Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

In the picture, these are the gears that get jammed or break, sometimes WD-40 helps (that is what I use) or the method described in this post.

When they are broken or damaged, just about impossible to have the machine work. The unit goes in to auto loading or shuts off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (73.3 KB, 108 downloads)
The following users thank deter for this useful post: talonhead (01-05-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the info deter.

I'm going to take the machine in to highly known local facility to see what they say about it. It *might* be worth to fix it as like yourself said, the best playing machine I have seen. But I do have my monetary limits.

Once the machine powers up, I'm sure I can have the machine spring back to life once again by wiggling those black gears. They look fine, but if they need replacing, I'm done. Either that, or find a parts machine and swap out the DD...or maybe even bypass it like some folks do and install a static one.

But first things first...have the thing power up. And this all started because the OP had said to press the power button on the remote for 7 seconds. Once I did that to try to fix the "3 second power off" issue, it went to hell in a handbasket.
01-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Never trash JVCs. Quite a few parts are compatible across multiple deck models, even PAL/NTSC, unlike Panasonic. My attic is a JVC graveyard for this reason. Every now and then, I retrieve a box for myself or somebody else.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Free Member

THat's what I thought. I never trash any electronics myself. I just never did stock pile VHS machines.

If you share in this same philosophy, I'll come to you for whatever parts my JVC needs. Deal?
02-04-2018, 12:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonhead View Post
THat's what I thought. I never trash any electronics myself. I just never did stock pile VHS machines.
If you share in this same philosophy, I'll come to you for whatever parts my JVC needs. Deal?
Sounds good to me!

The garage and attic both doubles as VCR graveyards. Panasonic and JVC. Those places are not full or anything, but a dozen or so husks are there. Some have already been partially gutted for parts, some not.

03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Free Member

Hi, Regarding the cracked gears issue, did someone tried the procedure below to bypass the DD system?

Quote:
After monkeying around with a broken JVC Dynamic Drum system, I'm posting my observations so far. Anyone else please add on.

So, my first job has been to bypass the dynamic drum which I've now done making the system operate like the newer (non dynamic drum) models.

There are 2 sets of gears on each side. they all move together in the same direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) as a team though one set will move at a slightly different speed. One gear is a screw that pushes against a metal post actually raising and lowering the entire side of the drum. The other gear pushes into a plastic ring that has another screw. When perfectly aligned, the gear will raise and lower a metal guide (in relation to what would be the bottom of the chassis). When not aligned, it spins in place slipping in the ring and doing nothing.

To get my system working again, I put slight pressure on the metal posts with the metal screw gears until the 2nd gear got traction and raised the metal guide on both sides all the way towards the top (closing the gap between guide and heads). The final position allowed me to remove both of the metal screw gears (one is black, one is white). and leave just the post gears that fit in the plastic rings. The ring and drum were still in correct alignment allowing me to move the ring slightly down on both sides (but not too much or it catches and you can't move it back up without inserting the metal screw gear again). With both sides of the guide pushed all the way up (closed), I assembled the dynamic drum without the metal screw gears. Now the tape plays perfectly in SP and EP (I checked some EP tapes recorded on this unit when the dynamic drum was new) and the dynamic drum gear train does nothing (spins but doesn't move the drum). I can FF and Rew just fine without lockup or shutdown and return to play with perfect alignment. Slow motion and 1.5x are clear, but after that noise enters the picture as expected because the drum cannot stay aligned without the missing gears.

I'll probably play around with it to try to get the dynamic drum working again, but this should help out those of you who have a broken gear to get the system playable again.

As far as head alignment, I don't have access to the equipment needed to check head alignment, but I can say the EP tapes I recorded a decade ago were playing rock solid on tracking without any need for any of the TBC features so it appears I found the "neutral" position for the dynamic drum.

If anyone has a factory assembled dynamic drum, I would love some close ups of the gear positions and gaps to maybe get to a spot where we can align these ourselves.
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...rum-Workaround

Last edited by Mejnour; 03-13-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo error
03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

I'd read that, but images would have helped.

03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'd read that, but images would have helped.
very true I been knocking my head on this
03-15-2018, 04:11 AM
Free Member

I'd help you if you help me. I got this jvc HR-s8600ms not working it has a dynamic drum.
I remember i've changed this "nappe" (don't know the english term) connecting the front panel to the mainboard. It worked at first but then i've manipulated (disconnected) this nappe or maybe another , now it won't start.
05-28-2018, 03:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
The plastic gear part, which they do break, is about $225 to $250 for the part (to install at least $100) found one vendor who sell this, for my own machine a 9900, paid for the part and than replaced it. It was not easy to repair. The only reason I did it this was the unit is the best playing 9900 I've have seen. Sometimes it is worth it.
Do you have a link to where you ordered the gears? Also did you have to realign the transport after replacing the gears?
09-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have a HR-S5800AM/HR-S5880AM which has been plugged in on the rack and showing the 4 dashes for maybe 8 years. Yesterday I had to use it for the first time for ages. I put a tape in and it got stuck in there.

After a while it did come out but when it goes in again all the LED lights up for a few secs then it goes back to the 4 dashes.

The 2025 battery in very low so will get a new one and have replace those is the remote as well.

This is the best box I have ever had so don't want to lose it and I am now ready to transfer so many VHS tapes to PC.

I am in Sydney Oz.

Any JVC people here who may look at it if I have to, without me having to mortgage the house?

Thanks

oz
09-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstar View Post
which has been plugged in on the rack and showing the 4 dashes for maybe 8 years.
That was a mistake. Gear that is not used for more than a month should be unplugged, and then routinely plugged in and checked a few times per year thereafter. The 24/7/365 puts too much wear on caps and other electronic parts.

Quote:
The 2025 battery in very low so will get a new one and have replace those is the remote as well.
I think you're panicking prematurely then. Try that, and report back.

09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply.

Yes you're right, I know I goofed up. As it was in a place I didn't look at much and as I wasn't using it, I didn't even think to turn off the power. Anyway too late now just hope it is okay.

I will get a 2025 battery today and see what happens, hopefully it will be fine.

I will get back.

Thanks again.
oz

-- merged --

Hi,

Well I changed to the new 2015 battery but unfortunately it still does the same.

Any ideas please?
09-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Having been powered on for so long, my immediate suspicion is capacitors/caps being bulged/leaky/bad. Open it, inspect carefully, especially around the power board.

Unfortunately, I'm not readily aware of anybody else down under that fixes PAL S-VHS decks. Most of our members from that continent have to import VCRS from Europe (and other non-VCR parts like TBCs and capture card from USA, from folks like me). But that hint here is that we have quite a few Australian members on the site, and I hope one comes along. You're always welcome to start to new thread, mention Australia in the title, and it may better draw attention to the issue. Sometimes bumping an old post has downsides.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ozstar (09-05-2018)
09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Free Member

Many thanks again for the help and advice lordsmurf. I will repost and see if I get any more reactions.

I found a place in Sydney online and awaiting their reply to my request.

http://www.jvpservicecentre.com.au/

oz
09-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
Edit: ok i have figured it out! problem solved!!!!

there are small black gears that jamm below the heads. they adjust the head angle. look at the second pic i have posted, i am pointing at them with the tip of my screwdriver. all you need to do is turn on your VCR whilst giving these black gears a roll with your finger...and they will jump to life and reset. And your VCR will stay on@!!!!!

then its a matter of dropping some grease on the gears.
This solved my issue, thanks
06-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Hi I have a JVC HRS-7860 when I load a tape it refuses to play and shuts down, could that be a mode encoder switch needing to be cleaned, please advise thanks.
06-29-2020, 10:50 PM
Free Member

Either one or could be both. The only way to find out is to roll up sleeves and start checking. Clean the mode switch if it didn't help it could be the dynamic drum.
07-06-2020, 05:37 PM
Free Member

Hi how do I take the mechanism out as I believe I have to take out the circuit board as well i have a JVC HR-S860 SVHS VCR that powers off and ejects a tape I cannot take out the mechanism to access the mode switch, please reply.
07-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Free Member

You will have to consult a service manual. I can't find one for the exact model, but the mechanism is shared between many decks. Based on the model number it will probably have the same as this one (last one in the post). Alternatively if it's not, the one described here (newer one) may be the correct one. For the former, the mode switch sits attached under the mechanism with a long screw, haven't tinkered with the latter one.