08-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Free Member

ya this is what god made Samsung and Sony VCRs for
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Or the older low-end JVC S-VHS VCRs, models 2x00 to 5x00.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Free Member

i now have 3 Dynamic Drum decks here all with broken plastic gears on the DD.
the parts appear to be no longer available.
this will probably eventually be the fate of all the DD decks
2 of the decks still work, but any attempt to FF or Rewind while in play jams the gears and shuts the unit down, you then have to remove the cover to unjam them
01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

I feel your pain , do you need to FF or Rewind while its playing? VCR's normally work best when doing one thing or the other, and sometimes trying to do both such as playing and rewinding can cause a bit of trouble unfortunately.

Thanks,
-JMP
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Free Member

the problem i have is not that i cant FF or rewind
it is that because i know the DD gears are f-ed, i dont trust that the DD is the perfect position.
i wouldn't dare use these decks for transfers until there are 100%.
the only fix will be to find a parts deck that still has good DD gears.
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Thank you Blackout!

I had the exact same symptoms with an HR-S9600U, would shut down after 3 seconds, and your fix got it back up and running. This problem started after trying to fast forward while playing.
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Free Member

the gears are probably cracked.
the gears dont move much while in play.
but they move alot if you rewind or FF.
it will happen again if you rewind or FF while in play.
03-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Free Member

i think youre right its probably the gears. they may not be *shredded* but might be on their way there and just slipping, then the "rest position" gets offset and the CPU gets it all wrong.

i would agree to not use forward or reverse when playing. actually i never use ff or rev whilst playing, it is a well known way to wear out your heads faster than anything else. i knew this since the 80s and ive never done it.

use a crap sony or samsung vcr, find the place to transfer, put the tape in the JVC and press PLAY.

i dont even reverse in my JVC...it throws shredded tape bits into the player as it scrolls. another job for the crap Samsung VCR i found on a naturestrip in the street hehe
03-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Free Member

the problem will get worse
the gears are plastic, but have a metal center shaft.
the gears crack from the OD in to the center shaft.
then they slip on the shaft.
the only way to fix is to find a parts deck and swap either the drum or better yet the entire transport.
i have been lucky finding broken decks cheap on ebay and was able to fix mine.
i even have an entire spare DD from a 9900
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Free Member

Volks that is exactly what it feels like...the gears are slipping, rather than actually shredding. Makes sense that they are slipping on their shaft.

have you been able to change just the gears without changing the head or assembly? I don't partically want to change the head (which is almost new) or the whole transport guts inside the vcr, just the gears.

I don't suppose dropping some Supaglue onto the centre of the gear/shaft to stop it slipping/spinning in the centre of the gear would work?
03-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Free Member

the gears are not available.
only way to fix that i can find is how i did it.
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I just wanted to join in on this as my 7600 was rewinding a tape and then decided to power off. It now currently does what someone mentioned earlier:

Quote:
- Can power on without tape, powers off after 3 seconds.
- Can insert tape while powered down, unit powers on, accepts tape, powers off after 3 more seconds.
- Can press eject while powered down, unit powers on, tape ejects, powers off after 3 more seconds.
I opened it up and can hear the tiny little click when turning on and then the click occurs again when the vcr powers down. I've tried the gear trick, however the gears still do not move with a push of the finger (forward or backward). Does this mean the solenoid controlling the gears is toast (if so, any pics on how I can replace this)? Do I need to just lubricate the gears before I give a push? Or is it another issue all together?

I figured I'd ask here first before I use my lack of experience, take the vcr apart and really bugger things up.

Thanks for any help (and all the tips that have already been posted!)

UPDATE: Right after posting I gave it another shot. And as I had my ear close to the VCR to hear the click occur before powering down. Didn't hear anything and I noticed everything was still on. So looks like I'm working however the gears didn't move with my finger (are they supposed to and I just misunderstood?). If the gears are supposed to move with my finger I'm sure I'll be posting here again very soon but until then dump as many VHS as possible.

RetroTy.com: The Pulse of Nostalgia

Last edited by RetroTy; 03-16-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated Issue
03-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Free Member

they are probably jammed bad
remove the whole drum - it is only 3 screws and 2 plugs.
examine the gears.
if the gears are cracked - you are f-ed

never use the good JVC decks to rewind/FF tapes
use crappy VCRs for that task
03-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Free Member

the trick is to push on the black gears AS YOU ARE CYCLING THE POWER ON THE FRONT ON THE VCR ON AND OFF EVERY 10 SECONDS OR SO. the solenoid seems to try and spin the gears for the 3 seconds that the JVC is on...then the CPU gets the message "gears jammed" and then shuts down the system. so don't try pushing on the gears whilst it is off. you need to be pushing on the gears with one finger on one hand, and have the other hand on the power switch on the front of the vcr and be doing both at the same time...and essentially you are "helping" the solenoid get the gears going.
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Free Member

Thank you both for the fast response. Sorry for my late reply as a few other things in life had me put this repair on hold.

So I've taken the drum out a 100x since volksjager suggested to do so. No cracks in the gears and everything seems to be ok. I check and everything spins properly (from what I can tell). Once I put everything back in place I power on and the gears begin to move but then the VCR shuts down after 2 seconds. When I try to power up the VCR nothing happens not even gear movement. (I've included a short video below to provide a visual: http://youtu.be/6YCMTMpB9fM)

So I then try Blackout's power cycle on and off every 10 seconds but it doesn't seem to get the gears going again. But if I take out the drum, test out the gears & manually spin the solenoid. The first time I power on the gears will work for 2 seconds.

Any idea or tricks on how to get this VCR fully operational again? Something that I'm missing or is it a lost cause?

Ty

p.s. I just wanted to thank you again for your help and this whole forum as a resource. I put up a kijiji post for a repair technician and the only advice I've received from that is to go to a Goodwill store and pick up another VCR for $5.
04-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Free Member

man u know that the JVC's will shut down after a few seconds if the lid is off the unit as well...they have a light-detection device, which is not to catch out tinkerers but actually to check if there is clear tape (the leader) running?

are u testing with the lid closed?
The following users thank Blackout for this useful post: zalgon26 (03-14-2021)
12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
removed and tested every single cap down the right hand side of the whole motherboard. thats all the caps in the power supply and everything surrounding....and then some more. all ok.

its not a cap issue.

its some kind of solenoid thats jammed. its a mechanical problem.

when i turn on my good 7600AM with the front power button i hear a solenoid "whirr" for a second. that sound is what is missing from the bad 7600AM. something is jammed or one of the gears not reset properly.

more investigation....

Edit: ok i have figured it out! problem solved!!!!

there are small black gears that jamm below the heads. they adjust the head angle. look at the second pic i have posted, i am pointing at them with the tip of my screwdriver. all you need to do is turn on your VCR whilst giving these black gears a roll with your finger...and they will jump to life and reset. And your VCR will stay on@!!!!!

then its a matter of dropping some grease on the gears.

my unit is now up and running but i wander if it is just a jammed gear issue long-term or rather more serious in that the solenoid that runs the gears might be worn. time will tell over the upcoming days...but this is a great result !!!! please try this with your units
I realize this is an older thread but wanted to say a big thank you:

I have had my JVC 9500U since they came out new.. I used it for video editing in combination with my computer at the time 90's.. Anyhow with the turn over of 2000 I had thought it wasn't 2K compatible and had the start and then stop/go into auto mode..

Anyhow I did ton's of websearch's every few years.. Of which yielded nothing (yup I kept it all this time Paid 700.00 for it new) an low and behold you came up with the exact problem.. It works again...

Thanks so much for coming up with the solution of which was elegant..
12-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Free Member

youre welcome! I did searches for months and months on this as well to no avail. I am sure this is helping a LOTT of people and will continue to help for as long as this thread stays up!
12-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Free Member

Hopefully more people will find this and be able to fix their machines then post up thanks to keep it active..

Took me about 1 hr to find this thread and then registered and then looked at the pictures which were key..

I'm not an electronics person per say so the information's guidance was perfect..
06-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Blackout you are the man. I followed your instructions after viewing your pictures and we are all good now. My JVC SVHS VCR does get used very often anymore but I am glad to have it working again.

A friend of mine gave me a head cleaning tape and when I played it that is when the shut down problem started. Hopefully this thread stays up for a long time.

Thanks again