Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-27-2021, 11:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj View Post
maybe warping isn't the right term for the image distortion i saw but there was definitely a bunch of tracking. if tbc's can't fix that, i'm not sure what their value is. that's the most common problem with the tapes i have.
Nothing can fix a video coming from a tape splice going across the video head, Because the way fields are laid down on the tape in an angle and the splice is a 90 degree cut, So you can never get a clean video. those few seconds long when the splice goes over the drum are lost forever. and try to avoid doing so because you may damage the video heads.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-28-2021, 12:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Nothing can fix a video coming from a tape splice going across the video head, Because the way fields are laid down on the tape in an angle and the splice is a 90 degree cut, So you can never get a clean video. those few seconds long when the splice goes over the drum are lost forever. and try to avoid doing so because you may damage the video heads.
based on the discussion in this thread i asked them not to splice and just put the tape around the reel to avoid any damage to the video heads. but i imagine the same still applies about not getting a clean image.
04-28-2021, 04:27 AM
Free Member

No, You have to have the clear leader for video tapes, If the optical sensor doesn't detect the clear leader while rewinding the tape the motor will shoot through the end and could cause another break. Just capture the tape the way it is and edit out the scrambled part after capture, That's it, you don't have any other choice.
04-28-2021, 04:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
No, You have to have the clear leader for video tapes, If the optical sensor doesn't detect the clear leader while rewinding the tape the motor will shoot through the end and could cause another break. Just capture the tape the way it is and edit out the scrambled part after capture, That's it, you don't have any other choice.
looking at the tape, i can't really tell if they added a clear leader or not. i'm assuming they did from what you've said about how the optical sensor works.

i started the capture. the tape got about halfway and cut again. looks like one of those diagonal tears that happens when the tape sticks together. i'll need to get the remaining tape transferred to a new casing.

i put a different tape in and it got stuck in the camcorder. i don't know if the tape that got cut damaged the camcorder or if my tapes are just old and degraded. do i need to get them all transferred to new cases? i haven't had any of these kinds of issues with vhs tapes. only hi8. the hi8 tapes are between 15 and 20 years old. but they've barely been played since the recordings were made.
04-28-2021, 07:41 PM
Free Member

If they are breaking along a shallow diagonal line as before it's almost certainly tape winds sticking due to mould or some other "gluey" substance. To avoid it happening again the tapes need to be treated to remove whatever is causing winds to stick to each other.

Last edited by timtape; 04-28-2021 at 08:26 PM.
04-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Free Member

i disconnected all power to the camcorder and was able to take out the 2nd cassette. now the tape is cut on this 2nd cassette. not sure if it got cut in the process of me trying to take it out or during playback or if it was cut before i put it in.

i've been doing some reading and it looks like 8mm cassettes are more susceptible to wear and tear than vhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
If they are breaking along a shallow diagonal line as before it's almost certainly tape winds sticking due to mould or some other "gluey" substance. Before winding or playing the tapes need to be treated to remove whatever is causing winds to stick.
can you elaborate on what you mean by treated? i'd like to know so i can figure out how to find a service provider in my era. is there a way to determine if a tape needs treatment or should i just get them all treated just to be safe?
04-28-2021, 08:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj View Post
i disconnected all power to the camcorder and was able to take out the 2nd cassette. now the tape is cut on this 2nd cassette. not sure if it got cut in the process of me trying to take it out or during playback or if it was cut before i put it in.

i've been doing some reading and it looks like 8mm cassettes are more susceptible to wear and tear than vhs.

can you elaborate on what you mean by treated? i'd like to know so i can figure out how to find a service provider in my era. is there a way to determine if a tape needs treatment or should i just get them all treated just to be safe?
Again the most likely cause is mould attached to the edges of the tape pack. You might see evidence of white or grey mould on the top surface of the tape packs viewed through the clear plastic window of the cassettes. I'm guessing removing this is not the sort of thing most shops would attempt. Someone like Specs Bros or Vidipax would be qualified I should think, if anybody was.
04-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Again the most likely cause is mould attached to the edges of the tape pack. You might see evidence of white or grey mould on the top surface of the tape packs viewed through the clear plastic window of the cassettes.
there's no visible mould on the majority of the tapes i have. including the 2 that got cut. so i'm not sure how to determine if they are safe to play or not.

Quote:
I'm guessing removing this is not the sort of thing most shops would attempt. Someone like Specs Bros or Vidipax would be qualified I should think, if anybody was.
looks like vidipax is out of business but specs bros are still operational. i'll get in touch with them if no one local can tackle the job.