Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Free Member

I have a JVC HM-DH40000U DVHS deck that has gone unused for some time now, but today I attempted to start dumping some old VHS tapes for archiving. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working. First, its slow to respond to anything: the remote doesnt work, and it takes several presses of play/stop/etc to get a response. But more importantly, I do not seem to be getting any video signal from the machine.

On my first attempt, using component output and a standard VHS tape, I did get a picture briefly; it froze and stuttered unlike typical VHS video, and the TV routinely told me that the video mode was not supported. I tried a DVHS tape via component, and got nothing at all. Ive also tried the machine on another TV, composite video, etc, no signal (not even the crappy picture I got before). Also, to clarify, no OSD information is displayed either; so it definitely seems to be a signal output issue rather than an issue with reading the tapes.

Any idea what this issue might be? Is this a known issue or something that might be a relatively easy fix?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

So no video on the composite, S-Video, or component outputs. On a whim, if you have a computer with Firewire, will it output any video (DVHS or analog) that way or are the ports dead? Also, does the display on the front of the VCR work (S/DVHS indicators and the record/play display)?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a problem with the power supply. It could be bad caps, or something else. I posted the service manual in this forum a while back: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...anual-jvc.html
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-12-2015)
04-12-2015, 02:37 AM
Free Member

Yeah, Id like to test out the firewire too, but Im fairly certain I dont have any computers with a firewire port (and even if I did, no other firewire devices, so would be difficult to verify that the firewire-enabled PC was working correctly).

The display does "work", in that its not dead; but Ive only seen it display the parentheses for the clock that isnt set, the "PM" indicator flashing randomly, and the channel number when I started pressing random buttons trying to get a response. Ive not noticed the play or stop indicators light up....only way I can tell that it is playing is listening for it.

Yeah I could potentially replace a whole component such as a power supply, but not sure how comfortable I am with replacing caps and whatnot on boards....especially when I dont even know if they are the actual problem. Will at least open it up and take a look at it tomorrow though, give it a decent dusting too.
05-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Free Member

I have exactly the same problem with my DH4K after it had been unused for a couple of years.
Did you ever get it fixed?
05-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Free Member

I have not, it kinda of went on the backburner. Ive yet to test Firewire, so I have no idea if that might actually work still...kinda seems like it probably wont? I may try to find someone local that wont screw me over on a repair, because this is most likely out of my capabilities.
05-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your response.
I hope you can get it fixed. If not here's another option.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HMDH40000U.../dp/B0000ACY2B
Are they kidding?
06-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
See if one of the places can repair it: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...place-jvc.html
That's what I'd do.
I refuse to mess with changing caps or PSUs. Let the experts do it. Video is my thing, not repairing VCRs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endcontra View Post
I have not, it kinda of went on the backburner. Ive yet to test Firewire, so I have no idea if that might actually work still...kinda seems like it probably wont? I may try to find someone local that wont screw me over on a repair, because this is most likely out of my capabilities.
I guess this is a common occurrence with this machine: I turned mine on for the first time in three months, and all the same problems you described.
Did you ever get this sorted out? When I called JVC about another svhs machine, they gave me a number to an Atlanta repair facility (I'm in California). I can only imagine what the bill would be with shipping.
09-07-2015, 01:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
See if TGrant can repair it.
See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...place-jvc.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Free Member

Time has passed but did anyone ever get to the root of the issue with this? It's something that is occurring on my machine after being off for a lengthy period of time. Thanks.
07-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Free Member

I also have a JVC HM-DH40000U with the same symptoms. I can report some other information (no, I haven't solved the problem). I tried firewire, no output.

Using the Service Manual, I put the unit into Jig RCU mode (hold the Pause and Rec buttons on the unit and unplug and plug it in). From that mode, I still got no video or audio output on any of the possible outputs -- component, s-video and audio/video, as well as firewire. I did confirm that all the tape functions appear to work, it goes into play mode, pauses, stops, fast forwards, and rewind, and loads and ejects the tape.

I also tried to "pass through" the video, plugging video into the inputs both on the front and in back, and running it straight through to the output, no video display.

So, it's something blocking the display -- maybe in timer mode or the machine is sleeping?

It's definitely not capacitors in the power supply, the power supply seems to be working just fine.
11-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Free Member

So lots of life changes and whatnot led to me forgetting about this other than in passing for a long time...Finally decided to address this again, Googled the issue, and thought "oh hey, heres someone with the same problem as me!"....oh, wait....

So the one thing I have tried since this original post was Firewire. I have an old Mac with a firewire port, and it worked flawlessly capturing from an old DV camera. Then I hooked up the D-VHS player to the Mac...no go of course. From what I can tell, I need to setup Firewire on the VCR to get it to work, which is impossible since I cant see the onscreen display due to no video output.
Ive also hooked it up to another TV and tried all of the connections there as well: composite, component, antenna, no go on any of them.

I feel like repair of this is going to cost me way more than I want to spend (especially with shipping there and back since I doubt Ill find anyone locally). I only have one D-VHS tape Id like to archive (everything else is standard VHS), so I really just need a well functioning VCR, although theoretically a Firewire option may give me much better captures, which is probably the main reason I havent shut the door on this option already.
11-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Free Member

This is an indication of a power section failure, Get a service manual and check all the voltages coming out the power section, also check for leaky, bulged capacitors in the power section.
05-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Free Member

Actually it’s not a power failure issue. It is a failure of the entire digital board (even replacing caps doesn’t work) that handles the MPEG-2 encoding/decoding. Every thing from analog VHS & S-VHS playback/record to the D-VHS playback/record is run through the MPEG-2 board. And when that fails, the rest of the machine still works but you have no picture and sound. And the way JVC designed the deck you can’t separate the analog from the digital to turn the VCR into a S-VHS deck. And as of 2022 replacement boards are no longer available.

Tags
dvhs, jvc, no signal