Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-27-2020, 10:04 PM
Free Member

Hello! I have a question related to a Panasonic AG-1970 machine I've gotten. I've noticed that when it plays tapes, it looks like the PQ looks worse than compared to other VCRs I've played it on. Example:

Tape played on the Panasonic AG-1970 via S-Video on my ATI TV Wonder 600:

Panasonic AG1970.png
Same tape played on my JVC SR-MV45 on my ATI TV Wonder 600 and S-Video:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

What I'm wonder is if it's a head-related issue or cable-related issue or is it normal for this VCR?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by originalsboy11; 07-27-2020 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Grammar issue.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2020, 02:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Is is a worse deck than the MV45, but not that much worse. So yes to both, mixed answer.

I have both decks myself.

We need to see the same image for comparison, to rule out tape issues.

More also needs to be known about the source. These appear to be nth gen (not master/1st-gen recordings) of CN. That's some really bad chroma, if both have TBCs already turned on.

BTW, toon collector here, fan of that CN era, and HB toons, so extra interested in your project. I forget which toon that is offhand (Pixie and Dixie?), not sure if I have copies. And wasn't it officially released from the Warner Archives? Edit: Looked it up. Yes P&D, no release.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2020, 06:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
BTW, toon collector here, fan of that CN era, and HB toons, so extra interested in your project. I forget which toon that is offhand (Pixie and Dixie?), not sure if I have copies. And wasn't it officially released from the Warner Archives? Edit: Looked it up. Yes P&D, no release.
Pixie and Dixie was part of the Huckleberry Hound Show, so the DVD episodes were released under that umbrella title.
07-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Is is a worse deck than the MV45, but not that much worse. So yes to both, mixed answer.

I have both decks myself.

We need to see the same image for comparison, to rule out tape issues.

More also needs to be known about the source. These appear to be nth gen (not master/1st-gen recordings) of CN. That's some really bad chroma, if both have TBCs already turned on.

My apologies, here's the same (or near similar) frame from the Panasonic image passed by the SR-MV45.
JVC SRMV45 2.png

Also, about the tape itself, it doesn't seem to be a 2nd or 3rd gen recording (then again, I got it from eBay so I can't say much).

OT: Yeah, for my project, I just collect tapes off eBay and other places to transfer and share them if possible to YT if there's anything interesting.

07-29-2020, 01:37 AM
Free Member

I think it's time to retire that VCR, You wouldn't know what's wrong with it until you do all the tests according to the service manual, Who knows what you will find, it could be worn heads, failing capacitors, ...etc. One thing you can do without service manual is give the tape path a good clean including the video heads and go from there.
07-29-2020, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Judging by the service manuals, the AG1970P doesn't have 3D digital noise reduction like the JVCs do (when TBC/DNR is enabled), which does a fair bit to clean up noisy chroma, so it will probably be a bit noisier even on a well working one. It has analog CNR like most VCRs do, but that isn't as effective as it can only work to cancel out variations between a few lines. It doesn't have the more fancy digital processing that the 1980P does either.

Bad and aging capacitors (which is a common issue on 90s panasonic decks) and other things can of course also impact it, so not saying there isn't anything wrong with it.

Tags
ag-1970, panasonic, video