Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Free Member

I purchased an HR-S9600u JVC VCR that seemed to have a dynamic drum issue. First thing I did was remove the gears for the dynamic drum following the steps outlined on this fourm.

After putting it back together it seemed all was well. I was able to play a few tapes and I began to capture.

My first issue was I saw some dithering (checkerboard) pattern on the output (very minor on composite and moderate on the s-video). I really could not see this dithering except when viewing the status menus. I tried alternative cables and confirmed I did not see the same dithering on my other composite output (confirming the capture card and cables were ok)

I went to switch tapes and load another in. (all was well) when I went to reverse this tape the vcr shutdown (Odd I thought). Turn back ok and a few moments later the VCR shuts back down. Flashing AUTO on the display screen. Tapes properly load and unload and I can change channels in the few moments before the unit shuts back down.

I reopened it back up and I dont see any leaking caps (obviously they still could be bad). (esp with the pattern showing)

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check? Right now I have it sitting in an unheated garage cooling off so I can check to see if it a thermally driven issue.

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2021, 11:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Checkboard dithering can be related to VCR, capture card, TBC, or a combination. Even the s-video cables used have been known to cause this. So full workflow rundown is needed, all gear, all wires.

In terms of the deck failure, not really. You followed latreche's guide, so that question, so PM him to come answer this post. And/or post questions in that thread (which is a mirror of the VH thread, and it should be current).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs