Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Free Member

I owned this unit for some time now and have loaded alot of family videos over the years, but the Player is reading "LOADING" when powered on I have switched the unit on as per previous threads, and everybody is taking about Faulty capacitors ( i have no experience on electronic repairs)
Does any body know if i remove the HHD from the unit and install it in my pc will the drive and data be recognised by my PC.
If not is there a way to remove the video files onto my pc and reburn them onto a DVD

Overall how can i save the data on the HDD and make them workable for my familyto enjoy over the years?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Free Member

this is why you should never use DVR's or hard drives as a sole archive. these unit are notorious for bad caps.

you can try it but a PC may not recognize the drive.
best bet would be to buy an identical working unit and swap drives or have your unit repaired.
once you get it working back up your videos on dvds
08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
There's several things going on here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarnos View Post
I owned this unit for some time now and have loaded alot of family videos over the years
DVR/TiVo hard drives were unfortunately not intended for anything other than temporary use. These are not long-term storage devices due to the proprietary nature of the data storage on the hard drive, compared with above-average abuse given to these machines versus that of computers. You'll want to keep this in mind for all future use of hard drives attached to digital video recorders.

Quote:
but the Player is reading "LOADING" when powered on I have switched the unit on as per previous threads, and everybody is taking about Faulty capacitors ( i have no experience on electronic repairs)
As discussed in other threads in the Video Hardware Repair sub-forum, "LOADING" is a generic JVC error message used anytime anything is wrong. It would just as easily read "ERROR", "PROBLEM" or "HELP ME, I'VE FALLEN, AND I CAN'T GET UP" for all the use it is. The problem could be the DVD drive, the hard drive, or capacitors on the mainboard. The last issue -- bad capacitors -- is most likely. You'll need to find a competent electronics tech that knows how to test and replace bad caps. Don't waste time asking about the JVC brand, or model numbers, or anything of that nature. That's all secondary and unimportant, when it comes to replacing caps.

When I had a DVD recorder fixed some years back, the broadcast media instructor at a local college was able to fix it. Another option is to send it to a repair shop (such as Jots, which is the company we recommend for repairs).

Quote:
Does any body know if i remove the HHD from the unit and install it in my pc will the drive and data be recognised by my PC. If not is there a way to remove the video files onto my pc and reburn them onto a DVD Overall how can i save the data on the HDD and make them workable for my family to enjoy over the years?
You cannot. DVD recorders use a proprietary data storage format that is unrecognizable to computers. While the hard drives are physically the same, and can be plugged into a computer, the computer will consider it to be blank, and ask you to format it. That would obviously erase anything that's on it.

And again, it's probably not a hard drive error anyway -- you'll need to test and replace capacitors first.

Best wishes to you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Free Member

Okay dropped it off to the local electronic repair shop replaced a few blown capcitors managed to reapir the power card and supply but have identified also the dvd writer is faulty and is non economical to continue the repairs... Does anyone have any idea if i can remove the info from the internal HHD drive OR from where i can pick up 2nd hand replacement DVD writer??? I have found some dvd's that i created with the player but no dvd player will read these dvd's not sure why the players are unable to read these DVD'S Also is it possible to rip this info off the DVD'S as it contains some very important family members?
08-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Free Member

No, you can't get the info off the hard drive per Lordsmurf's reply above.
One way is to capture your stuff if the hard drive is operating either by capture card or dvd recorder.

Does JVC have replacement optical drives?
How much are you willing to spend to get it fixed?
The few remaining big repair shops would likely know all models that use the same drive?
Maybe one of them would have a spare drive for it.
08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarnos View Post
but no dvd player will read these dvd's not sure why the players are unable to read these DVD'S
You probably never FINALIZED the discs. If that's all it is, you could either buy another JVC (sometimes Panasonic) to finalize them. Or you could send them here to us, and for a small fee we could finalize everything -- as well as copy to archival media. The price will likely be similar. Contact Us if interested, and we could at least test and analyze the discs for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
Does JVC have replacement optical drives?
Yes, but they're expensive. In years past, people reported being able to dismantle the drives and swap out internal assemblies. It's not a "whole drive" swap, but a partial one. You mostly just need to replace the laser/lens portion of the drive, as that's likely what has died.

Also be sure you've tried using good discs. And "good discs" means 16x Verbatim DVD-R (and NOT the "Life Series" from local stores).
Buy these, and only these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitalfaq-20

08-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Free Member

not sure about your model, but my DR-MV5 has a normal looking computer IDE DVD-R drive made by Hitachi.

if yours uses a funny proprietary drive then i think you best option is the buy another working unit - that way you can swap in your hard drive and get the video off it, you'll also then be able to finalize your unfinished dvds.
08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Free Member

His will likely have a proprietary burner.
It is capable of high speed dubbing from hard drive to disc so probably not a standard.

Probably his best bet would be to send his dvds to Lordsmurf.

Great price on those blank DVDs, anyone needing them, support the site through the link.
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
His will likely have a proprietary burner. It is capable of high speed dubbing from hard drive to disc so probably not a standard.
"High speed dubbing" is a fancy way of saying the DVD recorder copies video, unaltered, at 4x burning speed. Remember that 4x was the maximum write speed at the time these DVD recorders were new, back in 2004.

(Sadly, a lot of newer 2007-2008 models kept at 4x, too, even though 16x was perfectly possible. It was done for media reasons. Manufacturers didn't want to be blamed for cheap discs, so easier to just pull down speed to a safer 4x max.)

I've taken apart a number of JVC recorders, and it does vary by model --- as well as sub-model (i.e. "Made in Japan" units vs "Made in China" units). Some have easier-to-swap whole drives, and models vary from Hitachi to LG to Optiarc. And some can be directly swapped out. In other cases, you'll have to dissect two drives and perform surgery on the lens assembly.

I've never seen a unit "die" from a botched DVD drive replacement. In fact, I've botched drive replacements -- sometimes on purpose, for testing alternative drive models -- and had to readjust what I was doing before it worked.

It just takes a bit of effort, from anybody willing to experiment and tinker.

08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Free Member

I may take the cover off one of my DR-DX5 and see if I can tell what is in it yet I don't how these differ from the MH30s.

Tags
dr-mh30, dvr, hhd, jvc, loading