Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Free Member

Hello

I have just bought a VC BR-S622E PAL S-VHS VTR Professional unit. It has a BNC out as well as a unique female S-Video output. Unlike the usual 7-pin S-Video config- this one looks like this-

|
|

Note: The twist lock ears on the outer shell denoted by a |.
* denote pin holes

The manual on-line for the JVC BR-S622E PAL S-VHS VTR lists these two items- VC-G2030U and VC-G2050U. They are a S-Video cable -male 4 pin (domestic and common) to the unique 7-pin configuration (listed above).

I'd love to track down these cables and purchase or at least find out somewhere that I can pay for such a cable to be made.

My final destination is FCP MAC. I am using a TBC (ADVC-55) that inputs S-VHS and exports FW400. I was thinking that coming out of the 7-pin SVHS- Video output would be the best, but if you have any other suggestions/solutions on how to get the best video image into my MAC I'd love to hear them.

Thanks all from Sydney, Australia.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This is a rare instance where I'll quote Wikipedia (because it's actually accurate):
Quote:
This is a non standard 7-pin mini-DIN connectors (this variant is called "7P"). These are used on computer equipment (PCs). A 7-pin socket accepts and is pin compatible with standard 4-pin S-Video plug.[6] The three extra sockets may be used to supply composite (CVBS) or an RGB or YPbPr video signal, or an I²C interface. The pin out usage varies between manufacturers.[6] In some implementations, the remaining pin needs to be grounded to enable the composite output (or disable the S-Video output on some of those implementations).
Have you tried using a 4-pin connector yet?

Also ...

The Canopus ADVC55 is NOT a timebase corrector! (TBC)
In fact, it has zero functionality for correcting signal timing like a TBC does. That's a myth about Canopus ADVC products.
It's just a DV converter, nothing more.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs