digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC VCR remote LP20303-009 not working? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12321-jvc-vcr-remote.html)

GrantGreat04 12-04-2021 12:32 AM

JVC VCR remote LP20303-009 not working?

Calling all JVC experts (which I clearly am not! lol)

I have 2 JVC decks I'm trying to use the remote with one is the HR-S3900U and the other is HR-S3600U. S3600U has menu button the front so not a big deal. But the S3900U does not. So I want to access that menu. I have a remote that worked for years on both decks, then one day it just stopped. So I picked up another on eBay for a few bucks. It (erratically) worked the first day. It wouldn't work for the first few minutes, then worked steadily. Very odd behavior. Then today it wouldn't do a thing. I'm 100% sure the batteries are good. What is going on? I find it hard to believe both of these remotes are dead on both VCR's? Also for the record, the 2nd remote only worked with the S3900U that first day. It never worked with the S3600U.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

lordsmurf 12-04-2021 01:30 AM

If you were to dismantle the remote, odds are the mainboard has battery acid on it. It's just a dud remote. You were correct in getting the LP20303, but simply have a bad copy.

RobustReviews 12-04-2021 06:23 AM

Point at your phone camera, if the LED flashes under a digital camera image then it's producing 'something'.

Or point it close to an AM radio tuned to nothing and press a button, if you get a static buzz from the radio, something is happening.

I'm here all week...

hodgey 12-04-2021 07:18 AM

If you are lucky it could be the battery contacts that are corroded but not the PCB itself. Leaked battery stuff, provided it's from normal alkaline batteries (and not from old-style rechargeable NiCd ones which is rather toxic) can be cleaned off with something acidic like vinegar or citric acid, use gloves.

GrantGreat04 05-23-2022 06:22 PM

3rd or 4th remote

Ok I'm on the 3rd or 4th remote I've tried and it won't work with either the HR-S3900U or the HR-S3600U. I am very confused. The first remote (that I still have)worked with both just fine, and then just stopped. But now I can't find one that will work with either one. And I don't see how the receiver would die in both VCR's at the same time? Any other thoughts? Sorry it's been such a long time. Everything takes forever when you have kids lol.

themaster1 05-30-2022 03:30 PM

What happen if you unplug the power cord of either one of your 2 vcr's ? Does the remote work flawlessly ?

GrantGreat04 07-19-2022 03:12 PM

VCR

Well I try it on them separately. I only ever have on plugged in at a time.

hodgey 07-19-2022 05:14 PM

Did you check that the remotes and vcrs are set to the right remote code?

Also check that the remotes are flashing the infrared light when buttons are pressed using a phone camera as noted by RobustReviews.

RobustReviews 07-19-2022 05:24 PM

Yep, checking for IR is the first port of call.

There was recently a poster who'd bought a machine from LS and had an issue with a failed LED (or IR receiver, can't recall which) in the machine.

But as said, first check you have IR, then check you've not got conflicting remote codes set as these machines have a non-interfering code set to allow for operation of two machines in a dubbing arrangement.

lordsmurf 07-20-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobustReviews (Post 86060)
There was recently a poster who'd bought a machine from LS and had an issue with a failed LED (or IR receiver, can't recall which) in the machine.

That was irritating, but he was thankfully able to easily fix it. Sometimes shipping jostle, temps, elevation, and humidity changes can mess with gear components negatively. Since it was perfectly fine for me, that has to be it. It's rare, only the 2nd time anything like that has happened in years.

Quote:

No it's not. First is always the remote, then remote code, ... eventually IR. Just not first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantGreat04 (Post 84931)
Ok I'm on the 3rd or 4th remote I've tried and it won't work with either the HR-S3900U or the HR-S3600U. I am very confused. The first remote (that I still have)worked with both just fine, and then just stopped. But now I can't find one that will work with either one. And I don't see how the receiver would die in both VCR's at the same time? Any other thoughts? Sorry it's been such a long time. Everything takes forever when you have kids lol.

Are these recent acquisitions? From the same source?

Hushpower 07-20-2022 01:39 AM

No it's not. First is always the remote, then remote code, ... eventually IR. Just not first.

LS, I think RR and Hodgey mean checking that the remote is putting out IR using the phone camera trick. Given that takes no effort, why wouldn't you do that first?

PS: "IMPORTANT: Certain iPhoneŽ models and other smartphones won't display the IR light even when the remote is working properly. These devices filter out the IR light. This test is only reliable if you have confirmed with another IR remote that your iPhone or another smartphone can see the IR signal.."

lordsmurf 07-20-2022 01:48 AM

The deck RR was referencing was the VCR IR, not remote IR.
But fair enough.
Eventually you'll check everything.

When I refer to "the remote", I mean
- batteries
- code select
- remote boards
- remote IR sensor

GrantGreat04 08-18-2022 12:32 PM

I've had both VCR's for quite a while, then they both suddenly stopped working with a remote at the same time. I have purchased all the remotes from a different source. Also, I don't have them hooked up at the same time when testing. There is only ever 1 VCR that is plugged in at a time when trying to use a remote. I am quite baffled