Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-14-2021, 01:34 PM
Free Member

Hi Folks. I recently purchased a deck (JVC SR-MV40) and CP7U-like VHS-C adapter (VW-GTW7E) from lordsmurf. I used the deck for a couple of standard VHS captures without issue, but sadly after my first time using the VHS-C adapter and deck together, the adapter and tape are now stuck in the deck. The deck is still functioning well otherwise (Play, Stop, FF, RW, etc. are working), but something's preventing eject from operating correctly.

Any suggestions? I've attached a video showing an attempted eject with the deck's cover removed.

Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_0073.mov (66.43 MB, 17 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2021, 12:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Awww, no.

- Something could have happened to the adapter in transit. Not likely, but perhaps.
- It could also be the VHS-C tape at fault.
- It was tested here, and was fine.

The service manual may show how to manually eject the tape, without harming the deck. (Don't harm that deck!)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-15-2021, 04:57 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Be gentle, those late JVC transports are very delicate and I daresay, a bit flimsy at this stage.

It could well the cassette, there's a thing we occasionally have where the cassette (proper) doesn't quite load properly in to the cassette adaptor, it's difficult to describe by the flap can end up partially hooked where it shouldn't be, this can create all sorts of nonsense.

Remove the upper portion of the cassette loading mech' and extracting the tape for examination would be initial fix but that's for you to agree with LS - whatever it is, it's more likely to be 'one of those things' than anything terminal.

If you try and wrench the tape out though, you could end up in a right dilly of a pickle....

Those Panasonic adapters are the most trouble-free in my experience, anything else (including the JVC ones) need to go in the bin.
11-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Free Member

You will have to do the off power manual eject, check the service manual.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
11-15-2021, 08:58 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I found a service manual and managed to manually removed it *phew*

I tested it with another VHS-C adapter, a JVC CP6U. While this doesn't sound to be a recommended adapter, I've had no issues with it in my AG-1980, and it ejected without issue from the MV40 after the manual removal and reassembly.

I'm now very nervous with the Pano VW-GTW7E and the deck in general to an extent. I can't say I want to gamble with the combination of the two again. What would you do in this situation? Trash the VW-GTW7E? Or take a chance with it and manually remove if it gets stuck again (I can't say it was a super straightforward process and I would prefer avoid repeating it)

Edit:

For anyone who runs into this I used the following manual (page 15):
https://www.manualslib.com/download/...Dr-Mv1suc.html
11-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Free Member

Find out why it gets stuck, If unable to do so just toss it and get a JVC one.

11-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This is all so odd.

The problem with the JVC adapter is finding one. Too many on eBay are damaged, be it leaked battery acid, or broken plastic, or "for parts" listings, or people that stunk it up like an ashtray. That said, I do see one on there now, for about $34 shipped/taxed.

Once upon a time, JVC and Panasonic were sister companies, both part of Matsushita. There was some sharing of tech between Victor (JVC) and Panasonic, both Japanese companies. The motorized VHS-C adapters were obviously one of them. While JVC long ago ceased to exist (2008, the recession), Panasonic continued.

The Panasonic branded adapters are not only still available, but new. At some point in the 2010s, I fully believe that Panasonic either did a production run of these adapters, or found a forgotten stash somewhere. Because the market got flooded by them after 2015. For a while, you could get a new adapter for $10. That slowly changed, and the pandemic jumped prices (and probably to stay) into the ~$40 range. I now wish I'd have bought more.

So what you have now is:
- junk
- used stuff, sometimes very (ab)used
- new Panasonics
- used+new JVC, which can disappear for months, then have a glut of 1-2 dozen, then disappear for months again

The Panasonic and JVC should be identical in every way. I think the Panasonic has a piece of plastic that's translucent like the top lid, not opaque black, but that's it.

And I tested your adapter, in your deck!

@Robust: The MV deck transports are not flimsy. Those were made for professional settings. The downfall, of course, is that far too many were abused in those pro use settings (govt, edu, sports). So before anybody runs to eBay, be aware all are in dire need of servicing, including the BS "tested" and "working" units. To date, I've only seen maybe 1-2 that were maintained and properly operational, and I've probably had 100 on my workbench over the past 6 years.

This all said, my time is more valuable than a cheap ~$40 item. I'd grit my teeth, say some choice words, toss it, and move on. I'd do more testing before quitting, try to find out why it's happening (and probably share my findings here on this site), but I'd never risk my best JVC and Panasonic decks for the tests.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-16-2021, 07:11 AM
Free Member

Does the VW-GTW7E work fine in other decks? It's always possible that something in the adapter could have gone out of position or something in shipping.

The JVC CP6U is a good adapter, it's pretty much identical to the C-P7U, not actually sure what the difference between them are. They are also found under some different brandings, e.g philips and RCA (I think there may even be panasonic-branded ones).
JVC C-P6U.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Maybe the panasonics RobustReviews are thinking of are e.g the VW-TCA7E which came with camcorders and such and are also very well built.
(Bottom one here, top one is the generic one. The top one is missing the battery cover and is broken from being shot out of a vcr and falling on the floor, so the guides may not be in the correct spot.)
VHSC_Philips.jpg

I can't find anything on that specific panasonic name. I know there are panasonic branded variants of this generic VHS-C adapter that you tend to get new when searching for a vhsc-adapter (no idea who is the original manufacturers but it's found under a bunch of different brands.) In my experience they tend to be ok, but they are a bit wonky and sometimes fail to thread the tape fully when inserting a tape into the adapter. Haven't used them with this mech though. (They also don't work properly in the Panasonic AG7350 for whatever reason.) You can spot the difference between the other mentioned models that they e.g don't have the tab that prevents inserting if there is no tape in, and the position of the slider that opens it is different.

This mech is was used in late model JVCs starting around 2003 or something, both the "professional" SR models and consumer ones including some DVD/VHS combos and very late-model SVHS decks. They seem to have started outsourcing some of their VCRs at some point though as many of the combos and cheaper models from then on seem to be LG or Orion OEM decks and have completely different mechanisms, internals and interfaces.

11-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Some VHS-C tapes can damage the adapter, It is recommended to quick check the tape before inserting it, make sure the reels spin freely when the brake is released, no signs of mold or stickiness, no tape slack or tightness, no missing or loose parts.