Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2021, 07:35 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and I can use some help. The other day I found a JVC HR-S9600U in a local thrift store for a staggering $10. The VCR looks like it was never seriously used; even the heads look pristine. It's couldn't find the remote in the store, but that's an issue for later.

The problem I'm having is that the capstan (or pinch roller) is having trouble with tapes. When in play mode, the capstan creates a dreadful screech, stops playing after a couple seconds and then shuts down. I can "help it along" by applying a bit of pressure on the pinch roller and it keeps the tape moving, but that screech doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The front VU meters seem to indicate there is nothing wrong with tape playback (I've yet to observe the video outputs), but I cant do much more until the transport is fixed. Is this just an issue of dried lubricant, or is it something else?

Also, are there any other preventative measures I can use to keep this VCR in good shape. I see a lot of information (or maybe just nonsense) about applying new grease, recaps, etc.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2021, 07:49 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Sounds like a usual JVC failed clutch, this is the normal nonsense with JVC mechs.

I'll await a JVC expert as I'm really nothing more than on nodding terms with JVC mechs but usually it's that useless clutch that's exploded.

Wait for a JVC expert though, but when I've dealt with them there's a hazy memory the capstan drives from the weak useless clutch.

They're easily available and about 5 minutes to replace if that's the issue, but I reiterate - await a JVC bod.