Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Try CD-R, and not CD-RW. Sometimes that can make a difference, too.

The other option is to make your discs region-free. Making players region-free isn't really necessary.
Read this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home...s-regions.html
Simply create region-free DVD copies.

That would work fine, too!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-26-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Free Member

Also works on LG HT353Sd-D0 DVD Receiver Home cinema.
Hope this helps somebody else.
Thanks
The following users thank jayanti for this useful post: kpmedia (10-03-2010), mlongue1 (01-26-2011)
12-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Free Member

so i used a Verbatim CD-R on my LG HT503PH and still no succes
12-13-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_v View Post
so i used a Verbatim CD-R on my LG HT503PH and still no succes
Standard advice applies: Re-read instructions, go slowly, try to make another disc. Sometimes firmware hacking doesn't work on the first try, for whatever reason. (Often user error, for which I freely admit to being guilty of from time to time --it happens to everybody.) So just give it another go, and see what happens.

Don't burn the CD at "max" speed, for example. Use 16x or 24x burning speed instead.

Best wishes.

12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Worked when i followed the instructions on post 4 of this http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...g-ht503th.html

Quote:
Here is the file which makes the LG HT503TH region free.
Please follow these steps:
  1. Download the firmware file
  2. Unzip the file. You will notice RMTM0000/SCARLET/kpjc19_1.dvd which is 4 bytes big. Not much.
  3. Burn the folders and file to a CD-R. I used InfraRecorder for burning the CDR which is GNU, small and great! The how-to file said it must be burned in a special way. I disabled "Use Joliet file name extension" in Project Properties->ISO and finalized/fixated the CD. Everything else was set to default.
  4. Eject the DVD player, place the CD-R and press the power button. This will power off the DVD player and insert the CDR. Now press the power button again, and the DVD player will turn on and read the CDR.
  5. A very simple menu will appear showing two lines. The first one is for you to enter which region to use, and the second line is the current selected region. My current was 2, which is Europe. Press 0 and enter, which means all regions/ region free .
  6. Done!
The following users thank steven_v for this useful post: admin (12-13-2011), LGHack (12-24-2014)
12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. I've copied the instructions to your post, as well as added an edited version to the first post of this thread. That will hopefully help others in using this hacked firmware. I bet the issue was in your choice of burning software, or adherence to strict ISO standards, if you were not already doing that. Back when this was written, most burning software came defaulted as ISO/Joliet writing, but these days most apps come with UDF or UDF/ISO bridge default settings.

01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Free Member

Hi there, i'm a newbie to this site so please bear with me.... I've found another way to unlock the region code, and it requires no download or disc burning.
Firstly have your tv on and set so you can view the dvd player and be sure not to have a disk in there already.
Switch off the machine with the button on the machine.... NOT THE REMOTE.... And then unplug from the wall.
Wait long enough for the power led light to go out, 10 seconds or so.
Plug the machine back into the mains power supply and turn on the machine with the button on the machine...NOT THE REMOTE..
When powered up open the disk tray and then press 0 0 0 0 on the remote (zero 4 times) and you should get a menu on screen. Press 0 until the numbers are changed and then shut down the machine and then turn back on. Presto you should have a region free player.
Hope this helps as i spent 4 hrs trying the download way and all it took was the pressing of a few buttons
The following users thank neilgo0 for this useful post: djguiche (01-28-2012), kpmedia (01-02-2012)
01-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Welcome to the site!

Thanks very much for adding this tip. That's an excellent bit of information to know. I'll edit the first post on this thread, to add this tip. If you can "hack" a DVD player/recorder without altering the firmware, then it's always suggested to do so. Remote "hacks" are just discovering menus not intended for public use. Great find.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgo0 View Post
I've found another way to unlock the region code, and it requires no download or disc burning.
IT WORKS FOR HT503SH!!!! Thanks a lot
The following users thank djguiche for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-01-2012)
07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Free Member

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This worked like an absolute charm! (Burning the folder 'RMTM0000' to a CD-R) My old multi-region DVD player gave up the ghost recently, and I thought I'd have to replace all my Region 1 American imports (The horror ). My LG HT554PH and I are deeply grateful. x x x x x
The following users thank Cyborganna for this useful post: kpmedia (07-12-2012)
07-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

@djguiche:Thanks for letting us know the firmware hack works on the LG HT503SH.

@Cyborganna: Glad to hear it works for you.

Note: If the player does ever actually die on you, region "protection" (prevention) is not the end of the world.
If you copy a DVD to DVD-R, most rippers (DVD Decrypter, DVDFab Decrypter, AnyDVD) will remove the nonsense region data.
The new copy will play fine on any PAL DVD player, because PAL DVD players all play region-free NTSC (as the psuedo-format PAL60).

I have players that refuse to play R2 and R4 DVDs, but will play region-free PAL discs perfectly fine.
Therefore I have to copy the DVD, and watch the copy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Free Member

Just fully switched off my player for a test ~ & when I switched it back on it wouldn't play region 1, eek!

Issue fixed!

I applied a software update that must have reset my player settings. I've just reinstalled 'RMTM0000' and all's now tickety-boo.

Last edited by Cyborganna; 07-12-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: FIXED x
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Free Member

I have an lg DR787T which I was able to make region free a few years ago. All of a sudden it is not region free anymore and the lg5000 hack does not work anymore. It will not even read the disk. just tries to identify the disk and then after about 30 seconds says "can't identify disk" Tried different disks and burning software no luck.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
09-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Free Member

I know this is 4 years ago, but I just got my JVC to work. It is now region free. I used Imgburn to make the discand I can give you step by step directions on what I did if you need them.
12-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Free Member

Thanks for this advice. Used it on my LG HT503TH DVD player that was set on region 4 (Australia). First disc I burned did not work. Then tried it again with the Joliet thing turned off. Worked fine then. A little slow reading the disc .. you have to be patient and follow the instructions exactly. Now I can play all my USA bought DVD's .. Yay!

Cheers Mike
12-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Free Member

Thanks, this works also with the LG DP542H.
I burned the files using CDBurnerXP onto a CD-RW and all worked perfectly.
07-08-2018, 04:51 AM
Free Member

Finally, after downloading the supplied file directory I got this to work. I had to first burn the file directory as an iso file to my harddrive - getting two disk image files as a result - and then pick the correct one to burn to a CD. I selected the larger file and finally, after may failed attempts, it worked.

Thanks a lot. I now have a region free player.