05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Does anyone have an owner's manual for the Elite Video Super Duper V/A Distribution Amplifier? (Hopefully a pdf file.) Specifically I am trying to learn what/how the LLC, RP and Configuration switches function. Any guidence is appreciated.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Free Member

I have found out the RP switch is "Resolution Processor" and is used to slightly sharpen the output video image. LLC is "Line Loss Compensator" and is intended to be used if the duplicators are more than 100 feet from the SD unit. It slightly amplifies the video signal.
I'm still puzzled by what the 8 DIP "Configuration Switches" are for. The SD will only pass a video signal if switch #1 is on but I cannot tell what effect the other 7 switches have. I suspect you can configure the SD to work with PAL and other video formats via these switches. The SD-11 (and maybe the SD-3) model distribution amplifier has the same switches. Anyone have a manual for a SD-11?
06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Can you take some good photos of the unit? Front and back, at minimum.
That may help.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Free Member

Yes, I'll try to do that today. In the meantime, there is a SD-11 model on Ebay right now that has the same switches with a couple of pictures but they are very small:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360370532315&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Here are some pictures of the Super Duper distribution amp. The only switch on the front is the on/off switch.

Any info on the configuration switches is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8637.JPG (82.8 KB, 15 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_8645.jpg (37.0 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_8649.jpg (39.5 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_8648.JPG (76.0 KB, 5 downloads)
06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You need to do what I'm doing right now -- dig through the Wayback machine for the old Elite Video site. There's a gold mine of data there. I've yet to come across anything for this specific manual, but I've been printing many old pages to PDF this morning, and it's amazing how much good content was just dumped by Elite at some point in the past 5-6 years. (Not that it's all perfect -- I did read some screwy advice, but still overall great site articles.)

You may very well come across help on this box.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Wagonmaster91 (06-10-2011)
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the great suggestion, Kpmedia. I didn't know about the Wayback machine project. So far, I was able to find info on the SD-11 there but still no explanation on the configuration switches. I'll keep digging in those archives.

I exchanged a few emails with the current Elite Video staff and they gave me the info about the RP and LLC switches, but even they didn't know what the configuration switches do.
06-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

It doesn't really help here, but here's a possibly-interesting read on the SD-3, the SD-11 predecessor:

Quote:
Ten Copies at Once, SD-3 Duplication Station ($599)
Elite Video, 321 Ouachita Ave., Hot Springs, AR 71901, (501) 321-0440, http://www.elitevideo.com

What's a videographer to do when everyone wants a copy of his or her latest video project? Worse yet, what if you're a wedding videographer, and everyone from the parents of the bride to the fifth cousin of the groom wants his own copy of the wedding video? In situations like these, you can either set aside a few workdays to make the copies one at a time, or you can use a device like Elite Video's SD-3 duplication station and finish the job in a few hours.

In essence, the Elite Video SD-3 is a distribution amplifier. What's a distribution amplifier? It's a device that streamlines the task of making multiple copies of a video or audio tape. The amplifier portion of its name comes from the fact that whenever you split a single video and/or audio signal into multiple outputs, it's necessary to boost (amplify) each individual output to a level that your recording equipment can process without difficulty.

In practice, the SD-3 turns out to be much more than just a distribution amplifier. It incorporates a number of features that were developed in other Elite Video products (the BVP-4 Broadcast Video Processor, especially). Owing primarily to Elite Video's prior experience in the video enhancer/proc amp market, the SD-3 incorporates features like a robust 72dB video signal-to-noise ratio and RTX resolution enhancement.

Along the front of the SD-3's rugged metal frame is a series of switches. The RTX Resolution Enhancer's purpose, as stated in the product documentation, is to massage the video signal as it passes through the SD-3 in such a way as to make copies come out with greater resolution than the original. If this sounds fishy to you, then give yourself a pat on the back, because it's theoretically impossible to increase the resolution of a video signal once it's recorded onto tape. Even so, the RTX Resolution Enhancer does serve to increase the apparent clarity of some types of video images by pulling the resolution already present in the signal out of the electronic noise that threatens to swamp it. We don't recommend using it for every project you're copying, but if you keep a sharp eye on what it's doing to your signal, it can produce some impressive results - especially with footage shot on a poor-quality VHS or 8mm camcorder.

Next is the Long Lines Compensator (LLC), which simply boosts the output of the signal by a few percentage points in order to make up for long cable throws (12 feet or more). Like all of the other features on the SD-3, the LLC control is best left switched off unless you really need it, because it significantly increases the amount of noise present in the signal.

The Black Burst switch has two functions. The most common use is to lay down a black signal on as many as ten tapes at once in order to prepare them for duplication. The second use is listed in the manual as the ability to "provide a black burst signal for your entire video system with no looping." This is something of a joke, as any video system that required a black burst signal to synchronize a number of cameras and/or decks would probably exist only in a market several rungs above that of the SD-3.

The last two switches on the SD-3 are provided as a way to alert you with an audible alarm if your copying system encounters problems. One switch enables the alarm, and the other determines which condition must be met before the alarm is tripped - either loss of sync (no signal) or uniform field sync (representing the blue screen that many VCRs display when a tape is finished playing).

Inputs on the SD-3 include one RCA-style composite video connector, one S-video connector and a set of standard stereo audio connectors. Outputs include ten sets of composite video and stereo audio connectors, but curiously, the S-video connections were omitted on the output side. This is perhaps the SD-3's biggest drawback. There might be some benefit to using an S-video input to help with the SD-3's resolution enhancement, but when it comes time to make straight, unenhanced copies, the lack of S-video connections on the output side all but defeats the purpose of including one on the input side.

Copies made by the SD-3 come out looking crisp and clean, with audio and video intact. The location of all controls is convenient, and the placement of inputs and outputs is logical and easily accessible. For those who need even more outputs for more copies at a time, the SD-3 includes a Super Link Configuration option, which allows you to hook as many as ten SD-3 Duplication Stations together without significantly degrading the quality of the output. In general, we found the SD-3 Duplication Station to be an excellent product, keeping Elite Video's track record for quality merchandise. The lack of S-video outputs is a serious concern, but still, the quality of the copies it makes is easily good enough for the prosumer marketplace.

Elite Video SD-3 Duplication Station
Inputs - S-video, composite video, stereo audio
Outputs - Composite video, stereo audio (x10)
Video signal-to-noise ratio - 72dB
Audio signal-to-noise ratio - 68dB
Features - RTX Resolution Enhancement, Long Lines Compensation, Black Burst Generator, Loss of Sync Alarm, Super Link Configuration
Strengths - Robust S/N ratio, Easy to expand outputs using Super Link Configuration
Weaknesses - No S-video output
Summary - A good low-cost distribution amplifier with some ex
It's a shame that Elite Video got out of the processor business. It's even worse than their old site was not archived on-site. While the Wayback Machine is good about archiving sites, it's often full of holes. Hopefully you'll come across a PDF manual of some kind. Then again, based on the recently post BVP-4 manual, which shows how cheap Elite was, I doubt it.

Happy hunting, all the same. I hope you find something useful.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Wagonmaster91 (06-11-2011)