09-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Free Member

I recently had my Panasonic AG-1980 sent in for a refurbishing. Picture quality was getting dark, front display was dim, etc. When I got it back the picture quality was much improved, the front display was nice and bright. I thought all was right with the world again.

So, I played a couple tapes with no problems. Had it on probably about 4 hours. The next day I was going to make some transfers from VHS with this machine when, after just a few minutes, it just powered down. It wouldn't turn back on at all. So, I unplugged it and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it back in and it turned on and played the tape for about 30 minutes. Then the same thing happened again. It just powered down while the tape was playing. Unplugged it again and let it sit overnight.

This morning it turned back on okay. I started playing a tape and this time it was only a few minutes before it shut itself off.

Anyone have an idea why this might be happening? I will say that the technician who worked on it is highly recommended here at FAQ and (when running) the VCR works great now, so I doubt it was something he did. Seems like some sort of power supply problem maybe?

I see someone on eBay has a refurbished power supply for sale but I don't know if that may be something to consider or not. I don't know how hard it is to replace it or if that is really the problem.

Can someone offer some advice? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors