digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Using PAL parts to fix NTSC (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12201-pal-parts-fix.html)

drzapp 09-27-2021 10:54 PM

Using PAL parts to fix NTSC

So I have a HR-s9500u I'm restoring, and of course parts are hard to find. However, there are often hr-s8500EU and hr-s8600EU on ebay for cheap. Looking over what schematics I can find, it appears the mechanism is identical, and the main circuit board is very close. I'm guessing that the only difference would be in the video system, as the raw data collected by the video heads would then be put into either NTSC or PAL format. Has anyone swapped parts between NTSC and PAL that could give me some tips? Thanks.

latreche34 09-28-2021 12:15 AM

The system control will be different, The drum and capstan motor controls have different speeds, The display board and control will be different, So it is not a good idea to swap electrinics, Mechanism is possible as long as the heads have the same number of heads and ribbon cables and connectors to the chassis are identical.

hodgey 09-28-2021 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is it mechanism parts or electronics? The mechanism should be the same between European and American units (other than the head drum itself, there are some differences between head width and angle between video and hi-fi heads). There will be some slight differences in the electronics though, most notably the video parts. The base setup was shared between EU and US models though, and the PAL variants play NTSC tapes fine, and the TBC even works on it, the output is however PAL60.

Depending on what you need you may also be able to source it from the cheaper models from the lineup, JVC shared a lot of parts between the models in each lineup. The attached PDF is some tech guide on the models from this particular year, which shows all the different model variations. Other than the dynamic drum bits and the tape stabilizer/impedance roller thingy, the mechanism is the same between all the units as far as I know.

drzapp 09-28-2021 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm mostly scavenging mechanical parts, but there are a few transistors/ varistors/ diodes that are obsolete and discontinued, so I would be taking individual electrical components, not whole boards. I didn't know the capstain speed was different, thanks for pointing that out.
I have already scavenged many parts from a HR-s3910u that I got for $20, but of course there's no dynamic drum parts on the cheaper ones.

hodgey 09-28-2021 12:43 PM

Ah. Yeah those things will be fine to grab from a different one if it's the same part. It's mainly the ICs, crystals and power supply that will have differences between PAL and NTSC.

Are there really 8500 and 8600's on ebay for cheap? Those are excellent decks, they're the PAL equivs to the 7500U and 7600U, the EU 7500 has DD but no TBC, EU 7600 has TBC but no DD). I would have thought they would have gone for a bit of money, seems a bit of a waste to cannibalize those for parts unless they're broken or something.

There are a few non-SVHS models in the lineup that had the dynamic drum, they were named with HR-DDxxx , the US variants from the 1999 lineup seem to be HR-DD750U. From what I can see in the SM, the system was the same as in the SVHS ones. The mechs changed very slightly from the next year on, so not sure if only some or all of those mech parts are interchangeable or not. The older models from 1998 (e.g HR-S9400U, HR-DD840U etc, second numer usually indicates model year) and earlier have a very different mechanism and the electronics differ a fair bit too, so those won't have much shared parts.

drzapp 09-28-2021 06:30 PM

Well, depends on your definition of cheap, but in the $150-$250 shipped range. Considering the working ones go for 2-3x that, I can get two nonworking ones to make 1 good one and make some profit. The HR-s9XXXU models are twice that for just the non-working ones, so it's even better if I can use the PAL models to repair NTSC.

I think the HR-DDxxx have the dynamic drum with just a motor and belt, instead of the gears found in the HR-S9xxx series, do you know if that is the case? If it is the same, that would be awesome, since the limiting factor on restoring the HR-S9xxx is the dynamic drum parts, at least until 3d printing improves in resolution and strength.

hodgey 09-28-2021 06:56 PM

It looked like the DD750 and S9500 used the same system in the service manual at least, double check to be sure though. It looks like the "high-end model" variant dellsam34 mentions in his thread if that's what you're thinking of. I think the other version is from the older generation models which had a different mechanism altogether, the "low-end model" variant looks like the one mentioned in the HR-S9400E service manual I looked at and doesn't look like it would fit on the 1998+ model mechanism.

drzapp 09-30-2021 03:47 PM

I can't find a service manual for the DD750, do you have one in a shareable format?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgey (Post 80088)
It looked like the DD750 and S9500 used the same system in the service manual at least, double check to be sure though. It looks like the "high-end model" variant dellsam34 mentions in his thread if that's what you're thinking of. I think the other version is from the older generation models which had a different mechanism altogether, the "low-end model" variant looks like the one mentioned in the HR-S9400E service manual I looked at and doesn't look like it would fit on the 1998+ model mechanism.

hodgey 09-30-2021 04:36 PM

Haven't found the U variant specifically, but the manual for the Brazilian/PALM variant (HR-DD750M) can be found here, and it refers to the SM for the DD750U for most details listing only the differences and shows the mechanism stuff in the parts list.

drzapp 10-17-2021 05:17 PM

A quick follow-up, I got a DD750u, and it does have the exact gear driven dynamic drum as found in the
hr-s9x00u models. Not only that, but the tape mechanism is identical to the HR-s9500u and 9600u, and only slightly different than the 9800- One of the static backtension pins has a plastic mount that is metal in the 9800, the capstan braking mechanism is different, as well as the size and design of the gears. So not a drop-in replacement for the 9800.
Since the DD750u can be found in the $50 range on ebay, seems like a good source for s9x00u parts and the gear driven dynamic drum.