03-16-2021, 03:23 AM
Free Member

D-VHS VCR: Philips VR 20D (almost equivalent: JVC HM DR-10000 ?).
The situation described below lasts from the beginning of owning the device. The pinch roller is in the correct(perfect ?) condition.

1. The device turns on. After connecting to the power, it turns on displaying for 1, maybe 2 seconds, as if these("more or less", because not all of them) "standard icons accompanying the normal playback of the cassette". Then the device goes into standby mode("--:--")(it seems to me to be working properly).

2. After inserting the VHS cassette(with the "record protection tab"* unremoved) unrolls(it seems that it is always correct) the tape - at the same time the display shows "standard playback icons" - then the device so seamlessly and seems to be any length of time: it just properly "waits for commands".
* with the removed, it seems to play "immediately" and correctly(in terms of just starting the playback and its duration)(although perhaps it would be different "on a cold" VCR).

3. Sometimes pressing the button: "PLAY" causes the correct, trouble-free start of the tape, cassette playback[perhaps the more so, the longer the time passes from the process described in the above point("2.") - how long does it "wait", but sometimes(very often) and immediately pressing the "button": "PLAY" starts the correct playback of the tape.
Perhaps matters "here": "heating up" and using the device more often - every few days - and not lying idle for months for months - but a variable situation in this matter/different functioning(correct / incorrect) when using the device in "one time" would rather exclude "this option", but on the other hand not necessarily - "correct: additional heating, running-in of the device is "still" ?"].

Otherwise, such an action(pressing the button: "PLAY") causes the tape to roll and eject the cassette from the VCR(the symbol: "EJECT"("flashing cassette mark" ?) is visible on the display)(most often probably in the case of immediate and/or quick(up to a few seconds) pressing the button: "PLAY" after loading a cassette).

[Sometimes, in various cases, after the task has been commissioned(unless for playback mainly or only) there is a slight/one-second "fight" of the VCR: "whether to turn off or to play"].

4. Stopping the proper playback of the cassette - through the functions: "PAUSE", and then pressing, selecting the functions used to rewind the tape backwards(also directly during normal playback - without "PAUSE") starts this process with an audible "after a while"(almost right away, because it takes 1 second to reach "that") "high" started work(as if unnatural, behind a loud "whistle"/which I think can be objectively assessed as something incorrect**) with its gradual "descending" - this process lasts only up to about 5 seconds(you can see the scrolling of the image on the screen - but a little - temporarily at least("mainly in the first part of these about 5 seconds" ?) - distorted, e.g. through red and blue areas in certain places on the screen), then/during which(after about 5 seconds have elapsed) the VCR turns off with the tape pulled on the mechanism(it did not rewind the tape to its beginning, of course)("turns off" - and describing in more detail, e.g. the display of the VCR shows only the signs: "cassettes" and "--:--").

** The more so that in the cases described in this post, when the tape is rewound forward or backward and the device works properly: this sound does not occur, and then there is(correct operation) sound and work: correct, normal, standard.

Pressing the button: "STANDBY"("0" and "I" "superimposed") or "EJECT" causes the "return" of the VCR, which continues its work for a short time, but does not rewind the tape to its beginning, but literally just by a little - about a minute - then fast-forward for about 30 seconds and stops/properly waits for commands - then - when using the "EJECT" function - ejects the cassette.

4.1. Sometimes(most often): pressing the button: "PAUSE" and then selecting the fast forward function causes the device to work correctly, but after stopping the fast forwarding(during it) by the button: "PAUSE"(maybe "STOP" may would caused the same - I don't know), and then "PLAY" causes the cassette to be pulled out and the VCR goes into "standby mode".

5. Stopping the proper playback of the cassette - through the functions: "STOP", and then pressing, selecting the functions used to fast forward or rewind the tape(also directly during playback - without "STOP": though in this case I don't remember for sure how it works when you select rewind the tape backwards) starts this process and its correct operation(such as and the VCR itself).

6. Sometimes(rarely ?) "after" activities from point: "2." there is an attempt to start playback of the recording ("PLAY")(also probably or only if the function: "PLAY" is not selected - something like that - I don't know(I don't remember)) - but to no avail - it is manifested by the device's strenuous attempt(fight to play recording): gentle reduction of power(towards switching off the device to "standby" mode(?); manifested, among other things, by dimming the all LEDs) - then returning to power and so on and on, this process continues(it repeats itself over and over again): moment by moment("once like this - once different") with simultaneous rapid flashing of the LEDs on the VCR panel: "STD "and probably less often: "LS3"(perhaps you can also hear such a "alternating" sound as it is "once audible" when you press the "PLAY" button and correct playback cassettes).

If I remember correctly and it seems to me it is so long, the process(and, for example, not pressing "PLAY" at some point) causes the device to turn off - it goes into "standby mode" or maybe it "fights" for a long time(I don't know, I don't remember).

6.1. Sometimes the correct start of the recording is caused by pressing(at the right moment) - during this situation(from point: "6.") - the button: "PLAY". The playback itself then and in general in this device runs without any problems(although it happened(once) most likely the automatic speeding up of playback(not as intense as when using the fast forward function and without distortion of the image, however, the sound of the recording was probably not audible at the time) - perhaps also caused by repeated, fast(again and again) pressing the button on the flap of the device: "SMART PICTURE", used to change "picture mode": "SHARP", "SOFT", etc.).
========================================
7. It happened/has happened that the video recorder tried to finish work/some activity during which and/or after which it turned off in such a way that all tensioning mechanisms of the tape were hiding(it was returning to its correct idle place ?), and the tape remained loosely pulled out in the VCR(with the cassette hatch open and loaded - without any attempt to return it by the VCR). Reactivating the device resulted in a(correct ?) tension on the tape and/or removal of the cassette.

7.1. It happened in certain situations, that the VCR "jammed" the tape, destroying it(due to the fact that it was turned off without being instructed to turn off and what was related to it)(for example, the unrolled portion of a cassette tape in a VCR while the cassette is ejected simultaneously).

8. Sometimes the VCR did not perform the tasks assigned to it, but sought/caused the process of removing the cassette from it.

9. Sometimes(very rarely) pressing a given button causes: operation of the device in its function other than the selected one(and it seems that it was not remembered/selected as the last one before, e.g. unwanted switching to the "standby mode" of the device)(e.g. no selected start of fast forwarding and not responding to the button: "PAUSE", and "STOP" yes - disabling the previously activated: "DIGITAL TBC/NR" button during this operation, and over time it happens during this operation switching back on this("DIGITAL TBC/NR") - detection/stating on the basis of the LED on the device panel).

10. Pressing: "PLAY" sometimes ejects the cassette(I wrote about it in this post) or fast-forward it - at this, for example, a recording in "SP"(the same before - correctly - "classified" by the VCR) is read as: "LP" and "S-VHS"(and in fact and by the VCR itself "previously correctly" as: VHS)("S-VHS" most often "flashes" - it is not constantly displayed ?). Sometimes, for example: "LP" - "shines" just like that(although perhaps this is a bug that is only(?) the effect of linking to the "main cause of this matter").

It seems that these various anomalies(eg from the point: "9." and "10") most often occur after the "device is returned to work" after it has not been instructed to go into "standby mode"(the device turns off against commands given to it).

11. I know that sometimes some VCRs "don't like" "certain" cassettes ...

12. I have some experience with many other VCRs(including "top" S-VHS VCRs: JVC, Panasonic) and their work, operation(with their various functions).

Sometimes probably there may also appear some "deviations" from the situations described above "here".
The device was not tested for a very long time and at many various times*** in order to describe the processes taking place in it more accurately and reliably, but the above-described situations take place "always"(?)(usually - when would turn it on, it is like that).

*** There were, however this unit, many(several dozen) months ago "tested"(probably in more than one stage and with monthly intervals between these months(stages)): with the same symptoms as "now".
"It"(most of this post) was described in such a general way, because maybe something else could be noticed in more detail - a given situation - and finally described.
I have read something that maybe in these D-VHS VCRs(and some others ?) it is a known situation - sometimes(most often or maybe always) caused by: capacitors ? Although maybe what else is going on here... I don't know, I don't know anything about it.
I could make a mistake in the content of this post(not intentionally) - for which possibility - "in advance": sorry.

Last edited by dima; 03-16-2021 at 04:23 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Free Member

When asking for help try to be as short and descriptive as possible, a long post turn away members, So in a nutshell what's your problem? Note that tapes with tab removed go to playback mode automatically this is a feature almost every VCR has it, If the tab is intact it assumes it's a blank tape and therefore it won't playback the tape automatically.
03-17-2021, 03:20 AM
Free Member

The problem is not with the "record protection tab"(with VHS cassettes) - or at least it doesn't seem to be for me. I just mentioned this "by the way" in the previous post in this thread - which(this post) I think you need to read the whole thing to get a good understanding of "this problem".

I thought maybe answer on "this problem" is in this thread(http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...0am-keeps.html), but the VCRs mentioned by me "here"(in this thread) probably don't have DDS(Dynamic Drum System)...
03-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Free Member

Some people don't include enough info when asking for help, and some people include too much info. Your first post is a classic example of the latter. Lest you think I'm attacking you, I tend to have the same tendency. There are probably dozens of my posts on various forums with no replies simply because I included so much info (much of it irrelevant) that people couldn't/didn't want to sift through a novel to find the key points.

Now you may not have enough experience to know what info is relevant, and that is OK. But if you want people to help you you should craft your first post to be a very concise description of the symptoms you're seeing. Try not to speculate on causes, explain troubleshooting steps in detail or other various asides if it's going to make your post longer than a paragraph or so. You can always provide more info in follow-up posts after someone responds (if it is even needed--experts who have "seen everything twice" can often identify the problem just from the basics).

Or if you want to include all of the detail, put a 1-2 sentence summary at the top of the post in bold and preface it with "tl;dr" (internet slang for "too long; didn't read"). That way people can quickly suss out whether they even have the experience to be able to help without wading through everything chapter and verse.

Also, a descriptive subject line is key. Put the make/model of the VCR in there and a few more words describing the issue (or the biggest issue if there are multiples). That way people with knowledge of your specific model of VCR might be more tempted to read the post.

The other suggestion would be to show the problem(s) by taking videos or still photos and attaching/linking them to your post. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Peoples' time and attention spans are limited, so you need to make it easy for them to help you. I'm not trying to single you out--a lot of people need this advice--especially me! Look how long this reply has gotten
03-17-2021, 12:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima View Post
D-VHS VCR:...
What exactly is your concern, or question? I'm not sure what you're wanting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Note that tapes with tab removed go to playback mode automatically this is a feature almost every VCR has it, If the tab is intact it assumes it's a blank tape and therefore it won't playback the tape automatically.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima View Post
The problem is not with the "record protection tab"(with VHS cassettes) - or at least it doesn't seem to be for me. I just mentioned this "by the way" in the previous post in this thread - which(this post) I think you need to read the whole thing to get a good understanding of "this problem"..
Still not understanding the issue/question, but just a comment to add...

JVC VCRs develop motor issues. Certain midlife and EOL models more than others, and that included most D-VHS decks. The 7800/7900/V10/101 have it most (and something I've replaced on my refurbs) -- but it's not a reason to avoid those decks, as those are some of the better decks. Some components progressed, some did not, and that includes the transport motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdano View Post
Lest you think I'm attacking you, I tend to have the same tendency.
I can blather in emails, but it's because we're already conversing on a subject. Never forum posts, never first/early contacts. Learning to edit yourself is a skill, and it's beneficial in many ways.

Quote:
you should craft your first post to be a very concise description of the symptoms you're seeing. Try not to speculate on causes, explain troubleshooting steps in detail or other various asides if it's going to make your post longer than a paragraph or so. You can always provide more info in follow-up posts after someone responds (if it is even needed--experts who have "seen everything twice" can often identify the problem just from the basics).
Correct. He's a Premium Member, so we give wider latitude to site supporters. But still, if you make it too long, I get lost. Same for replying to my PMs without quoting earlier conversation.

Quote:
Or if you want to include all of the detail, put a 1-2 sentence summary at the top of the post in bold and preface it with "tl;dr" (internet slang for "too long; d
I've never been fond of that. TL'DR isn't a good substitute for simply self-editing remarks.

Quote:
Also, a descriptive subject line is key.
This thread's title was fine.

Quote:
The other suggestion would be to show the problem(s) by taking videos or still photos and attaching/linking them to your post. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Not too often with VCRs. Video samples are often needed for other areas, however. It is, after all, video!

Quote:
Peoples' time and attention spans are limited,
Look how long this reply has gotten

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-17-2021, 01:52 PM
Free Member

I decided to give the first post a read, However passed the half of it I still couldn't understand what the problem is, so decided to stop reading because I didn't think I would understand the remaining since I have no clue what the problem is up to that point, I think the OP is using some kind of automatic translation and in that case he has to word his language in a certain way that the translation would come out with a meaningful subject, And in a shorter version off course.
03-18-2021, 05:11 AM
Free Member

I apologize for any possible "evil" related to this thread that I may "carry" with me - but I didn't intended it and it is not intended still.
Thank you for any kind comments, tips and information.

Generally, what is wrong with this VCR is described starting from point: "3.", and much more: "4."(in the first post of this thread).
I tried to describe "this problem" in detail, but at the same time as short and legible as possible, so that it would be understandable for "everything" what is related to this case. Also, I tried to translate into English not "automatically"(robot), but by editing it "in a human way".

As I wrote in one of the previous posts(now in a bit different words): I think you need to read the whole thing of the first post of this thread to get a good understanding of "this problem".

I think that a (eg. relatively slow) reading of this mine text one time(first post of this thread) is able to make its message understandable for those who read it.

Of course I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, and thank you for your interest in "this topic" so far.
03-18-2021, 01:23 PM
Free Member

We tried man, Good luck however. Is there any repair shops where you live? I'm pretty sure power related problems could still be fixed by modern technicians since the basics of powering a system hasn't changed much over the last 15 years or so.