Quantcast Leitch Harris X75 software update? - digitalFAQ Forum
02-13-2022, 10:58 AM
Free Member

Hi all.

I was wondering whether I could ask a question regarding my Leitch Harris X75 TBC (etc.) device please. I'm currently using the old girl as a TBC for converting some tapes (VHS mostly but some SVHS and old Philips formats) from composite and Y/C to SDI and then into a Black Magic Decklink Studio card. The TBC seems to work perfectly well and I've been very pleased with the device so far.

Actually, all the above is just background and of no real consequence but I was wondering whether anyone knew any way I can upgrade the software version and where I might be able to get hold of a copy of the firmware and the Leitch Harris CCS navigator software. (I'm happy to pay for both but I can't find anywhere on the "Imagine" web site where anything like this is available.)

Currently the software version is V3.2 and although I really have no idea what the latest version is, the instruction manual has all sorts of things shown for the X75 that are not in the device's menu. (Not paid options, but simple things like setting the brightness of the display etc.)

It's really not the end of the world if I can't update the software but I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone could possibly advise.

Many thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike, Solihull, UK.
PS. Okay - Just to prove what an idiot I am - I've subsequently found all the "display" options that I was missing earlier. Not in the normal menu but a "sub-menu" available by pressing the "Option" button. (I'd still like to make sure I'm up-to-date etc. and to be able to use the CCS Navigator though.)

Last edited by mikey405; 02-13-2022 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spellling
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Free Member

I doubt the firmware will bring any improvement, What port it uses for firmware upgrade, Ethernet or USB 2.0?
Anyway besides its big size and 8bit only those do a great job at converting from VHS, reel to reel and uMatic to digital. There are small size devices available that can do 12bit processing, 10bit output via SDI.

https://www.youtube.com/user/latoak34/videos
02-15-2022, 09:02 AM
Free Member

Agreed, I don't think a FW upgrade would be worth the trouble if you already have it working fine. I also used an X75 as a dedicated TBC and loved it, although I had to replace all the fans because the noise was too much sitting next to my workstation.

In the copy of the manual I have, it is for both the X75/X85, and also has features associated with other optional cards and configurations. Not sure if that is the issue, but there are several different configs, and it's possible that options described in the manual are not available if the card/software add-on is not part of the unit.
03-10-2022, 03:50 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I have a Leitch X75 converter with a very old FW 1.8.134. I was wondering if someone has a newer version.
I hope someone can help me further.

Thanks!

Br,
Jeff
03-11-2022, 05:37 PM
Free Member

If the manufacturer is not active, your chances are slim to none.

https://www.youtube.com/user/latoak34/videos
03-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,870 Posts
I don't understand why people are trying to use these stodgy "pizza box" broadcast TBCs. This is the wrong tool for any consumer analog source, such as VHS.

It can work, or fail miserably. VHS was not the intended ingest source. Hence reviews going both ways, usually to the negative/downside.

I take a lot of "it works perfectly" comments with extreme skepticism, as I've seen the output, via the work from others. It's really not great. Far too many folks transfer video, without viewing the results. So lots of assumption goes on, usually assuming the video converted without issues. But you have to look deeper. Some of this only becomes obvious after many hours of conversions with viewings, and those "odd errors" become more noticed over time. The same errors.

Yes, cheap, do what you want. But you're been warned. If it was all rainbows and sunshine, we'd all have pizza boxes on our desks. But we don't, for a reason.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
harris, leitch, x75