digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Liteon problems, trying to update the firmware (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/2382-liteon-problems-update.html)

Dealcatcher 08-22-2010 11:35 PM

Liteon problems, trying to update the firmware

I am trying to update the firmware, but even after I finally found the firmware update, and burned it into a CD and DVD, I can't get the machine to process the update. I keep putting the disc in the machine, and it keeps spitting it out. I even tried holding the CD in, and it just says Data file, and does nothing. Please tell me how to get the machine to process the firmware update. Thanks in advance

Dealcatcher 08-22-2010 11:38 PM

I am trying to update the firmware, but even after I finally found the firmware update, and burned it into a CD and DVD, I can't get the machine to process the update. I keep putting the disc in the machine, and it keeps spitting it out. I even tried holding the CD in, and it just says Data file, and does nothing. Please tell me how to get the machine to process the firmware update. Thanks in advance

admin 08-23-2010 12:02 AM

Hi, welcome to the site.

All available information is already on the site. You might want to search through past threads on the topic, including the firmware download posts. We've mostly just archived available information, and are not firmware hackers ourselves. In fact, most of the original firmware hackers seem to have disappeared from the Internet. Lack of interest, I imagine.

Three guesses:
  1. Maybe your machine has a newer firmware than the one you're trying to use. In that situation, upgrade may not be possible.
  2. It could also be a bad disc (bad burn) or corrupt file.
  3. And then there's always the case of having the disc burned with the wrong method. I don't recall all the instructions off hand, but I believe it needs to be a strict ISO burn, with no Joliet or expanded ISO settings. So double-check all of that. This might require using burning software that is not an "automatic" 1-click program, and manually adjusting all settings. Consider using ImgBurn, although Nero can work, too.

And good luck. :)

NOTE: You only need to make one new post per topic, there's no need to bump several older posts. Thanks.

GaryG 09-14-2011 08:41 AM

If you have it could you send it me, and I will give it a try. stretch_1950@yahoo.com.
I have put out a request for new copies of the firmware and if I get it I can send you the newer copy.

admin 09-14-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 17290)
I have put out a request for new copies of the firmware and if I get it I can send you the newer copy.

Because of your posts today, I went ahead and did some things that I had been putting off for months:
None of that may help directly, but it does further the community. I'd been sitting on these archives for a while now.

One thing that I keep considering is the "un-hacking" of a hacked firmware. The 5005 procedure is documented online in various forums, and I believe it's here on digitalFAQ.com/forum, too. Yes, I realize that sounds somewhat silly to not know what's on the site I work for, but you have to understand this would be content from 5-7 years ago now (2004-2006 timeframe).

It makes sense (at least to my head) that you could take a hacked firmware, and then reverse the steps, in order to arrive at an un-hacked "virgin" version. Why you want the unhacked version, I don't know. I thought the USA 5005 hacked firmwares were on this site, attached to one of the dozens of posts (spread across a few threads) that has attached firmware files.

You can't use one of the "hacker tools", but you can do it with a hex editor. That's how we did it in the old days, before MrWizard made his nifty program.

See if anything that was posted today helps you. :)

Oh ... and welcome to the site. :thumb:

admin 09-14-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dealcatcher (Post 12422)

As an update to this post, there were some specific models, on some specific firmware versions, which required the disc have a specific name. For example, "Mediatek" had to be the name of the disc (the disc label when burned) for at least one picky model.

I came across that info today, while uploading all the archived content. Stuff I'd not read in many years.