05-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Free Member

the AG-DS850 is a big broadcast deck
i had a couple of them
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Free Member

OK, wanted to give my update regarding the AG-DS850 repair.

I gotten the call this morning from Starlit TV that my deck was ready to be picked up. I personally drove out to St. Clair Shores, MI where the facility is located (about 2.5 hour drive from where I live), nice decent sized building. Anyway picked up the deck and talked briefly to a nice gentleman named George. Pete unfortunately wasn't there today but found that him and George are brothers. I told him about this site and what brought me to their shop and to quote what George said, "We are old school, and we fix old school things!" He also asked me to spread the word, so I am doing that here!

My cost was $200 for the repair and around 80 caps were replaced on several module boards. Brought it home, powered it up and played a tape and sure enough the picture shows beautifully just as its supposed to.

So wanted to give my recommendation to Starlit TV for VCR repairs, as they have TONS of older gear and test equipment from what I've seen. They do give free estimates and they will let you know whether they can repair it or not. So obviously for any who have the infamous AG1980 with cap issues, we finally have a solid additional option to send it to them for repair. I hope these guys remain in business for a long time, as now's the time to get our units fixed while there are a few repair shops left to fix them!
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: Jazzspot (10-17-2014), volksjager (05-29-2014)
05-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Free Member

thank you for the follow-up
im glad they where able to fix your deck
the DS850 is a complicated machine so they definitely must know their stuff
i'll will try them next time i get a broken W-VHS here
05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
OK, wanted to give my update regarding the AG-DS850 repair.

I gotten the call this morning from Starlit TV that my deck was ready to be picked up. I personally drove out to St. Clair Shores, MI where the facility is located (about 2.5 hour drive from where I live), nice decent sized building. Anyway picked up the deck and talked briefly to a nice gentleman named George. Pete unfortunately wasn't there today but found that him and George are brothers. I told him about this site and what brought me to their shop and to quote what George said, "We are old school, and we fix old school things!" He also asked me to spread the word, so I am doing that here!

My cost was $200 for the repair and around 80 caps were replaced on several module boards. Brought it home, powered it up and played a tape and sure enough the picture shows beautifully just as its supposed to.

So wanted to give my recommendation to Starlit TV for VCR repairs, as they have TONS of older gear and test equipment from what I've seen. They do give free estimates and they will let you know whether they can repair it or not. So obviously for any who have the infamous AG1980 with cap issues, we finally have a solid additional option to send it to them for repair. I hope these guys remain in business for a long time, as now's the time to get our units fixed while there are a few repair shops left to fix them!
This review is so good, that I may give them my unit next time it needs repair...

...which is hopefully NEVER, but that's wishfuil thinking for you!

I really appreciate your review. We may have to redo this whole thread, and turn the first post into a list of reviewed (and approved) vendors for repairing various VCRs like the AG-1980P.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: imgoinmad (02-25-2018), Jazzspot (10-17-2014)
09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Free Member

Hey everyone, it looks like I may have another person who can work on our pro units. I'm currently corresponding with a guy based out of FL that has 35 years repair experience with the old broadcast and pro level decks, including the 1" VTR machines. He's also very familiar with the AG-1980 and its caps issues as he had many of those units at one time. I talked with him on the phone earlier this evening and he helped me to diagnose an issue with my Sony EVO-9800 deck. By giving him the serial number he was able to tell me that I have one of the really early production decks.

Seems like a really nice guy and he seems to know his stuff on these machines. I'm going to send my deck out there to him to see what he can do with it and if all works out, I will pass along his contact info here so that anyone else that has a unit that needs servicing or repair can do so. This will give us another option on where to send our units for repairs. I did tell him about this site.

I'll update as I can.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: Jazzspot (10-17-2014)
10-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Just had a good experience with TGrantPhoto at http://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/ind...epair-services. I got suckered into one of those high-priced rebuilds off eBay. When I had problems with it I hesitated to deal with them again, so I gave Tom Grant a chance at his repair package price. It turned out that the pricey rebuild had some defects, one of which was a broken video head. TGrant sent back a replacement AG-1980 at no extra cost, and even went thru a quick double-check and re-ship at no extra cost as well, What I should have done in the first place instead of buying a higher-priced defect from eBay was to have bought a TGrant rebuild at 1/3 less than the price for the original.

When TGrant shipped the replacement unit he included a small package of all the y/c board replaced caps. The black cover on the replacement was even cleaner than the original. Shipping was 2 days, intact. TGrant seems like a good bet IMO.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Jazzspot (10-17-2014)
10-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Free Member

Ok have an update on the repair. David has called me and informed me that the upper cylinder (video drum assembly) on the head was shot along with it being out of alignment. He had a parts unit with a good assembly and replaced that, plus did the alignment of the transport and did all other maintenance on the deck. Later he emailed me a video by my request showing the Hi8 video playback and plays like new. He also demo'ed by doing a recording on the deck as well and everything works great. He did a great job on getting my 9800A back up to full function again for a long time.

I spoke with him on the phone earlier tonight and will be shipping it back to me tomorrow or Monday. He's a really nice guy and loves what he does in working on these old decks. I've no doubt that he can fix the 1980/5710 without issue.

I will surely be sending my units for him to work on should they need servicing.

To be continued!
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: Jazzspot (10-17-2014)
10-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Free Member

Ok final update on my 9800A repair.

Deck arrived on Tuesday this week, nicely packed by Dave. Plugged it in and ran through some tapes and the Hi8 playback is great, plays back normally just like its supposed to. Did a great job on the alignment and overall maintenance. So now have a fully functionally serviced EVO-9800A. I'm going to take note on the hours on the deck and place a label on it so that I can keep track of the hours from here on out whenever the deck is used.
10-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Free Member

Hi All,
I am a infrequent poster, but a long time lurker. Really love this site! Looks like DigitalFAQ is getting more AV traffic that VideoHelp now.

I ran across this new ebay listing that is quite intriguing, and I would like some other members to look at it and give me their opinions. This ebay seller posted a "Repair Service" listing at a very attractive price for what he says he is going to do. He publishes the name of his business in the listing with his business address and phone numbers, including a Toll Free number. I Googled his business, found his web site and well, it looks legit! My question to the group here is: Does anyone have any direct experience or knowledge with this business? I mean, he is saying he will replace all the capacitors in an AG5710 (one of the SVHS machines I own), clean and adjust it for a FLAT fee of $199.00 + $20.00 return shipping! Based on what I've read here and on other forums, that seems like a screaming deal - IF the guy is trustworthy and competent to do what he says. I am posting the links here so you guys can see for yourself.

This is the ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...:SS:SS:US:1120
Here is his web site:
http://www.avrepair.com/index.htm

Anxious to hear what you think.

Also, I posted this over at the VideoHelp forum as well.
The following users thank GDogTech for this useful post: Jazzspot (10-28-2014)
10-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Free Member

GDogTech, thanks for the post and inquiries about this repair service. I also noticed this business's post on ebay the other day. I also saw an eBay post by this business for repair of AG-1980 decks for the same flat rate price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...3D261640592943

This business's eBay store listings has flat rate repair prices for other types of electronic items, primarily camcorders that use tape!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/electman/m.h...p2047675.l2562

I reviewed the actual website of this business (avrepair.com) and viewed the customer testimonials section. Plenty of good reviews for camera and camcorder repairs. I did a word search in that section for "VCR", "SVHS", VHS", and "Beta", and only found one review for the repair of a "beta". Not a deal breaker, but it would be reassuring to see customer reviews of their VCR repairs. I guess most people with the less expensive VCR just throw them away instead of sending them to Florida (where this business is located) for repair.

This repair shop lists a bunch of businesses and colleges that it's done repair work for.

His labor/repair costs on the ebay listing seems to be less then the costs that he posts on their website, unless all capacitors and other fixes to an AG-5710 and AG-1980 can be completed in 2-3 hours.

Labor Rates:
Professional Decks, Editors, Camera's and Camcorders
$65 - $95 / hr
Labor Rates Exclude Parts.
All Repairs Include Cleaning, Lubrication, and a 6 Month Warranty.
ONE YEAR WARRANTY available if optional repairs are approved - Simply inquire.

I would give him (the person's name is Cameron according to the testimonial section) a phone call and ask him pertinent questions about his repair expertise and thoroughness of his repairs that he states on ebay, before sending him my AG-5710 or AG-1980 for repair.

But it's always good to list a possibly good and reliable source for electronic equipment repairs!

Last edited by Jazzspot; 10-29-2014 at 12:17 AM.
11-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Free Member

I tried the info here for TGRANT PHOTO which was mentioned here by sanlyn. I first went to the website tgrantsales.com. Saw the info about $95.00 trade in credit of AG-1980 which can be applied to re-furbished AG-1980. The I contact and spoke with Tom Grant ---who was very professional and friendly over the phone. his business is located in Lodi, Ohio ---between Cleveland and Toledo areas of northern Ohio. I did send him an AG-1980 that was having no color and lines issues.
Applied the trade in credit toward refurb AG-1980 ---received today. Item in in excellent shape and re-painted cover --unit looks brand new. Have not tested the unit yet due to cold weather here --awaiting unit to room temperature. But I also purchased an AG-1979 refurb from him as well --unit in near mint new condition etc .. check out this guy's site --he also have refurb JVC SR10U and SR10US models available for purchase.
05-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

We're in the midst of updating this page.

I had a nice email chat with Tom Grant, owner of TGrant Photo (and Video).

Jots is still recommended, but with the retirement of their last VCR tech (and his current part-time role), it's sadly time to find some quality alternatives to take their place -- especially now that the turnaround times are increasing to 2-3 months.

What I find impressive about Tom is that you're told exactly how the unit is tested:

Quote:
About our VCR repairs

Our head technician and founder, Tom Grant, personally tests and repairs all the VCRs and video processors. We diagnose and repair using specialized equipment such as; a VCR analyzer, waveform analyzer, oscilloscope, head protrusion gauge, and head drum eccentricity gauge.

After repairs are completed, all VCRs are tested for correct playback and operation. We use special VHS alignment tapes that allow us to monitor and evaluate the vcr's performance on an oscilloscope.

Next, the real world test.....we play back over ten VHS tapes of known quality; tapes recorded in SP, LP and SLP speeds; tapes recorded off-air in 1980 and tapes that were professionally produced. We look for color worms, jitter and other visual problems.

Our professional Panasonic AG1980's must pass even more stringent tests. This includes further tests of the AG-1980's output waveform with an oscilloscope and comparing it to Panasonic's service specifications. We also test the functionality of the time base corrector and associated internal video noise reduction circuits.

Only after Tom Grant is satisfied with the playback quality will the VCR be listed for sale.
We're confident that you'll be very happy with a VCR from TGPSales, however if you have any reservations after your purchase, there's a ten day return policy (see our return policy)
Too many repairmen give too few details on exactly what is being done. Most have to be pressed for details (as was the case with Jots), and some remain vague even when asked. With those others guys, you're never really 100% sure what was done, or if it was really repaired. Even worse, many eBay sellers are just outright liars, and are selling broken "fixed" decks. So it's refreshing to see honesty and openness.

And much of that is same advice we've been doling out on this site for the past 10+ years now.

Plainly put, he's one of us. He's a video guy, doing for us what he's do for himself.

So, until further notice, he's getting our #1 suggestion on where to send Panasonic and JVC S-VHS VCRs for repair. Hopefully he's not looking to retire soon.

http://www.tgrantphoto.com

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Free Member

As an FYI, the Panasonic AG-5710 that I bought from Tom Grant In October 2014, is still working very good!!! I've probably played and transferred over 300 tapes on that deck so far. VHS & VHS-C tapes of all recorded speeds, and not a single hiccup or issue yet. I'm really comfortable in referring Tom's business to others!
11-04-2015, 04:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Starlit TV (http://www.starlittv.com) has been removed from the list.
According to this VHS thread, they are no longer servicing S-VHS VCRs as of today.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: VideoTechMan (02-03-2016)
02-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Starlit TV (http://www.starlittv.com) has been removed from the list.
According to this VHS thread, they are no longer servicing S-VHS VCRs as of today.
Wow, I just discovered your post on this. That's a real bummer about them no longer servicing SVHS decks. Its possible there have been many to send in their 1980's to be fixed and the time it takes to get it repaired.

I'm glad at least I got my AG-DS850 machine repaired by them then, it still works great! This makes it even more important to get these decks repaired and serviced, as the techs able to work on them are continually diminishing on a regular basis and will make it even harder to get them serviced in the times ahead.
02-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Free Member

These all look great, but the USA is an awfully long way to send such a heavy item for repair or service. I've got an HR-S7722EK that I'd really like overhauling but don't know where to send it and I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't make me think it's going to come back in a worse state than I sent it in. Any suggestions, anyone?
04-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Free Member

Just adding to the pile of evidence as to Tom Grant’s excellent work. He’s brought to spec two of my 1980p decks with a third on the way soon. His work is excellent on both the record and playback sides. Packing is excellent as is communication, and I must Admit that his refinish of the cover looks pretty nice

Tom is not one to provide significant documentation (no signal/scope traces, old parts, photographs etc.) as some other techs do for some of my other elderly equipment e.g. Willy Hermann with Nakamichi decks, but the work still speaks for itself.

No updates to this thread in a while; I wanted to chime in and say Tom’s work is still great as of March 2018.
08-09-2018, 01:47 AM
Free Member

Willy is one of the few "reliable" Nak techs left in the biz. On the Nak site, Tom from down south is extremely knowledgeable but I hear horror stories about his turnaround and even missing decks. ESL, well.....take out a second mortgage on your house.

As with anything, even the good pros make mistakes. I have a 700ZXL that had to be sent back to Willy a second time for a whining noise on playback. He didn't charge the second time but had the deck almost a yr. Apparently, he fussed with it when he had the time. It's been so long I don't remember the discovery/fix, but it even surprised Willy.

Turnaround is important and so don't let the pro off easy by saying you're in no hurry. They have an entirely different view of time than the rest of us mere mortals. Some of these guys will have decks sit on a shelf for six months before they even look at it.

Kevin
11-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Free Member

To add to and resurrect this old thread.....rumburaski just went through my Panasonic 1970 and did a great job. TBC was dead, he replaced the CB with a used one. Was working other than that when I sent it. Nice to have it cleaned and thoroughly tested though. I think in most cases it's better to work with an individual, rather than a company.

Get a clear understanding of how much the repairs might be, especially if you have something wrong with the unit. Shipping fees are all over the place...sent it for $49 insured, had to pay $68 to have it come back insured....same distance. USPS was usually cheaper than anyone else, but that has changed. Go online with your box measurements and total weight....print out the estimate and take it with you to the carrier.

Sure enjoy watching all these old VHS tapes!

Kevin
12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Free Member

I had a JVC S-VHS deck which had the infamous "Loading" issue. After I was unable to repair the unit myself, I sent it in to Bammel TV in Houston, which is a local shop which still works on high-end VCRs. They do charge a diagnostic fee of (in this case) $75, but the fee is applied to the repair once the determination is made. The total cost, including the diagnostic fee, for repair of my JVC was $225. I'm satisfied with the quality of their work.

After the VCR was repaired, I gave them a TBC-1000 which had image issues. They were able to troubleshoot and localize the problem to a specific processor board, but due to the way the board was assembled and the fact that spares were not available they were unable to complete the repair. They reassembled and returned the unit to me, and offered me a discount on my next diagnostic charge as they were unable to repair this unit. I'll be willing to do business with them again.
The following users thank ehbowen for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-09-2018)