digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-S5990AM Crackling Audio on Left (White) RCA output (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12109-jvc-s5990am-crackling.html)

servese43 08-20-2021 11:51 PM

JVC HR-S5990AM Crackling Audio on Left (White) RCA output

Hi everyone,
After getting my hands on some new equipment, I started capturing my tapes again. Shortly after I started capturing my first tape, I realised that there was some crackling in the audio. After some troubleshooting I pinned the issue down to the left RCA Audio jack on my JVC HR-S5990AM. Are there any things I should look out for if I decide to open up the VCR and take a look at the board with the RCA ports on it? Also, would it be possible to use coaxial OUT for the audio and S-video for the video as a workaround?

Thanks

RobustReviews 08-21-2021 04:17 AM

Well, no there's an annoying one!

Firstly, are these VHS HiFi tapes? - If they are a head-clean might be in order. HiFi can be a right so-and-so to deal with.

If they're linear (that's 'not HiFi') it could be a host of things, I know you've done some troubleshooting but let's think what you might do:
  • Does it happen on all tapes?
  • Have you swapped the cables over L/R to see if the issue shifts to the Right channel?
  • When the distortion occurs, does it encroach on the picture? - Any white/black flashes etc?

Are you working with stereo tapes?

We can go from there!

RR

servese43 08-21-2021 04:23 AM

Never mind. Just realised that it was actually just a shonky RCA to 3.5 millimetre adapter because the issue does not occur when I plug my VCR straight into the TV. Should've done some slightly more thorough troubleshooting before I started this thread. Sorry!

RobustReviews 08-21-2021 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by servese43 (Post 79314)
Never mind. Just realised that it was actually just a shonky RCA to 3.5 millimetre adapter because the issue does not occur when I plug my VCR straight into the TV. Should've done some slightly more thorough troubleshooting before I started this thread. Sorry!

No bother - adaptors by and large are rubbish, I have a set of 'not insignificantly expensive' headphones from one of the top manufacturers and the 6mm adaptor that came with that was rubbish so I cut the plug off and soldered my own 6mm on.

Sometimes you get lucky, another issue I've found with them is that sometimes the extra mass that they add can open up the contacts inside the plug too.

It's a nice easy fix, I'd spend a few of whichever is your favoured currency unit on a formed cable rather than use adaptors, you can get RCA to 3.5mm TRS very cheaply, even for good quality cables so might be worth an investment.

Glad it's sorted for you!