digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Leitch Harris X75 software update? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12529-leitch-harris-x75.html)

mikey405 02-13-2022 10:58 AM

Leitch Harris X75 software update?

Hi all.

I was wondering whether I could ask a question regarding my Leitch Harris X75 TBC (etc.) device please. I'm currently using the old girl as a TBC for converting some tapes (VHS mostly but some SVHS and old Philips formats) from composite and Y/C to SDI and then into a Black Magic Decklink Studio card. The TBC seems to work perfectly well and I've been very pleased with the device so far.

Actually, all the above is just background and of no real consequence :) but I was wondering whether anyone knew any way I can upgrade the software version and where I might be able to get hold of a copy of the firmware and the Leitch Harris CCS navigator software. (I'm happy to pay for both but I can't find anywhere on the "Imagine" web site where anything like this is available.)

Currently the software version is V3.2 and although I really have no idea what the latest version is, the instruction manual has all sorts of things shown for the X75 that are not in the device's menu. (Not paid options, but simple things like setting the brightness of the display etc.)

It's really not the end of the world if I can't update the software but I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone could possibly advise.

Many thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike, Solihull, UK.
PS. Okay - Just to prove what an idiot I am - I've subsequently found all the "display" options that I was missing earlier. Not in the normal menu but a "sub-menu" available by pressing the "Option" button. (I'd still like to make sure I'm up-to-date etc. and to be able to use the CCS Navigator though.) :)

latreche34 02-13-2022 08:53 PM

I doubt the firmware will bring any improvement, What port it uses for firmware upgrade, Ethernet or USB 2.0?
Anyway besides its big size and 8bit only those do a great job at converting from VHS, reel to reel and uMatic to digital. There are small size devices available that can do 12bit processing, 10bit output via SDI.

Angies_Husband 02-15-2022 09:02 AM

Agreed, I don't think a FW upgrade would be worth the trouble if you already have it working fine. I also used an X75 as a dedicated TBC and loved it, although I had to replace all the fans because the noise was too much sitting next to my workstation.

In the copy of the manual I have, it is for both the X75/X85, and also has features associated with other optional cards and configurations. Not sure if that is the issue, but there are several different configs, and it's possible that options described in the manual are not available if the card/software add-on is not part of the unit.

JeffMacK 03-10-2022 03:50 AM

Hi all,

I have a Leitch X75 converter with a very old FW 1.8.134. I was wondering if someone has a newer version.
I hope someone can help me further.

Thanks!

Br,
Jeff

latreche34 03-11-2022 05:37 PM

If the manufacturer is not active, your chances are slim to none.

lordsmurf 03-11-2022 05:46 PM

I don't understand why people are trying to use these stodgy "pizza box" broadcast TBCs. This is the wrong tool for any consumer analog source, such as VHS.

It can work, or fail miserably. VHS was not the intended ingest source. Hence reviews going both ways, usually to the negative/downside.

I take a lot of "it works perfectly" comments with extreme skepticism, as I've seen the output, via the work from others. It's really not great. Far too many folks transfer video, without viewing the results. So lots of assumption goes on, usually assuming the video converted without issues. But you have to look deeper. Some of this only becomes obvious after many hours of conversions with viewings, and those "odd errors" become more noticed over time. The same errors.

Yes, cheap, do what you want. But you're been warned. If it was all rainbows and sunshine, we'd all have pizza boxes on our desks. But we don't, for a reason.

eThree 08-26-2023 11:43 AM

I have been using a Harris X75 (also a 575) with great success for many years. They do a perfectly fine job if you have the A3D hardware card installed for composite/s-video/YUV input. They do a couple of things that prosumer TBCs just don't...

1) They convert analog sources to SDI
2) They can do PAL/SECAM or NTSC no problem
3) If installed, their NR option is very, very good
4) You can also feed SDI into it
5) They will upconvert to HD (interlaced only for NTSC), but when combined with a Teranex, they can scale/convert to progressive or further up to 4k

They are not easy to use. They make a lot of fan noise. They use too much power. Their audio inputs are esoteric, and require some wire stripping on standard audio cables (I use TRS 1/4"). You really need a proper analog audio mixer to get consumer recorded tape levels up to snuff. They can be very frustrating for the uninitiated, and render less than stellar results for those folks, so I can see why the disdain. But frankly, I haven't found a more professional solution to take a VHS signal from whatever country, lock it up, convert it to digital and take it to HD resolution (albeit interlaced for NTSC - PAL will do progressive) all in one box. Just be careful to get the right options on it.