Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Most discs are rated for one maximum speed (and indeed, are calibrated to work best at this speed). In practice, you're better off burning at a half or full speed under that. For 16x discs, 12x or 8x burns are best.

Under tests, you'll see burning too slow can be just as bad as burning above the rating (18x-24x, for example, with 16x discs). A disc has to remain relatively flat as the laser writes data in a narrow groove. If the disc cannot spin flat enough at any speed -- be it too fast, or too slow --then the data write is poor. It can range from pure coasters, to some errors, to heavy reliance on error correction.

But Verbatim discs are rated for the full range of 1x-16x, and the discs often test well at all incremental speeds.

Other brands have started to mock this (like TDK-branded RITEKF1 DVD-R), but I'd suggest you test them thoroughly. The odds of good burns are all speeds are not in that disc's favor, being a Ritek blank. That brand/manufacture of disc often rates as mediocre in various tests and reviews online (including the review on this site), performing both well and miserable. Personally, I would not trust a RITEKF1 burned slower than 8x.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Free Member

You are a little over my head this time...are you saying that 8x being wrote at 8x is not as good as 16x being wrote at 8x?

It is fairly obvious that my unit won't do 16x so 8x is what I am going to have to use...I certainly hope those nexXtech are not the only disk this unit will read and write to???

As mentioned above this unit looks brand new inside, either it's not been used much or repaired and they cleaned it nicely, there looks to be writing on the boards from a felt tip marker, don't know if you can see this in the photo, is this factory or has it been repaired and maybe it has a disk reading problem?
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM

Yes, 8x media burned at 8x speed can be of lower quality than 16x media burned at 8x. To some people this sounds crazy, but it's a complex issue of physics, media design and drive firmware.

The term "quality" also refers to the amount of bad discs you'll burn. It does not mean the quality of content will be degraded, or anything like that. If the burn is good, it's good. but you'll get more bad discs on 8x@8x than you will with 16x@8x.

The JVC recorder writes with slower-than-1x packet style writing anyway.

I'll have to look inside my own DR-M10 to compare, but unfortunately I can't do that right now -- not for several weeks, at least. It's being used daily right now. It would be hard to tell anyway, if yours has been opened. If there is zero dust inside a 5-6 year old unit, I have a feeling it's been opened at least once.

03-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Free Member

I feel it's just not been used, came in the original box and remote looked to have never been opened, you can tell that piece of tape and bag was in perfect shape and when it is on it has that new electronics burning in smell, so I wonder why it won't do any 16??

I bought this to do the vhs to dvd transfer, will I get a better recording using the JVC with 8x than using the samsung R-120 using 16x?
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

It's back to the recording modes. If you do 1-hour XP mode transfers, both machines should work fine. 2-hour has more compression. The JVC has the FR180 3-hour mode, and I think you said the Samsung lacks a 3-hour option. The 4-hour mode looks the same as SP 2-hour mode, maybe a shade lower in quality. It's also compressed.

03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Free Member

Is the FR 180 mode the timer recording or is there real 180 mode where you can pause it, etc? I can do a timer 180 on the samsung, but you can't pause and I haven't been able to play with the JVC yet thanks to the read problem...
And wouldn't the instant timer at 30min intervals accomplish the same thing?
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

All of the flex recording (FR) options are available both in manual recordings and timer recordings. The FR is available in 5 minute increments, from 60-240.

I generally use FR185 (few minutes extra, just in case).

If I know the video is under 3 hours, I use FR175. This is a great setting for most VHS to DVD, if the source is not perfect SP mode.

I only use FR60-FR90 if the input is SP mode VHS in perfect quality -AND- I'm using artificial sharpening from either the Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR or the SignVideo DR-1000 detailer unit.