Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-11-2020, 03:58 PM
Free Member

Recently, I had managed to find a Toshiba DVR3SU in working condition. I am trying to record footage from my PlayStation 2 on to a few blank DVD-R and DVD-RW discs. They are all brand new and unused. Any DVD I place on the tray and insert into the recorder will only fail and give me a message:

This disc can neither be recorded or played. Please check the disc.
The recorder will then spit out the disc after about 30 seconds of reading it and then displaying that message.

I may not have any compatible discs for recording, sadly. I am also thinking it is the recorder itself, yet it is able to play back commercial DVDs just fine.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Always two potentials:

- Not a good blank disc.
- The drive is failing. RAM/RW goes first, then -/+R, then ROM.

Which brand/speed discs are you using? Did you check the media ID yet?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Always two potentials:

- Not a good blank disc.
- The drive is failing. RAM/RW goes first, then -/+R, then ROM.

Which brand/speed discs are you using? Did you check the media ID yet?
- Sony/Fujifilm DVD-RW (120min, 4.7GB, 2x/1x, 2x only for Fujifilm)
- Memorex DVD-R (16x only)/Philips DVD-R (120min, 4.7GB, 1-16x)

Something I noticed on one of the Fujifilm cases is "Version 1.1", which is something I have not ever heard of. For the Sony DVDs, it says "revision 1.0" on the back of the box.
10-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Do the discs work (record and read) OK in a PC?

Perhaps the DVD reader/writer portion has failed or the DVD read/write laser head is dirty. Can it read prerecorded DVD?

Have you checked firmware versions and for possible updates for the DVR? (note that some older gear might not provide for firmware updates.)
10-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Fuji 2x -RW are nice discs.
Sony can be.
Memorex and Philips are almost always crap CMC media.

If we assume -RW has failed, it leaves -R and -ROM. You know -ROM (pressed media) is working.
The question is still if -R functions, with good media.

Firmware updates not only rarely help with burning, but often actually harmed burn quality. Ironic.

You must be careful with cleaning the lens. This is a last-ditch effort that rarely helps. Odds are that you'll just give the tiny optical laser micro-scratches that renders it even worse. As with VHS heads, never use Q-Tips. (Off-topic: Noting that I've now adopted copy paper only for head cleaning, swab quality has tanked, aside from pricey dSLR sensor swabs.) For cleaning a lens, foam only, 91% or better IPA only.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Free Member

All good points - never update firmware unless you know the update addresses an issue you have.
Looking at the on-line manuals it reads like there is no provision to update firmware.

If I recall correctly in the early days of DVD writers the firmware included tables of write strategies for media. New media may not have been covered.

If it cannot read a known good video disc recorded on the same media (and finalized) on a PC than you know for sure the drive has issues.

While not directly applicable to your machine the link below does provide some insight into potential DVD writer firmware issues. Its date corresponds to your devices vintage (~2004)
https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339083