Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

For repairing Panasonic professional S-VHS VCRs...

Edit -- Admin Note: You must be logged in to download files. If you're not already a member, then register now as a Free Member.
Or better yet, upgrade to a Premium Member status to support the community and get access to exclusive emails, newsletters and site content.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: berkfaq (12-07-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Free Member

KPMedia,
Thanks. Hopefully the info in the service manuals will help in restoring the operation of my AG-1980, since it just loads and then ejects any tape I insert.
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Free Member

Mine 1980 is doing the same.. any luck fixing it?
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Sometimes having a repair manual still is not enough information to fix a VCR. You'll likely need parts and some experience with repair. The service manuals may only help you in finding out what's wrong -- not in fixing the problem. In fact, sometimes a DIY job will just risk breaking the unit even more, as VCR internals can be quite delicate, brittle or flimsy!

Where are you located? If in the USA, then considered sending it to a reliable repair shop. All of our equipment is serviced by Jots Electronics in the Dallas, Texas metro. I'd say the average total cost (repair, cleaning, shipping) of the AG-1980P units is about $300. But these are pro decks, and very much worth it. If this is equipment used for a business, just invest in the pro repair work.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Free Member

Worked on vcrs as a kid growing up. Took this one apart and checked out everything. Really aligned and adjusted a few things and tried different positions of the mode switch. Oddly it wasn't aligned correctly but the correct position didn't solve the problem.
I put the unit into service mode. No error codes. Restarted machine and Viola. All was well. Go figure!
03-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post
I put the unit into service mode. No error codes. Restarted machine and Viola. All was well. Go figure!
How funny! Maybe it just wanted some attention?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
How funny! Maybe it just wanted some attention?
Lol.. maybe! i went through all the service modes spending some extra time with 7. Making the tape go in and out.. maybe it just cleared something out..