Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-24-2022, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

Hi

I was wondering can one repair the power input of one of these, by removing the input jack from the 100 and solder it in the 300 (and vice-versa)?

From the look of it, they seem similar to me, but I want to double check

Or better yet, instead of killing a device to repair the other, does someone know what to look for exactly if I want to buy a replacement power jack? model/brand? keywords to use?

Thanks!

Last edited by mbassiouny; 02-24-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-24-2022, 07:17 PM
Free Member

If no answer here, try:
https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/converters

Board mounted power jacks and similar pigtail connectors are cheap. The links below is to one type as an example. I do not know if it is the same as on found the ADVC300. You would have to check the precise measurements, both pin and barrel diameters as well as board solder connections.

https://www.amazon.com/COOLM-Female-.../dp/B087C3QZ1B

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32162872869...SABEgKWsvD_BwE

Last edited by dpalomaki; 02-24-2022 at 07:35 PM.
02-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

@dpalomaki Thanks a lot for the forum suggestion!

I totally forgot there is an entire forum for these. It is probably a more appropriate place!

The size should be 4x 1.7mm afaik. I have a replacement adapter and this is what the replacement says.

Thanks for the links, I will check
02-25-2022, 12:17 PM
Free Member

Re: replacement adapters - just note to be aware of.

The ADVC300 OEM power adapter has a 5 vdc, 3 amp rating. Although the ADVC can also be powered by a 6-pin IEEE1394 connection many of those ports do not have sufficient power output capability to do so reliably. (IEEE1394 has a very loose power spec.)

While the ADVC is rated at ~9 watts max, lower amp rated adapters might have enough votage droop under load to cause issues.
02-25-2022, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!

> replacement adapters - just note to be aware of.
I am not using it with the device, it is just that it has same connector so I used that fact to determine the exact diameter/the type of connector since this one had the info written on the box.

Not all of them can be powered via 6pin. 100, 200TV and 300 surely can't. 110 and 55 can. I have to double check for the twinpact 100 (a bit of a more advanced advc-110 that came out in 2011).
The following users thank mbassiouny for this useful post: RobustReviews (02-26-2022)
02-26-2022, 03:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's mostly a dead forum these days, aside from Edius. It's really just the Edius forum now.

When it was active, it was a very fanboyish place. <fingers in ear, la-la-la> "Canopus is bestest ever!!!" But most of them were just defending their purchases, and it had zero to do with actual quality. A lot of people fell for Canopus marketing, such as the TBC that really didn't exist at all (50,55,100,110), or so weak that it did nothing (300). Placebo effect, sadly. It's still a source an misinformation, for that reason.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-26-2022, 04:56 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's mostly a dead forum these days, aside from Edius. It's really just the Edius forum now.

When it was active, it was a very fanboyish place. <fingers in ear, la-la-la> "Canopus is bestest ever!!!" But most of them were just defending their purchases, and it had zero to do with actual quality. A lot of people fell for Canopus marketing, such as the TBC that really didn't exist at all (50,55,100,110), or so weak that it did nothing (300). Placebo effect, sadly. It's still a source an misinformation, for that reason.
We've proven the TBC to be a bit more interesting than that in 300 at least, in 'another place'. It can be quite an effective line TBC with a bit of coaxing. It's very good at some duties, not great at others - but the carp about 'it doesn't do anything' is just as wrong as some of the marketing speil from Cannopus.

The PSU's are different between the models, the barrel connectors are physically different.
02-26-2022, 05:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
When it was active, it was a very fanboyish place.
Yup noticed that a while ago, hahaha.

Quote:
The PSU's are different between the models, the barrel connectors are physically different.
Thanks for the info! Any idea what should I look for exactly to replace a defective power input jack for a 300? Thanks!
02-26-2022, 05:36 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
Thanks for the info! Any idea what should I look for exactly to replace a defective power input jack for a 300? Thanks!
Is it the barrel on the 300 that has failed or the actual PSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Re: replacement adapters - just note to be aware of.

The ADVC300 OEM power adapter has a 5 vdc, 3 amp rating. Although the ADVC can also be powered by a 6-pin IEEE1394 connection many of those ports do not have sufficient power output capability to do so reliably. (IEEE1394 has a very loose power spec.)

While the ADVC is rated at ~9 watts max, lower amp rated adapters might have enough votage droop under load to cause issues.
This is very true, I would heartily recommend running them with a PSU, as said there's a very wide and ill-defined power specification here and they really can be troublesome so-and-sos if they're power-starved.
02-26-2022, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
Is it the barrel on the 300 that has failed or the actual PSU?
Euh... not an expert not sure, but I think not PSU? The thing is, if you rotate the adapter, the device stops receiving power: it is not very unstable, and the device does not stop on its own during capture, or when moved, only when the plugged in adapter is rotated like 180 degrees or more.

It is barely noticeable, you have to really intentionally rotate it to see the problem, does not usually happen during capture. But I still do not like it.

P.S Not an issue with the adapter, tried different adapters, and tried them with several devices.

attached a video (look at bleu light and the fan noise that stops when rotating)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VID_20220226_124034.mp4 (74.00 MB, 1 downloads)
02-26-2022, 08:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
When it was active, it was a very fanboyish place.
That can be said about many if not most vendor (and other) web sites/forums. Ford vs. Chevy, or pick any two religions. People tend to like that with which they are satisfied/comfortable. To each his/her own - the rest can tithe elsewhere .

Quote:
The thing is, if you rotate the adapter, the device stops receiving power:
That could be as simple as a cold or failed solder joint on the PC board at or near the connector. I note that some of those connectors are rated for 5,000 insertions (sounds x-rated ).
02-26-2022, 09:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
It can be quite an effective line TBC with a bit of coaxing.
It's literally the weakest and most pathetic line TBC that I've ever seen. Ever, 30 years experience with VHS (seriously, not including earlier decades when just a typical VCR user). In most cases, it fails to do anything. At best, it starts to do something, then breaks (runs out of RAM?), and again does nothing. Then again, perhaps "nothing" is the wrong term. Because it actually makes the video worse at times.

This was settled years ago, in threads like this:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...or#post2453127

It's only contrarians that try to re-hash and re-argue this every few years. No.

Quote:
most vendor (and other) web sites/forums.
True, true. Not many vendors have forums. I guess strong like the product (even undeserved and wrong) are to be expected.

Quote:
rated for 5,000 insertions (sounds x-rated ).

I don't want to derail this anymore. So ... PSUs!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2022, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

That could be as simple as a cold or failed solder joint on the PC board at or near the connector.
Yes, this was the issue. It has been solved without even needing to replace the power jack. Works fine now!

Thanks all for the input!

P.S: if anyone else encounters this problem it can be solved if you have the tools for it, or give it to any local electronics/PC repair shop, they should be able to do it in less than 1 hour and for a cheap price. like 15-30$ I would guess depending on country and wages there, etc. (guess based on local shops in a couple of places where I lived)

Last edited by mbassiouny; 03-15-2022 at 07:19 PM.