Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Free Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have the JVC DR-MX1S - vhs/hard drive/dvd recorder. It's way past it's warranty. About a week or so ago I put in a dvd that I created and the machine not only didn't acknowledge that there was a dvd in it, but I hear a clicking noise. I tried putting in a store bought DVD and the same clicking noise happened. The hard drive, which I use EVERY SINGLE day has no problem nor does the VHS part. I REALLY love this machine so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thank you in advance!

JDiane
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The DVD drive just needs to be replaced. It's a specific model of LG drive inside of these JVC DVD recorders. Open the unit, read the model number, and then head to eBay.com to see if one is available. You won't find a new drive that works, so don't even bother. You'll need to find a pre-owned LG drives for it. This DVD recorder is worth repairing, so don't give up on it. It may take a little bit of time to find the drive, checking 1-2 times per week, but eventually you'll get what you need for it.

(If you do decide to give up on the unit, post it for sale on this site's marketplace forum. Somebody will want it.)

This could probably be used for parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DR-MV5S-...item27bf050a0f
$60 on eBay.

This one is $20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DR-M10S-...item20bd931d4b
It has a bad power supply, but no mention of the DVD burner being bad! It may be fine.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Free Member

I have the same unit. Several weeks ago it stopped recognizing DVD's. It will still play audio CD's. I have seen other statements that separate LED's are used for CD and DVD. I went through the lens cleaning procedure given on this web site, and only see one lens, unless both LED's use the same lens. Didn't help.

I went to the JVC "store" online and found a 'DVD drive kit' for this unit for $150. I knew that the model drive I had was discontinued, but I ordered it anyway, hoping it wouldn't be too difficult to swap it out. My mistake. The kit consisted of a DVD drive, new mounting bracket, and numerous other caps, cables, etc. No info on how to install any of it. I contacted JVC parts department (customer service), and was told I needed the service manual. I found one online for this unit, but it does not include any upgrade/replacement info.

If anyone has anything that might help me, I would sure appreciate it, else I'll have to try to return it. Really would like to get this fixed without sending it in to JVC service, this unit has been very versatile. I can't find anything else that can do all this can for a reasonable price.
12-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongm View Post
If anyone has anything that might help
Let's continue this conversation in your other post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home...s-stopped.html

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.