digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   New Drum or Drum Overhaul for Panasonic NV-HS1000 (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/12776-drum-drum-overhaul.html)

cafecafe 05-18-2022 08:40 AM

New Drum or Drum Overhaul for Panasonic NV-HS1000

Hello,

I’m looking for a new upper drum (VEH0651 or VXP1747) or alternatively a whole drum unit for my HS1000. It’s an HS1000EG but I also have an HS1000EGC for parts, so both spares would work.

The VEH0651 upper drum is still available from globalmediapro and ksp-electronics, but Quasipal says these drums are no good and don’t have the green amorphous heads.

Somewhere I read (can’t find it anymore) that some repairman used to overhaul the upper drum by replacing the video and audio heads themselves — also very likely hardly any spares left and quite expensive, but if that would be an option, let me know please!

Thanks

latreche34 05-18-2022 09:38 AM

In this point of time looking for a different VCR is much easier than looking for parts.

RobustReviews 05-19-2022 10:47 AM

Agree, I would look for a good working example and keep that one for spares.

Replacing the head chips themselves can be done but there's a reason there was assembly replacement here, the alignment needs to be exquisite.

For the costs involved, a decent working machine is, unfortunately, the way to go. Trying to replace the heads (especially if the parts aren't ideal) might open your wallet to a nasty experience.

Lower drum refinishing works well and is often overlooked as a preventative maintenance procedure for issues, but the upper drum and heads are best just exhanged or binned.

hodgey 05-19-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafecafe (Post 84823)
The VEH0651 upper drum is still available from globalmediapro and ksp-electronics, but Quasipal says these drums are no good and don’t have the green amorphous heads.

Does they mean the ones sold there specifically? I believe both revisions of the NV-HS1000 advertise having amorphous heads.

There is some degree of interchangeability between models here too, as noted in some other threads, I've successfully used the head assembly from a AG-5700 (which had the same drum as the NV-FS88 and FS200) in a NV-HS1000, and vice versa. (Swapping only the upper drum may not work between different ones.)

It's possible other swaps from models using the same head assembly/drum setup would work too but I haven't tested.

cafecafe 05-20-2022 07:12 AM

Yes, to my knowledge all versions of the HS1000 / AG-4700 originally came with the amorphous heads.

Contrary to this, the spare upper drums now still being sold merely have ferrite heads and also do not work very well according to Quasipal. I find it very misleading and deceiving that these replacement parts are apparently of inferior quality despite being labeled as original Panasonic parts and sharing identical part numbers.