Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2022, 07:01 AM
Free Member

Hello Guys,
i need some help to make one of my remote working with one of my JVC HR-S9600.

I have two VCR and three different remote:
  1. LP20465-003 (JVC DVS2 original remote)
  2. 076D0FO010 (got with one S9600)
  3. LP20667-002 (bought from eBay)
20220213_134237.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

The last one is the original remote for the S9600 i believe. I found a seller who has this remote with the S9600 and for him the navigation in menu with the up and down arrow keys working.

I tried mines with every combinations (for both VCR with all three remote) but everytime i could just enter in the menu but couldn't navigate. I can play and stop the tape, so other buttons works well. I would like to set the correction features in the menu.

I don't think that all 3 remotes' these two buttons (up and down arrow) are broken. Just now i disassembled one of them and i could measure Volts at the IR so i think the remotes sending the signals. Maybe both S9600 have the same issue to cannot process these two command but everything else can?

I hope there is some kind of remote programming procedure to make work these two buttons.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2022, 10:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Remotes go bad. And in a pro environment, essentially become consumables, wear out.

That middle remote is for a DVD player, and "also does" (and doesn't) random JVC VCRs and TVs.

Left gold 20465 isn't from DVS2. That predates it by years, and comes with the 9600/9800. The DVS2 had a latter silver version similar to 20465.

Right is MB for many PAL VCRs, but not 100% sure for all VCRs.

20303 is really the only universal MB remote.

It seems the VCR is bad, not any of the remotes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Cortez (02-16-2022)
02-16-2022, 01:24 PM
Free Member

The right one is the exact one my HR-S8600 has. The remotes for combo decks may or may not be compatible depending what deck it came with - my similar looking one (but not the same) for my HR-XVS20 works on other JVCs, while the one for my HR-MX1 vhs/dvd/hdd combo is not compatible with my other JVCs and vice versa (but does work with my DR-MH300 dvd-recorder). Many of the simpler JVC combo decks were made by LG or Orion so not sure if those have compatible remotes either. (All PAL decks)

More likely a VCR issue as LS noted yeah.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-18-2022, 01:13 PM
Free Member

Hello Guys,

i finally resolved the mystery. I talked today with a repair shop member and the guy said that he can navigate in the menu by the up and down arrow keys (HR-S9800, LP20667-004). He mentioned that the remote's display shows VIDEO B. Mine had VIDEO A, so i thought this will be the key to success. So i checked the VCR's instructions how to change from VIDEO A to VIDEO B.

20220218_200437.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

On the page 74 there was some explanation about VIDEO A.
When you first purchase the remote control, or after you have just replaced the batteries, VIDEO A (A code) is selected.

20220218_200419.jpg

Yep this it what happened because i bought this remote from Germany without batteries. The instructions had a reference to page 36 to set the remote control to the Video mode

So i had to hold VCR button for 2 seconds until A on the remote's LCD display started to blinking. After hit number 2 it went from VIDEO A to VIDEO B. Accepted by OK button and the blinking stopped at VIDEO B.

After that the up and down arrow keys started to work.

Deeply inside i felt like this would be a remote programming issue and i was right.

I am super happy now

I hope this will help others too.