc-dvs3u-picture.html)

Jfeat 07-30-2020 04:51 PM

JVC HR-DVS3U No picture in play, but image in pause/FF?

I've used this JVC HR-DVS3U for a long time with no problems. Transferring a VHS video for a client, there was a "jam". Since that time i get no picture while playing but if I pause, FF, REW etc., I'll see the video. Sound is there just not the video. There's a video head cleaner device with what looks like wire ties that appear to attach to nothing. I've cleaned the heads, tried different tapes but I still have the problem.

Any Ideas on how to cure this or where to get more info?

Thanks

lordsmurf 07-31-2020 06:38 AM

Video head cleaner actually cause more damage, by merely pushing around debris, not actually removing it. Those also tend to be abrasive.

Multiple potential issues here. If after a proper cleaning -- PROPER CLEANING! -- it's still not resolved, it's not a simple head clog issues. It may be head damage.

How was it jammed, exactly? That will help you trace if the issue is in bands, gears, etc.

It may alignment, but that's have to be a really ugly jam to misalign the guides.

Jfeat 07-31-2020 03:23 PM

No Picture but Sound

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!

I did NOT use a head cleaning cassette,etc. I used a tech wipe and isopropyl alcohol. This model has an integrated "head cleaner" that lifts when tape is seated (see photo). I also cleaned the erase head and the A/C heads. I assume the A/C head is for audio/control.

After cleaning low and behold the tapes would play for a short time then the counter stops and the auto shutdown happens.

What should I use to clean the heads?

lordsmurf 07-31-2020 03:26 PM

Are the tapes being fed now have ANY visual defects? Inspect a tape after running it through, and rewards about a minute worth of footage (no more!). 1 min for SP, or 2 LP, or 3 SLP/EP.

Jfeat 08-01-2020 01:32 PM

No tape damage

Checking tapes, they show no damage (magnifying glass). It definitely seems to be with the video heads. It will start to play (counter looking normal) and the sound is good. The operation tho is a bit flaky; cant rewind or stop but can FF. Like all of the heads are not reading.

hodgey 08-01-2020 04:13 PM

Do you get no output at all in play mode, or very garbled output? (may be hard to spot without an external TBC or a CRT TV, and I don't know if the JVC blue screens on bad signal or not).

I have a cheapo hitachi that does a similar thing where there seems to be little output from one of the heads (not sure if it's the head or some electronics, it sometimes works after a while), so every other field is mostly noise in play, while ffwd seeking and pause looks mostly normal. VCRs with more than 2 heads can often use a different combination of heads for normal play and seeking/pause to achieve cleaner images in those modes, so you can end up getting something even though not all heads are working well.

Not being able to rewind or stop may suggest that there is something more wrong though, maybe the snag caused a gear to skip or broke/bent something.

npbrown82 08-15-2023 04:41 PM

JVC HR-DVS3U (video only on pause, FF or RR)

While I know this thread is from a while ago, I believe it's crucial to contribute with additional insights regarding pending matters (for future Google searchers lik me :). The original poster's problem appears to stem from challenges linked to the "A/C" or "audio control head." It closely resembles the "flying erase head," except this A/C is located in proximity to the pinch roller. On occasion, a simple cleaning suffices to address the issue. At other times, it might be a matter of misalignment. The problem could also be related to a damaged flex cable. In my situation, I'm quite confident that the cause lies in a faulty connector, specifically connector CN2001. I'm currently in the process of replacing it...so wish me luck. I'll update this thread in case this works for me.

Here is a great video about this issue:
https://youtu.be/FuP4hTfZ36s