Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

I was in high school when I first started to learn video editing, getting a Mitsubishi HS-U57 with the flying erase head was a revelation and started me on a long love affair with Mits decks and a first career in video production.

Over the years I've had a couple of HS-U57s and HS-U65s that have all succumbed to power supply failure which appears to be very common with Mitsubishis of that era.

I'm interested in trying to revive these decks if it's mostly a question of recapping (most of the caps have visibly failed). I can do basic soldering tasks and I'm interested in picking up some basic oscilloscope skills to go with.

Ideally though I'd like to start by swapping in a known working supply with these decks to see if the caps took other things with them. Unfortunately, these two models appear to be from slightly different generations and have supplies with different numbers of connections.

The HS-U57 uses a model 927B622 supply with an 8-wire plug and socket for an 11-conductor ribbon cable.

The HS-U65 uses a model 927B495 supply with a 7-wire plug and socket for a 9-conductor ribbon cable.

I'd like to get my original U57 back up and running mostly for sentimental reasons. The U65 though was in very nice shape before it went south and if I can get it operational I think I can sell it for enough to recoup the investment to repair it.

So with that in mind, I'd like to figure out what other decks could be suitable donors if they power up. I don't see a lot of info on the Mits decks out there though. Does anyone know what Mitsubishi decks can be grouped together in terms of likelihood of shared parts?

Based solely on the front panels, I'm thinking that the HS-U55 and possibly the HS-U54 just might use the same PS as the HS-U65, and the HS-U56 just might use the same PS as the HS-U57. (U-55s in particular appear to be both cheaper and more available assuming they are simply the VHS sibling to the SVHS U-65...)

Any insight would be appreciated.

"I can make mistakes myself just fine." - Don Williams
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
mitsubishi, power supply