Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Video8 was introduced in 1985. I imagine that Sony provided training to service professionals in that era. I browsed the web in hope of a training video, but could not find any.

So my question basically is: does somebody have video8 training material on servicing/repairing, available to share ? I already have a service manual of a EV-S600 VCR, but that does not describe the dynamics of the mechanics.

Best regards,
Roland Vossen.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Free Member

The problem is acquiring the test equipment, most of them are proprietary especially Sony and JVC such as gauges, adjustment tools, remotes, calibration tapes ... etc. The only thing you can get now is an oscilloscope and multi meter.
04-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandV View Post
Hi,

Video8 was introduced in 1985. I imagine that Sony provided training to service professionals in that era. I browsed the web in hope of a training video, but could not find any.

So my question basically is: does somebody have video8 training material on servicing/repairing, available to share ? I already have a service manual of a EV-S600 VCR, but that does not describe the dynamics of the mechanics.

Best regards,
Roland Vossen.
It could be a very long training video! Many Video 8 camcorders were sold but they are generally quite miniaturised, packed with multiple circuit boards, quite delicate to work on etc. I would not recommend anyone lacking general service experience starting with a small camcorder. What service experience and skills do you have?

The main problems with many Video 8 camcorders these days is failed SMD capacitors. At least these parts seem still readily available as they are used in all sorts of electronic devices. How to replace them is probably not mentioned in the service manuals. Often all SMD caps need replacing. Unfortunately gel inside them can ooze out and damage the quite miniaturised circuit boards with their quite thin copper tracks. It's a tricky, delicate, time consuming job, requiring patience, good eyesight and a very steady hand. There are various YT videos on replacing SMD caps, some better than others. That would often be the first work done, and sometimes in a well preserved, clean camcorder it's all that needs doing.
But it isnt guaranteed as there may be other problems such as damaged video heads, tired pinch roller, tired belts, damaged tape loading mechanism and generally needing a good clean and lube. Most people have no idea how complex and miniaturised these devices are. They work to very fine mechanical tolerances. Working on a VHS machine by comparison is generally much easier but even that is not necessarily easy either.

Last edited by timtape; 04-10-2021 at 03:04 PM.
04-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Free Member

I believe that the EV-S600 was a desk top VCR, not a camcorder. It appears to have contains standard size PC boards. However, board mounted component repair was likely by board replacement rather than replacement of individual components on a board. (Boards were cheaper than labor by the 8mm/Hi8 days, only a hobbiest could afford to take the time to trouble shoot and replace individual surface mounted components while machines were under factory parts support.)

Sony (and some Canon) Video8/Hi8 gear used a special modified version of the Sony RM-95 remote control for internal electronic tests and adjustments.

Mechanical adjustments were often covered in a separate manual. For example the EV-C100 and EV-S7000 Service manuals both cite the "8mm Video MECHANICAL ADJUSTMENT MANUAL III (U MECHANISM)", publication 9-972-732-11) Separate manuals were published for the U MECHANISM and the A MECHANISM. They run around 50 pages or so each. The service manual should identify which mechanism was used in your machine..

They also itemized the service tools/items needed. The specialized items that may be difficult to find these days are: alignment tape, FWD/REW torque cassette, Adjusting Remote Control, rotary drum jig, and mode selector kit.

Tags
repairs, sony, video 8