digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-5710 ribbon cable 9pin replacement? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12770-panasonic-ag-5710-a.html)

FishonDavid 05-13-2022 10:29 AM

Panasonic AG-5710 ribbon cable 9pin replacement?

3 Attachment(s)
if anyone knows a good source to purchase this 9 pin ribbon cable , please reply on this thread,
i can not go any further on this restoration/repair until i can buy this ribbon from somewhere,
ive included a few photos, i see the wording AWM 2896 80C VW-I SUMITOMO, but thats all i can tell you, if anyone knows where this ribbon can be purchased, i would really appreciate it
David

BW37 05-13-2022 12:57 PM

Check out Mouser and Digi-Key or similar electronics supply houses. They sell generic "flat cable" in all kinds of lengths, pitches, etc.

It will take some research to understand exactly what you need and how to specify it, but they might well have it.

BW

timtape 05-13-2022 04:36 PM

I hope you can find the right ribbon cable. I had the problem on my Pana svhs VCR. I had assumed a problem in the VCR was failing electrolytics underneath a swing out PCB. But the real problem was much swinging out of the PCB to test components which had caused the ribbon cable to fracture right where it entered the socket. The design problem seems to have been failure to prevent the cable conductors stressing at their weakest point just where the ribbon foils enter the socket. In this case I replaced the ribbon cable with individual insulated wires. The fatiguing in your case wouldnt be so bad as I assume its not a stress point as with a swing out PCB, so unlikely to fail again.

FishonDavid 05-13-2022 05:02 PM

thank you timtape for your insight on this issue, ive watch a couple of youtube videos on how to remove the blue support tab, then cut the cable a bit shorter, (ive got alot of extra in my length) and strip back the shielding, using heat and a razor blade, and then reattaching the support tab with glue, to just have a new clean end.. i might give that a try , if i cant find a replacement, another suggestion was to find a cable with more conductors, eg: 14+ and just cut it, to the correct 9pin i need.. plan "c"

Tester 05-13-2022 07:46 PM

FWIW, I've successfully replaced quite a few of these 'Sumitomo' flat cables, which don't seem to age too well, with more-or-less-generic parts from Aliexpress (no affiliation).

Frequently listed as "FPC/FFC AWM 20624 80C VW-1", they work. Just make sure you order them with 1.25 mm pitch... and, of course, the correct number of pins, length and orientation.

FishonDavid 05-13-2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tester (Post 84761)
FWIW, I've successfully replaced quite a few of these 'Sumitomo' flat cables, also commonly found on late JVC/Philips hi-end VCRs, with more-or-less-generic parts from Aliexpress (no affiliation).

Frequently listed as "FPC/FFC AWM 20624 80C VW-1", they work. Just make sure you order them with 1.25 mm pitch... and, of course, the correct number of pins, length and orientation.

Great, good to know, im a bit reluctant to buy from AliExpress, their prices seem just "too good to be true" but if you recommend them, i will give them a search!! , thank you !!!

FishonDavid 05-13-2022 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the closest flat cable i could find, its 9pin, its 300mm (perfect) but its only 1.0mm pitch, not the 1.25 your mentioned, i dont even understand the "pitch" and how it effects the flat cable, could you explain, if this will work for me?

BW37 05-13-2022 08:47 PM

Pitch is the spacing of the conductors across the width of the cable. So no, 1.0mm pitch will not work. The conductors won't connect properly to the contacts. You'll need to match the pitch of the existing cable.

FishonDavid 05-13-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BW37 (Post 84764)
Pitch is the spacing of the conductors across the width of the cable. So no, 1.0mm pitch will not work. The conductors won't connect properly to the contacts. You'll need to match the pitch of the existing cable.

Okay, that is clear to me, the spacing between contacts, must be 1.25 mm, thank you , im learning a little more each day, if i cant find a 9pin, 1.25mm pitch, ill search for flat cable with more conductors, and just cut the width to be a 9pin, !!, very helpful, i appreciate all the help!! thank you BW37

BW37 05-13-2022 10:41 PM

Check these out.

The top 7 are available in qty. 1, the rest only in bulk, all but the 8 conductor option should be usable by careful slitting between the conductors. The 32 conductor item would give you three chances to get it right :wink2: Check out the datasheet(s) to be sure it is what you need.

BW

Tester 05-14-2022 04:55 AM

Alternatively, these ones I've purchased myself.
Your cable (9 pin, 1.25mm pitch, type A) is available from both those sellers in several lengths, for example. (Again, no affiliation!)

FishonDavid 05-14-2022 08:57 AM

I just have to say, im very grateful and encouraged with all the information i have received from these knowledgeable members, ive ordered the 32 pin flat cable and will then move on to my next hurdle on this Panasonic as soon as it presents itself. Thanks!!!

FishonDavid 05-14-2022 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tester (Post 84767)
Alternatively, these ones I've purchased myself.
Your cable (9 pin, 1.25mm pitch, type A) is available from both those sellers in several lengths, for example. (Again, no affiliation!)

Thanks Tester, ill save this link also,(for future reference) but the lead time of Jul 15 for this project, is to long this time, but hopefully someone else will read this thread , and not be in such a time restraint as i am on this 1st VCR project as i am.
David